My very, very DIY tripower intake mod.

FalconSedanDelivery":2bucteiu said:
oops My Bad , :banghead: It IS someone on here that has it, I will check my records , Sorry, Ok Update its Gene 64 2dr, that bought it

Wow, cool. Great pickup Gene! Powerband and everyone else here who isn't Gene, we sure missed out on a truly great engine, and it was for sale for just 1500 bucks.

It'll always be your engine,FalconSedanDelivery. I've taken carefull stock of everything you've said about carb, ignitions, transmissions, cams and torque converters. I think I understand about 1% of it, so I'm well on the way...

Taking a quarter of an inch collectively off the 250 engine's height by decking the head and block was a master coup.

Everyone here should go over his Tuesday August 30, 2011 post on 2 and 4-bbl carb positioning and understand it.

I've looked at a few really good weld ons.

and airborne

airborne":2bucteiu said:
Here are pictures of my 66 Mustang with my homemade tri-power that I built with the help of the combined experience of this site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93589044@N ... hotostream

and Patrick66's

Our member patrick66.

patrick663carbtripowerhead.jpg

He had his machine shop do a welded C6 DE 6090 B X6 head (predrilled Thermocator without the AIR system), and they mig welded in two ports.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63673&p=487870#p487870

Page 52 of his 55 page shows the steps.
Very nice work.

http://s237.photobucket.com/user/patric ... =3&page=52

I liked Colton Andersons set up in2 inch box, so I have two Ni99 welded on intake manilfold adaptors, one (NCHO-3V) for three 1-bbls, and one (NCHO-6V) for three 2-bbls, but they feed from the top like Patrick66's welded on items, and require a Ferrair or Lamborghini air filtercleaner.

See http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3012033/1 ... ng/page-4/

and click load more posts 9 times. Patrick66 is a member here.

The Ak Miller system from Horseing around with the Mustang six is smarter concept. For any kind of Holley 2300 series down draft carb in the stock position on a 250, you have to cut the choke air horns off the carbs, and run feedback carb style cold start enrichment.

First Fox, you'll be the first to articulate a special blend of

Ak Miller's Stub welded-on-inlets to small log head 67 Mustang 200

and Lincs200's sidewinder manifolding.

Lics200logintakemod.jpg

Should be epic!

I'm happy to report that yes, I have FSD 250.
It was a very long trip back late in 2013 to go and get it but well worth the trip. I can't wait to get it installed in my Falcon and get to the strip.
The problem is I still have yet to switch out my 200 with it. I had a very busy 2014 and haven't had any time to get to it.
Growing pains (all good) with a company I started, learning to fly and my son needing a lot of help putting together a 67 Galaxie. FSD also helped him with his knowledge and putting together a distributor for his built up 390.
I have a lot of work to do with the Falcon starting with replacing the rear frame rails then getting the 250 installed.

Unfortunately we will have to wait until at least late April before New England Dragway opens. 14's would sure be nice.

Gene

Its all good Gene, at least its safe, and gone to a great home.

Now, we can get you to rephoto it, and blow up the pictures in huge megapixels and find out just what else FSD did to make such a normally latent engine go so darned well.

I spent all my time on FSD's facebook and FSD dragway site trying to get a picture that showed the carbs and air cleaner stub mouths, and all the drama.

Drag racers have always been a special breed, and Farron has always made it hard for us regular guys to copy all his hard work....

First Fox":1tk2snom said:
wsa111":1tk2snom said:
Prime example, the big block chevy performs better with the oval port heads rather than the rectangular port heads.
With your turbo deal any combination will be better than the naturally aspired intake.
Whatever it will be better than the stock log head. Bill

You are discussing something there that I am very familiar with and with which I have a lot of experience as well. Your comparison is apples and oranges as you are talking about the cross sectional shape and size of a port, not a plenum where velocities are relatively low. And even with that being true, it is not the port SHAPE difference between the two that makes a difference in power or more accurately airflow, it is the overall AREA of the ports. The rectangular BBC ports are much larger than the oval ports and that's where the added airflow and loss of port velocity comes from, not the shape difference between the two styles. There is also a ROUND port variant of BBC heads as well known as "peanut" ports heads, and they have even greater port velocity as the ports are VERY small. And while they make terrific low speed torque, they won't flow enough air to rev past 4000 rpm. Also, the oval port heads indeed do NOT always out perform the rectangular port heads. They are intended for medium speed engines and they excel in those application. The large rectangular port heads excel when reving to 8 or 10 thousand rpm and the peanut port heads are the way to make diesel like torque in a tow rig. Its all about application, same as with a lot of things we discuss.
You are correct when the only heads available were the factory heads. For the street the oval ports worked great for a street engine.
AFR now offers some pretty stout oval port heads for the BBC.
Best of success on your project any thing you do will out perform the stock log.

it will be very interesting to hear your results first fox. I debated going with the plenum on my most recent modified log but wanted to try the 6-1 collector under thr carb so mine is almost done. for my next one I will certainly go with a plenum design so I can compare and keep pursuing improvements on my i6. way to go first fox.

Although I've seen the drawing on this forum several times - I am still impressed with Lincs200's sidewinder manifold idea -- it looks as of it would be a great work-around to some of the existing limitations.

The topic is side mounting a plenumb., and log kit modifications or changes that allow this to take place. If you are using draft carbing, here is how it can work.

To show you what possible without even a turbocharger, but just a great cam and a nine port head nigh on over40 years ago.

The 202 cubic inch L6 Holden XU1 GTR 3300's in 1972 made 216 hp flywheel hp is race trim with this Three side draft Stromberg Zenith CDS175 carb set up. It was good enough to win a 6 hour, 500 mile road race in Bathurst Australia

from http://www.partscloner.com.au/homephotoone.jpg

The next year, the 1973 Bathurst Torana XU1 GTR 3300 used triple 2-bbl DCOE 45 carbs with half the barrels inactivated for about 230 HP flywheel net hp.

The 14 hp boost came soley from the use of those huge 40 mm chokes (bigger than 1-9/16") in the 1-3/4" throttle carbs, and reliability from special Cologne Capri V6 style solid skirt cast pistons.

Thank you guys for your response and interest in this project. I apologize for not updating but I was injured in my garage while doing some suspension work and have been unable to do anything with it or barely even type a response here. But I will finish this project and update for you guys because if there is one thing that there is already too much of in these forums is projects that are forgotten or people promising to update and then disappearing for eternity.

I will do this.

A thumbs up, and get well.

Please take some time to consider that we can't controll everything that happns to us, even when we are very safety conscoius like I know you are... things do happen. Remember that your contribution to our lives at Ford Six has been truly inspirational, and I think everyone here would share that sentiment. You are a true performance disciple, but in being a great follower, you are also an outstanding leader.

As our FSP I6 leader Jack Collins once siad it best,

"sometimes life intersects on a good plan".

As a less than as serious as to your injury adjunct,...

I have been busy working on my triple carb project, needed an extra few sensors to resolve throttle positioning to my data logger. The US now market is big enough to have helped reduce the unit price to a 10th of the OEM cost on some parts, so I've been waiting for the package to come thru. I was pretty exicited, and was elated and had a real spring in my step prior to Thursday, 12 noon, December 2014...

Sadly, everything was going well untill I had an accident with a log splitter while doing my other job wood cutting that day. The Monterey cypress is a stinker to split, so I've used a really awesome, quick gasoline power splitter, lovely machine. It doesn't suffer fools gladdly, and at hat time, I dang near took my thumb off. 30 years without an workplace accident untill that day.

Thank G-d, it's okay, despite it hangin on by 60 thou, the doc stitched it up under local, and I've been recuperating too. Got feeling, blood flow and just thankfull it wasn't even worse..

My solace is that I'm not maimed, and recovering, but its been very hard cause I work 4 jobs and was working on my XEC project full bore till that day.

My thougts, our thoughts, are with you. Good news is that my doc checked the thumb, and its ready for physio now, and Im able to drive after 3 weeks off work. We are a tyrpic naany state her In Moo Zealand, so our high tax rate pays for the entitlement to be on workers compensation till the end of the month.

But that US part arrived from LA today, and now I'm able to data log two vehciles at the same time to back to back compare my enginering work.

I'll PM you, I'm working on something thats maybee related to your plans, which may just help and inspire you thru your long recuperation ahead.

First Fox":3i3xopew said:
Thank you guys for your response and interest in this project. I apologize for not updating but I was injured in my garage while doing some suspension work and have been unable to do anything with it or barely even type a response here. But I will finish this project and update for you guys because if there is one thing that there is already too much of in these forums is projects that are forgotten or people promising to update and then disappearing for eternity.

I will do this.

you are not supposed to hurt yourself working on the car dude. you hurt yourself sliding into turn three and hitting the wall so that both you AND the car need body work. :p :p

get well quick.

Was reading a book today

img_8844.jpg

Then I remembered.

How are you, Mr Fox?

First Fox":2ydirv4r said:

I will do this.

i have tried to improve on the offy design. when i bought my tri-power head, the offy had been cut into 3 pieces and the head did not include the linkage so i decided to make my own fully adjustable progressive linkage using heim joints, levers, a chain link from a bike chain, and a piece of round stock rod. i had the back carb port of the offy milled to match the front and matched the size of the intake holes on the offy.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=74 ... =3&theater

Hahaha... Nice, Dean! :beer:

Truly sorry guys. I of course was injured around Christmas and at the same time found myself unemployed for the first time in 25 years and the construction company I worked with went under and I have not been back to work since. I have not been on the forum much and have had little to offer, but I am bouncing around again now though and back in the garage full time working on some projects to help make some money to keep the lights on, including a twin turbo bent 8, 4 speed fairlane that will be Sol to some old white guy with too much disposable income. :beer:

Of all people in the world, Mr comet actually popped his head over the other day to check on me and remknded me of the forum. Thanks for your concern guys and believe me, when I am on top of my finances this will get done. I promise. :beer:

And good god man, I hope that thumb healed up! It looks awful and its got to be hard using air tools with half a thumb.

The fingernail has almost grown bacon, um, back on, and I'm using my tools, welder etc.

Sadly, I've got rather a lot of work if I want to Fox around...

Just touching base again guys. I haven't forgotten about this project and I won't leave tou guys hanging. I am doing side work to pay my bills and am keeping my head above water but I will get back to it when I am on top of things again. :beer:

Dean... What the hell happened to your car man? Are foxbodies easy to come by there? Uggghh. Sorry man.

First Fox":18nu8fs5 said:
Just touching base again guys. I haven't forgotten about this project and I won't leave tou guys hanging. I am doing side work to pay my bills and am keeping my head above water but I will get back to it when I am on top of things again. :beer:

Gene 64 2dr":18nu8fs5 said:
I'm happy to report that yes, I have FSD 250.
It was a very long trip back late in 2013 to go and get it but well worth the trip. I can't wait to get it installed in my Falcon and get to the strip.
The problem is I still have yet to switch out my 200 with it. I had a very busy 2014 and haven't had any time to get to it.
Growing pains (all good) with a company I started, learning to fly and my son needing a lot of help putting together a 67 Galaxie. FSD also helped him with his knowledge and putting together a distributor for his built up 390.
I have a lot of work to do with the Falcon starting with replacing the rear frame rails then getting the 250 installed.

Unfortunately we will have to wait until at least late April before New England Dragway opens. 14's would sure be nice.

Gene

So how you doing First Fox, 64 200 ranchero and Gene 64 2dr; the Tri Power Triad?

Care to fill us in?

P.S Got a picture of the old FSD monster last week in a FB post to 64 200 ranchero and MustangGeezer as well as others.....Faron's old beast!

Before, all I had was this

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72738&p=559154#p559154
and this

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69857&p=535710#p535710
xctasy":18nu8fs5 said:
FWIW, the log mount tri power is a very poor kit, with poor porting giving inconsistant power due to different hole sizes between the center carb and the outers. For the early ones, 1.3 center, 1.09 outer, for the later ones, 1.6875" center, 1.4375" outers. Either way, the air fuel ratios are not even through the rev range, and you have to spend an amount of dyno time to get them working well.

If done right, you can get 143 rwhp with just three 29 mm progressive ICT Weber 1-bbls on a 200 cube 61 Falcon tudor, or over 210 hp with three ' straight unison linkage' Autolite 1101 in the center and 1904 Holley's outboard on a 65 Mustang (Drag car only) 250 Six + goodies , , 14.39 so far.

For 200 dyno figures, see kevinl1058 on http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64712.

Flywheel Corrected # 177.05H.P., 204.20 lb-ft
H.P. peak at 5100 RPM. Torque Peak at 3250 RPM

Dyno3.jpg

Video http://vimeo.com/20044528

For 250 quarter mile figures, see FalconSedanDelivery.

#108 by FalconSedanDelivery » Tue May 10, 2011

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 31#p502631

This guy is too quiet, his set up is very creditable 200-225 flywheel hp, and most likely the most powerful triple 1-bbl around. He runs a unison linkage, high initial advance of 16 to 18 degrees, total timing to 30 degrees its all in at 2350, decked block 100 thou and head 120 thou for huge 12.3:1 C/R, and the worlds neatest tri power intake ever seen. His 14.39 @ 90.76 mph was is shifted at 5000 and 4300 at the traps, earlier runs were 5200 and 4700 rpm. He ran with 3.5:1 gears for the 14.39. Best 60 foot time 1.915 secs in a 2600+ pound car with a an estimated 165 at the rear wheels.

Finally got a close up from a 2010 August 7 photo...the 14 second machine!

And all the other photos FSD posted.

Partway thru timeslip at Beaver Springs.

FSD in action...

proper sized pics

I wasn't a Facebook user then...big mistake!

That is an awesome setup. I love the sleeper look, too. Strictly business under the hood.

What is that copper line from the fuel block on the fenderwell?

Back