Converting to a Carter YF and Throttle Cable

A good YFA is a lot neater...its a natural fitment.

2594472_15_full.jpg

Yes, far more organic looking in it's 'natural' state...beats the pants off this look...

:rolflmao: However, like any good legend...those links above make even this map start to make sense ;)

Those FTE links above are a great help for getting a better grasp on my situation or planned concoction (especially this one)...thanks again for that (y)

xctasy":3owc1bbl said:
Easy. Its an early electric switch, some basic thermatic valve. Not sure what for. None of my searching showed me what it was called, but certainly by 1985, none of the air cleaners had it.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/70660 ... eaner.html

What is your carb really

Is it one of these pre YFA types with the later large stud spacing

the buypartsonline "Parts OnLine" YF US$153.39 carb is listed as

1.57" venturi
1 -11/16 throttle bore ?

It won't really be a 1.57" venturi, is it?. Thats dang huge, considering the 240 Autolite 1101 was 1.29, and the Ford 300 truck YFA was about 1.3" venturi.

Does it have a cast iron throttle body?

What is the stock jet and metering rod?

I'm busy looking at recalibrating one of the smaller 2.0/2.3 Lima OHC YFA feedbacks for my triple carb instillation, and I've got diiferent data for the YF.

Doug D's mob at The Slant Six forum has got all the 80 three step metering rods they commonly used, from the lean to rich, everything from the first year YF's from the early 50's in Willy's Jeeps to the YF common replacements. Carter BBD 2-BBL items fit too.

You can get a default Q2505-045 YF metering rod from the Quadrajet Parts
http://quadrajetparts.com/carter-carbur ... -1193.html

(The Q2505-045 is a 75-1862 replacement that goes with a 101 jet), or specs on the 75-1500 that goes with a 93.5 thou jet for a Willys 134 cuber. The info exists for them, though you have to network for an alternative source, or have a jewler or machinist make one for you. Jets exist from 74 to 119, or from 71 in BBD's

For that matter, there is enough calibration info on using, say two BBD 2-BBL 75-2226 metering rods with 89 jets from a 225 2-bbl slant in a two YF instillation.

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43724
http://www.troberg-larsen.priv.no/mopar ... g_rods.jpg

xctasy":2cw7ffej said:
What is your carb really

Is it one of these pre YFA types with the later large stud spacing

the buypartsonline "Parts OnLine" YF US$153.39 carb is listed as

1.57" venturi
1 -11/16 throttle bore ?

It won't really be a 1.57" venturi, is it?. Thats dang huge, considering the 240 Autolite 1101 was 1.29, and the Ford 300 truck YFA was about 1.3" venturi.

Does it have a cast iron throttle body?

What is the stock jet and metering rod?

Unfortunately, I don't have 'good' answers to those questions yet x.

May be a couple, the throttle bore is the larger 1-11/16". I do not think the venturi is that large (1.57" only ~2/16" smaller than the throttle bore), but I failed to mic it before installation. I also have not opened it up to check the specs on the metering rod or jet. I have a feeling it is jetted a bit rich without having done an initial plug read as yet. However, I don't believe it to be terribly rich, as the first tank of 'mixed' driving returned mpg of 19.94. My best mpg with the Pony Vaporizer was 21.23 on a highway only tank. [note: since adding the 5spd and disc brakes, I find it real difficult to keep my foot out of it around town :eek: ].

I'm relatively sure the lower throttle body is cast aluminum (may be able to check that with a magnet), and the mounting holes came slotted (presumably for multiple installations).

The carb has been performing very well. The one additional mod I'm considering (after the air breather pre-heater), is installing a dashpot. The integral throttle return spring mounted on the throttle shaft is very strong, and at warm operating temperature can give a slight studder on throttle release between shifts (throttle slamming shut).

I'll try to fill in some of the blanks as I go forward. Still happy with how the mod has turned out so far, and hopeful for greater efficiency as I learn the ins and outs of this Chinese Carter knock-off.

No problem. I appreciate the height stats at the start of your post.

The Rochester 2 jet is like 4-4/5" tall, while the Holley 2300 2-bbls are 5-5/16" before it gets a 1-9/16" choke cut off to reach 3-3/4" tall.

Building a dosier on Carter YF's is hard because of the variances. First version, (previeiwed in 1949, but based on a rework of the water proof 1946 Jeep Carter YS) were manual choke like this early item.

1967Camaro230L6CarterYFCarbUpper.jpg
1967Camaro230L6CarterYFCarbLower.jpg

In 1967, it was the # YF-4367S/ YF-4368S Camaro 230 140 hp and 250 155 hp L6 carb, This was a Ford and AMC based major change revised version from 1966- on, AMC 1966-1976, Jeep 1971- on, Mercury 1968-on

By 1973, it was like this. About as similar to the early versions as a Harley Davison is to a bicycle...

1973FordF100CarterYFTop.jpg
1973FordF100CarterYFBottom.jpg

Along the way in the lates 60's there were the 170 105 hp , and the 200 115 hp Ford Mustang IMCO, then was a brief 250 155 hp Ford I6 carb

The first versions before the YFA 1978 name change were

193 and 200-cfm.

The 1978 YFA then dropped to 195 cfm, which I think was only 1-11/16" throttle.

The traditional sizes were 1-1/2" for the small 134 Jeep, probably 150 cfm,
1-5/8" for the 226 i6,

then 1-11/16" for the 240 and 300 YF and YFA's, probably 187, 193, 200 and then 195 cfm.

Venturis were as large as 1 5/16".

I don't know if the Feedback AMC 2.5 or 2.0/2.3 EAO/Limas were any different to the 4.9 Big Six YFA.

I've put feelers out here and elseware for YFA info on stock FoMoCo jetting. There are all the differernt sizes and CFM's of YF's and YFA's, so its the most versilile carb in the business. Starting off at 72 hp gross (around 62 hp net) in 134 Jeeps and Henry J's, ending up with 72 hp net in a 2 liter Ranger, but a swinging by the 258 AMC's and 300 Fords in 110 to 123 hp net spikes (145- 155 gross in the 250). Thats a 100% peak hp variance from hatching to scratching.

I'm looking at the jetting for the feedback 2.0 and 2.3 Lima engines from 1983 to 1988, and the venturi and throttle sizes.

Your carb looks a lot like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YF-Style-Ca ... 1531917749

A-ha. The lo profile 250 and 300 YFA carb air cleaner is interchangable, as your photo the air cleaner snout stamping says. The X-shell Granada, Comete/Maverick/Monarch need these air cleaner housings as they are the low hood cars with very tall long stroke 250's. The X- shell variant versions also fit the F100 300 cube truck.

Notice that conversely, the F150 truck air cleaner serves both the 250 and 300.

This is the F150 300 air cleaner on the Carter YF equiped 250

75_250_120Small-1.jpg

Your Carter YF air cleaner in one of its natural settings is this 78 Granada 250.

That was the other side of this 80 Monarch 250 shot. Same air cleaner, I think

Notice that both the Holley 1946 with its factory adaptor is 5 1/8" tall, the Carter YF lookes 5 -1/8 " without it. I guess the earlier Carter YF on auto IMCO Mustangs and the later Carter RBS would be the same height.

The 'bump' for the YF hot air automatic choke and Holley 1946 on my Fox air cleaner lookes the same.

What air filter part number are you using?

Ahhhh, the old 73-74 E100 E200 E300 NOS FORD D3UZ_9600_A!

Nice score for someone.

It stayed around quite a while with its extra emmisions additions..

1985F150300BigSixCarterYFFuelSystemandAirCleaner.jpg

Despite being a seriously weird lookin mother, would the huge depth at the rocker cover to hood of D3UZ-9600-A aircleaner be a better fitting air cleaner than the Frankenstang D5DF-9600-A?

D5DF9D626DAMainAircleanerfor250_300_509enginesCropped.jpg

The E and F 300 carb hat lookes insanely tall on that 250 engine. Why didn't every X and Fox shell Granda use it, maybee the Fox 3.3's as well. Is there space for the Fox body cable accelerator linkage with this kind of air cleaner.

I rebuilt the cylinder head back in 2011, and quickly copied off some internet pictures from some Fairmont 3.3.

Then suddenly discovered the Holley 1946 and Ford F150 Truck, Ranger SUV or Fox body sedan Carter YFA's were often swaped about onto cars that were born with a Holley 1946.

It's very confusing, since T, B abd X code 3.3's in the Fox years only came with Holley 1946 1-bbl carbs. Just found the pictures again today in my basement while I was researching the YFA.

They were run off on my Canon iP100 printer 3-1/2 yrs ago. It was on ebay finds, so the pictures have been autopruned, and probably don't exist on the net any more, so these pictures of the photoprints are very grainy, but here they are on that high mount 1982 Fox Fairmont, a YFA carb!

The Carter YFA was also a 250 Granada carb, and fits on top of a 3.3 like they were made to. Which is kind of right, they were. This car has an L code 76-79 or 1980 C code 4.1 Granada/Monarch air cleaner, and I'm giuessing the YFA carb came from an F150 4.9 or the last of those X-shell Granny or Monarch's. Or perhaps a Jeep 2.5 or 258.

Its has an anodized blue tag which is covered by piece of flat plate cranked at an angle

That's jugs been everywhere man.

The air cleaner lookes like yours Frankenstang!

That aircleaner you used looks near identical to the one on my grandpa's "new" 76 f100, here's a picture:

Not sure why they used sure a low profile air cleaner on that pickup, there's atleast 6" of clearance!

I'll have to keep this in mind if I ever get around to getting his 66' mustang running, I love those little carters! I just rebuilt the one on the F100 and it runs like a new truck.

Sam

Yup, that's why it was branded 250/300 like Frankenstangs cleaner.

Same YFA 300 carb was used on the 250, and the 200 in some cases.

Ford parts intechanges, pretty strange. They must have made too many for the Mavericks or Granadas, and couldn't get rid of 'em. :mrgreen:

xctasy":2n0yk41z said:
What air filter part number are you using?

Fortunately there was a gently used one inside when I received the breather, but my guess will be one for a '75 Maverick 250 :unsure::

After a few tanks indications are she's a bit rich throughout the range so I need to do some additional tuning.

Still driving and tuning. I need to narrow down the possible jet size, which I'd rather do without having to open it up first...but may have no choice as the range of jets available from Mike's Carburetor Parts is wide and long...probably need to reduce the accel pump shot as well

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Carter- ... _p_78.html

We quick fabbed a very home spun heat shroud collector from some 2in steel pipe and bolted it to the exhaust manifold, then routed the vacuum as planned. The snorkel diverter works, but needs some cleaning and lubricating, and it does seem to assist warm-up in colder weather.

Good enough for testing, but botched the layout a bit so it doesn't fit as tight to the stocker manifold as I planned, and I think the gauge is too thick for massaging any tighter or to be as efficient as it could be in heat sinking/collecting. So we'll probably fab a replacement from exhaust pipe scrap.

Still looking to add an accelerator dashpot (dampener).

Thanks!

Sadly, just like an SU or Stromberg~Zenith CD 150 or 175, the Jet and needle have to be compatible. There is an allowance, but basically jet and needle sizes cannot be made in isolation

The Slant Six forum guys have a post below with a huge jpg of every recent jet and needle combo. Well done, guys. but it big.

A 75-xxxx number goes with a 75 jet, and so-on....Things to go with things....

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... -questions

xctasy":1ri3qkxs said:
Thanks webestang, I really appreciate that link, and have used it before a good deal.

This is a 2.3 81 post, and I don't want to ruin the flow of great 2-bbl Holley Weber and MCU control info.

Although the Ranger trucks last carb Lima engine got the Motorcraft Asin

I loved how not a 6 yet/19bonestock88 coped with his 1988 Ranger Pickups air flow limitations.

Regards Carter YFA info for 1983-1988 Feedback Ford Lima engines in 2.0 and 2.3 form in Foxes and Ranger pickups...

Mikes Carbs links are perfect for non feedback carb rebuilds. but pretty sad for specific model to model changes, including needles and hangers and venturi and throttle sizes. Part numbers are an entirely safe way of doing business, but don't help set up any Carter carb, and there is a total gap for the 1981 to 1988 feedback carbs.

Thanks tho'!

Whats missing is what Holley supplied in there performance literature, or what Solex or Weber supplied in the info about accelerator pumps in cc's per 10 strokes, or basic cc/min flow from the needle and fuel jet tune info...you never get that with any early Carter stuff. Today, an Edelbrock 1405 or 1406 is a Competition AFB Carter , and it is the easiest carb to tune, it eclipses the old Holley stuff because they have done step wise needle, spring, and fuel air ratio calibration.

There is a lot of Carter YF/YFA info, but its not been consolidated, so if there's a 87 hp Carter YFA metering rod and jet for an 85 Mustang, no-one in the world will have the specs. If you pulled the carb metering rod, it'll probably just have a E5 Ford part number.

If it has a 75-xxxx number, you can bet it won't be one of the 80 on this list from the Slant Six forum.

http://www.troberg-larsen.priv.no/mopar ... g_rods.jpghttp://www.troberg-larsen.priv.no/mopar/th_carter_bbd_metering_rods.jpg

See [url]http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43724[/url]

So the most simple and plentiful 1-bbl carb ever made is the hardest to get info on.

If it was listed like the Carter BB series, ([url]http://www.allpar.com/fix/fuel/carter-BB.html[/url]) it'd be a cinch to tune..[/quote]

Thanks xctasy for lots of good and useful info...as usual (y)

Just so I'm following correctly and to recap...

I'm looking to swap the main jet size, and if I'm following correctly, big 'IF'...you're saying the jet size may or is dependent on the metering rod assembly, but I'm under the impression the metering rod assembly on my non feedback type YFA/YF is mainly for the acceleration circuit...and this carb would still have a main jet like these offered from Mike's carbs...
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Carter- ... _p_78.html

I'm looking for any input on what size might work well assuming a 185-215cfm range (realize that's bit broad) on a 200cid motor?

I'm guessing this 'new' generic Chinese reproduction is going to be set more for a 250-300 displacement engine given their application on trucks and tractors...but it's purely a guess.

What I'd like to do is order 2-3 jets that would be appropriate or approximate for my application vs what I might find comes in these from the Chinese factory, but the list of available jets on Mike's is so long, I'm worried about making a blind stab at it. I've emailed Mike's for any info/recommendation they might have given my setup, so I'll post back what I can find out there or from additional research.
Thanks again!

Frankenstang":3v84lnis said:
I've emailed Mike's for any info/recommendation they might have given my setup, so I'll post back what I can find out there or from additional research.
Thanks again!
If you mean Mike from classic inlines, sadly you'll be waiting for a long time for a response.
He passed away a couple of weeks ago. :(

Frankenstang":13x95w0v said:
Sincerest condolences, thoughts and prayers to the Winterboers for their loss. I am shocked and saddened by this news. Mike's passing leaves a huge hole in our community. Peace be with you and your family Mike

Mike from Mikes carbs.... :banghead:

CZLN6":13x95w0v said:
..... Carter YF. It will require some adaptation of mounting, linkage, fuel line and air cleaner. It came on 170, 200 and 250 engines so make sure you get at least a 200 size carb. It was also used on the big sixes- 240 and 300s......

Adios, David

Now, the needel profile you use are thicker than the stock ones you have. That means you either get some one to

1.knock out another carb like yours,
2.measure yours, or
3. take a punt on a factory replacement needle and YFA jet from the 1969-1972 170 and 69-77 200 cars that ran a YFA for periods, or the 250's that ran the YFA. I can't remember which years exactly, but the 240 was always about 5 hp net down on the 250, the 300 was about 20% up on the 250 net flyweel figure.

The 1970 Maverick 200 made about 85 flywheel hp from a 115 hp net rating, so that's a good start. The 300 was calibrated for about 105 flywheel net hp.

The factory jets and needle from the 200 are your best options. That will preserve the air fuel ratio.

xctasy":2cgfknp9 said:
3. take a punt on a factory replacement needle and YFA jet from the 1969-1972 170 and 69-77 200 cars that ran a YFA for periods, or the 250's that ran the YFA. I can't remember which years exactly, but the 240 was always about 5 hp net down on the 250, the 300 was about 20% up on the 250 net flyweel figure.

The 1970 Maverick 200 made about 85 flywheel hp from a 115 hp net rating, so that's a good start. The 300 was calibrated for about 105 flywheel net hp.

The factory jets and needle from the 200 are your best options. That will preserve the air fuel ratio.

This may be my best bet if I determine the A/F is out of whack. Thanks again xctasy! Finally getting my head around the relationship of the jet and needle/metering rod...an animated gif from a jeep page helped...
http://jeeptalk.net/index.php?showtopic=14950

Is it safe or a leap to assume the jet sizes offered by Mike's Carbs correspond to the largest step on the metering rod...as posted on the slantsix site?
http://www.troberg-larsen.priv.no/mopar ... g_rods.jpg

Eg 75-2176 lists .075 x .048 x .045 would this use a 075 jet?

According to Mike's Carbs sourcing the needles/metering rods is the toughy.

All this has made me wonder if my rich running of late is all due to the stock jet&needle/rod configuration on this Chinese repop carb, or could it be improved through adjustment :unsure:: ...the first seven tanks aren't great
The 19's are roughly 75% hwy tanks, and the others are predominantly round town, where I'm admittedly not light on the pedal ;)

Obviously lots more for me to learn about these carter yf's

Oh, I was wrong, there are those 26 Mikes Carbs Main Metering Jet sizes, plus others. The metering rods won't work with every one, but most 75 series rods will. There are some exceptions.

The best universal main jet kit reference is the 600 series Edelbrock 4-bbl main jets. They are marked with a three-digit part number that indicates the diameter of the metering orifice. Jet sizes starting with a 3 are smaller than 0.100 inch; jets beginning with a 4 are larger than 0.100 inch, so this 389 jet has an 0.089-inch orifice.:-

Main jets:
Size: Carter: Edelbrock:
.083 120-383 1422
.086 120-386 1423
.089 120-389 1424
.092 120-392 1425
.098 120-398 1427
.101 120-401 1429
.104 120-404 1430
.107 120-407 1431
.110 120-410 1432

.113 120-413 1433
.116 120-416 1434

I've underlines the 98 to 110 thou main jets, as one of these will likely be what you have now.

Mikes Carbs uses the common earlier Older Carter reference of

120-160 = .091",
120-166 = .0935",
120-155 = .096",
120-170 =.102,
120-161 =.104 etc

Reducing the annular radius exposed at a given vaccum point makes the carb leaner, so you will most likely be best measuring what you have, and then finding a valid other needle that is known to be leaner. Its easier to start lean, and then have it mechined back via a needle file if you can't get the right metering rod.

If that's not an option for you, then you will need to find the replacement Ford small six metering rod and main jet. Or just a metering rod at the very least. One company, Black Hawk Engineering , does YH Turbo F85 JetFire and Corvair Monza YH reprofiles, the web info they have will help you arrive at the right air fuel ratio for the price of baselined air fuel ratio measurement. with you current set up.

I'm picking that you'll be able to find any Carter YFA metering rod to suit, and you'll then be able to use there annualr area charts to adjust the air fuel ratio.

Black Hawk Engineering do a reprofilr service for sub 94 thou jets

"Choose dimensions for a new rod

If you have measured air/fuel ratio numbers for cruise and power, you can adjust the flow areas proportionately. For example, if you have a power A/F ratio of 11 to 1 and you would like to have a ratio of 12 to 1, the ratio is 11 divided by 12 or .92. If your current power flow area is 300, multiply .92 times 300 equals 276. Look in the General tables for the jet size you are using and find the flow area closest to 276. Then read the corresponding metering rod diameter. Do the same type of calculations for the cruise step.

Our current manufacturing process is limited to diameters of .054 to .094". If the metering rod you want falls outside of this range, you will have to choose another jet size to find a combination that works. The available jet sizes are .077, .080, .083, .086, .089, .092, .095, .098, .101, .104, .107, .110, .113, .116 and .119"

That then means tracking down a common junked Jeep 258, 2.5 liter I4, Ford 0HC 2.3, 170/200/250/240/300 jet. You'll get lucky enough form this...I'll help out, its just math. You'll just have to warm up your car up for 10 minutes, and get C02 readings or air fuel readings from a test station at Cruise and Power; as well, an IM test at load would be a good first start.

Then its just find and measure a jet that will lean the mixture off enough, and recheck it.

http://www.blackhawkengr.com/

http://www.blackhawkengr.com/Black%20Ha ... ustom.html

The way to work out the difference is from a known base on one of these charts with the same main metering jet.

http://www.blackhawkengr.com/General%20 ... Tables.pdf

You wont need the first 17 main jet sizes from Mikes Carbs, they are just 54 to 96 thou. Somewhere between 98 to 120 will be the possible, with 98 to 110 being the best options I'd say. One of which you may have right now.

Carter YF carbs begin to appear in 1967 on California emissions equipped engines.
By 1970 it was standard on 170's and 200's. They were rated at 150 CFM on 170 c.i. engines and 187 CFM on 200's. The YF carb was also used on the 250 engine from 1975 -79. The 250 version of the YF was rated at 195 CFM. It remained the "small six" carb until 1977 on the 200 and 1980 on the 250, and the permanant 240/300 carb from 1969 till the death of the 1-bbl F150 in 1987.

Some ballpark details from Big Sixes.

1979 Manual F150 Replacement from Ford for that year was nothing for Ford Dealer Main jet (no size diameter given) but it was part C8AZ-9533-A, and that pegs it as a C8 jet of 104 to 110, with 106 most likely.

Idle adjusting needle (assumed to be metering rod) D7PZ-9541-A (no sizes given)

For one 1979 Manual F150 4.9 Bix Six:-
Main jet is 0.1056 inches;
numbers on top face of brass main jet appear to be 120-410;
Brass metering rod number is numbered #75-2346 (which I can't find on the list)
Diameter of metering rod is 0.040 inches at tip going into main jet;
0.054 inches at second taper on metering rod,
0.815 inches on main shaft near top of rod (all measurements with digital caliper)

Other 1979 YFA carbs have been
Main Jet 0.107dia inside
numbers on top face of brass main jet appear to be 120-407;
Brass metering rod number is numbered #75-217sic (which could only be a #75-2175 or 75-2176)
No accurate dimensions exist for a so called 217

The 75-2189 was a valid metering rod on that table well.

On a Jeep, a 120-166 main jet @ .0935" would use a 75-1570 metering rod for 65 net flywheel hp.

Form LZJW 98 to 110 are valid main jet sizes.

D2 prefix are all for 1972 engines;
the only D2 carb showing for a 72 300 has a main jet of .110",
all the rest (four) are for 240's,
three of which call for a .104" jet
and the fourth one is .101".

Stock, the C8 prefix show a main jet of .104".(69 240 [.104"] with a carb tag # C8UF-M)
Smallest Big Six YFA jet listed is .098" (one model only) and the biggest is .110

Try sourcing a replacement metering rod and 98 main jet from Mikes Carbs for carb tag 1969 240 F100 carb tag # C8UF-M:-

The common ones for a way too small 134 cubic inch I4 65 hp net Jeep are:-
Carter Main Jets
Main Metering Jet
120-155 = .096"
120-160 = .091"
120-166 = .0935"

But I'm pretty sure you won't need to change what is there at all...

These two posts help best.

motzingg":1fmc9dft said:
yep, its pretty simple. they are basic little carbs.

navigate to the link if the image doesn't display correctly:
http://oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/ ... 19_jpg.jpg

i'm pretty sure its just a 'low speed jet' and a 'metering rod jet' but the 'metering rod' is also a tuning component, you might have a mis-matched metering rod (us motorcycle guys call them a 'needle') and jet.

here is the metering rod assembly.

If you buy a rebuild kit, they usually have that pic i attached printed out for you on a big sheet of paper, still might want to take photos of the stages of carb disassembly while you are doing it, however. Here is a picture i took from when i did mine.

DSC01721.JPG

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":1fmc9dft said:
Before changing jets I would try the metering rod adjustment. It has always fixed any YF mixture issues I've seen. The screw in the background raises and lowers the tapered rod in the jet. Raising it will fatten up the part throttle mixture without fattening up the WOT mixture, which I suspect is not too lean anyway. Plug readings at WOT mnust be taken after running the engine at WOT and not letting it come back down to idle while running or the WOT reading will be affected.

Modern plugs will tolerate a leaner mixture and may look white, even though the mixture is correct. This is especially noticeable on fuel injected engines.

My buddy John would always send his driver (aka his wife) down the track with a ratchet plug wrench and a spare plug. She would kill the engine at WOT, coast to a stop, change the plug in question, and bring the unsullied plug back to the pits for inspection. He was an absolute wizard at tuning Weber IR systems.

xctasy":d4xz4fb0 said:
I rebuilt the cylinder head back in 2011, and quickly copied off some internet pictures from some Fairmont 3.3.

Then suddenly discovered the Holley 1946 and Ford F150 Truck, Ranger SUV or Fox body sedan Carter YFA's were often swaped about onto cars that were born with a Holley 1946.

It's very confusing, since T, B abd X code 3.3's in the Fox years only came with Holley 1946 1-bbl carbs. Just found the pictures again today in my basement while I was researching the YFA.

They were run off on my Canon iP100 printer 3-1/2 yrs ago. It was on ebay finds, so the pictures have been autopruned, and probably don't exist on the net any more, so these pictures of the photoprints are very grainy, but here they are on that high mount 1982 Fox Fairmont, a YFA carb!

The Carter YFA was also a 250 Granada carb, and fits on top of a 3.3 like they were made to. Which is kind of right, they were. This car has an L code 76-79 or 1980 C code 4.1 Granada/Monarch air cleaner, and I'm giuessing the YFA carb came from an F150 4.9 or the last of those X-shell Granny or Monarch's. Or perhaps a Jeep 2.5 or 258.

Its has an anodized blue tag which is covered by piece of flat plate cranked at an angle

That's jugs been everywhere man.

The air cleaner lookes like yours Frankenstang!

Original photos found. This is how to YFA Carter an originally Holley 1946 3.3 Fox engine

Back