ford tempo tbi with carburetor secondaries tri power?

:unsure: Looks like they would fit even 3 of them if turned sideways.

There are quite a few guys over on Inliners that have used multi-TBI units on tripowers very successfully. So you shouldn't have any problems either.

I started with a bigger post, but then realised that the US and Aussie EECIV/TFI/ CFi isn't really like anything else. It has aspects of Geo, mOPAR k Car and Nissan 3.0 v6 TBi in it. We used the CFI 2-BBL system in our 1988 to 1992 3.2 and 3.9 OHC sixes with EECIV and TFI, it works fine and is reliable if you follow Fords fault code logic. And it was able to make 162 hp with just two injectors like yours, and being non ODBII EECIV, its pinouts allowed it to fit any car. I think the post Mike and Hot Rod did on the Maverick would have been great if they had added a 350 dollar Offy intake.

http://www.classicinlines.com/74Maverick.asp

I'm subscibing, and takin a personal cup of STFU.

A tripower to me is the worst porting system I've seen, but it works, gives power, and part throttle economy. And it lookes great! Electronically managed by something that can power three of those kind of Geo Metro/Nissan Pathfinder/Chrysler K car injectors, and running open and closed loops from an o2 sensor, it would be killer. Running the injectors means you can't use the stock EECIV/TFI/CFi, its got limiatations, but I learned from Ak Miller and Impco that you can over rule a stock EECII/EECIII/MCU/EECIV system with a system of relays, and a computer that allowed the stock PWM computer to run, and collect fualt codes normally.The 1985 Impco manual tells you how to do it on 2.3 OHC's, F150 4.9's. The HSC and HSO is excluded, but you can use the same system.

Those guys used the stock low volage, low amp Ford computer with a few relays and a means of driving the injectors to open and close loop the system.

In your case, a Megasquirt would propably be able to drive it. You can run three oxygen sensors 12 inches down the extractor pipes on 2, 4 and 6, running off the headers, givening feedback to the the EECIV, you just have to condition the overall ratio.

So you just need to have a go. If Hot Rodders like AK Miller could make the 1981 to 1985 fuel delivery system work with dual fuel propane systems wthout triggering fault codes, then you can too. The pre check engine light systems were a lot of fun.

Those look promising. Maybe 2 of those split on 2nd and 5th cylinders full time. What is the capacity of a single tempo tbi?

Peak air flow at 3"Hg pressure drop and 282 feet per second air flow is about 372 cfm. Its fuel supply is only 85 to 90 hp, although it can go up with a selection of other injectors around. As a bare casting, it was a replacement for the 195 to 202 cfm of the stock 1949 Holley, which was flowed for 85-95 hp, but could be taken out to 120 hp farily easily.

The air intake hat will unbolt and can be turned at 90 degree increments to face whichever way suits. As Deano implied, the limiting factor is the injector. It will only flow enough fuel to support about 100hp if you turn up the pressure a bit. There is an allen key on the regulator that you can tune, but only to a point. The allen head is under the little cap on top of the regulator. Pry that off for access.

The idle solenoid is cumbersome. It cannot control idle speed; it simply engages to raise the speed on cold start of added load (A/C or Power sterring inputs, for example).

I have not seen it done, but probably the best bet would be a pair of them controlled by a Megasquirt. Visually it would be interesting, but from a practical standpoint it would be easier to just use a 4.3 or 5.0 GM 2bbl TBI on a direct mount to get better performance results in a cleaner package.

The center TBi would work fine as long as it was hooked up to the stock systems. The O2 sensor has to deal only with what it can and is controling. You could go to a EDIS 6, and use the stock four cylinder TFI distributor to run the electronics.

The outer carbs would come in as per normal Offy practice.

I don't see any problems with working this.

I've been experimenting with modulated displacement. I plan to use the two outer carb throttles to run off the primary carb on mine. I just cut the fuel with a throttle deactivalr solinoid. Since the outer cylinders are divided off so they are port on port, the car then runs as a 133 cubic inch four cylinder on light load conditions, and then goes up to a six cylinder on higher loads. Twin downdraught 32 mm Solex PDSIT from a Type 3 are easy to get. They are sized for 92-97 cube approx 54 hp Dak Dak. Now each 21.5 mm venturi carb works with one 33-1/3 cubic inch outer cylinder 6 or 1. Your adding 42 hp with them, and the 4 cylinder is supplying 85 hp on a leaned out air fuel curve. Under wide open throttle, there are ways of pumping the fuel supply to the center by fuel pressure in your case, or in my case, a fuel solenoid equiped YFA Carter. You can change the jetting from a 72 hp 2.0 plodder to a 120 hp 4.9 truck electroncially with the MCU or EECIV.

Bascially, in your case, as long as the center injector still has vacuum and tps readings, no faults triggered on the EECIV, then why the heck not.

Back