Aluminum head spring question?

The Clifford double valve springs worked perfectly and are now installed in my head. I looked all over there website and it appears that the don't make them any more. Glad I had some NOS ones in my shop! We also used their hardened valve locks and retainer.

IIRC they are 130 on the seat and 260 at lift.

I'd have to say since mine is one of the pre-production heads and was made in Australia that it wasn't machined the same as the later US made heads. Thanks guys for all your help trying to find springs for it!!

Later,

Doug

Is that a typo 130 on the seat , is on the High side needed for any solid flat tappet cam and more than I would run on a Hyd , also 260 Open is on The low side for either , also if your going to break in a new Cam 130 is TOO much initially

FSD, I don't think that is a typo.
Clifford years ago used pioneer springs. I used to have the part #'s on the outer & the # for the inner.
This combo normally is 110-115 on the seat @ the spring height on the ford head.
Since Doug has one of Mike's first heads the installed height is probably less than it should be.
I believe Doug is using the same camshaft as before so there is no break-in needed.
After the springs are used they should settle down to 115-120 area.
I have used many springs of that tension on initial break-in, but you better have everything lubricated to perfection or you will face a wiped lobe.
Using seat tension of 135# & open 330# I always use solid lifters with the small laser cut oil orifice in the center of the contact surface of the lifter & have the camshaft nitride hardened.
The safest way is to remove the inner spring & then reinstall after break-in.

Nope, no typo! This is the cam I bought from Bill 3 years ago when I put my new (current) engine together. My engine builder is happy with it and so am I! There is no break in...I freshened up the head NOT the engine.

I have 2 carbs I'm going to try on it a aluminum 600 cfm Holley and a 465 cfm Holley. Both are new with quick change secondary springs, rear jet conversion blocks, jet extensions in the rear and both have no chokes and milled choke horns. Going to see once and for all which is better on a aluminum head.

Track times don't lie!

Later,

Doug

Well I stand by my statement Although I dabbled in the Falcons 6's Ive worked on LOTS of Race engines and Was in charge of Head assembly at a well Known Super stock Stock Ford Builder , Those Valve specs are NOT what I would run , and yes track times don't lie , My Tri Power Log head went low 14's at 91 on the Breaks on a 95 degree 80% humidity Day , you do what you want your money , my advise is free

Yep, the springs have pads they set on, no worries there!

Faron,

Not getting in a pissing match but my machinist is well known in the Indiana and Michigan area for high performance stuff and I trust him and his opinion.

As you well know I have done a lot more then just "dabble" with inline 6's for the past 16 years and I have the fastest n/a small six on the forum and have proof (time slips and video) that says I have went well into the 13's with MY COMBO. And I stand by it. I was the 1st on the forum to run a "small 6" in the 15's, 14's and the 13's in the qtr mile and I can back everything up with pictures movies and time slips.

I guess everyone has there opinion.

I know you have done more than dabble , yes you have the fastest ( with an aluminum head ) I stand by my concern with the spring specs I have BOTH the Drag Racing experience , AND Engine Work , I am NOT saying Change anything ( although I would ) It was a caution , you do what you feel is ok , I wish you the Best , Not a pissing contest

Back