Fenton Exhaust Manifold for 223: pics??

58custom223

I've done site and web searches but keep coming up with the same pics for the Fenton ... front, or some angle from there.

Does anyone have, or can I be directed to, pics of bottom, top, and back? Just curious how the manifold was built.

Thanks!
=====

Hi Tom, here are the few Fenton Exhaust header and Intake Pictures that I have on my computer, also be sure to check the First link it's to some pictures of forum member "rmt" it's a mint Fenton 223 header set and some other rare Fenton 223 Ford parts. After the link are what I have, first 3 pictures are of a Fenton Ford 223 Exhaust Header bolted up to an Offy 2X1V intake same as in picture 4. New sets of Fenton's are being made for Ford Flathead V8 and the early Chevy sixes, but the original sets for a Ford 215 / 223 / 262 are quite rare nowdays. There was talk of somebody on the HAMB site making new sets for the Ford 223 some years back, dont know if it ever happened or not. The next 4 pictures are of the Fenton 2 X 1V intake bolted to a stock Ford 223 exhaust manifold by this we know that there is great interchangeability between stock as well as the different after market hot rod parts that were made back in the day. Or in other words if you have a Fenton, Offy, or stock Ford 223 intake it will bolt to the Fenton or stock Ford Exhaust Manifold and seal with a stock set of gasket’s. Hope this is of some help in your quest, Good Luck. :nod:

This first Link is to some pictures of the Mint set of Fenton 223 exhaust headers as well as other rare Fenton parts for the 223, look for post by "rmt" 6th down from the top! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=50519

Fenton Ford 223 Exhaust Header bolted to an Offy Intake 1

Fenton Ford 223 Exhaust Header bolted to an Offy Intake 2

Fenton Ford 223 Exhaust Header bolted to an Offy Intake3

Offenhauser Ford 223 2 X 1V Intake

Fenton Ford 223 2 X 1V Intake bolted to a Stock Ford Exhaust Manifold 1

Fenton Ford 223 2 X 1V Intake bolted to a Stock Ford Exhaust Manifold 2

Fenton Ford 223 2 X 1V Intake bolted to a Stock Ford Exhaust Manifold 3

Installed on a Ford 223 is the Fenton Ford 223 2 X 1V Intake bolted to a Stock Ford Exhaust Manifold 4

These last 2 pictures are of the Clifford Performance RamFlow Ford 223 Intake 2V or 4V depending on the bolt on carb adapter and set of their Truck Headers if you cant find a set of Fentons then these should still be avilable new or used too. Check at this link for new ones (http://www.cliffordperformance.net/Merc ... _Code=F300)

Clifford Ford 223 2V or 4V RamFlow Intake

Clifford Ford 223 2V or 4V RamFlow Intake and set of Truck Headers

One last note if you can weld cast iron or know somebody that can, you could do like they did back in the day and make your own splt manifold out of your stock Ford unit by welding on another outlet. Good Luck in the hunt, :nod:

Those additional pics shared will be VERY helpful!! :thanks:

Clifford Research has been on my RADAR almost from the beginning, but I've been kinda "stuck" on a more traditional look.

I have it in my head to build a split manifold such as the Fenton, but out of tubing as I have NO experience or ability with casting anything. Part of that thought was to include the heat riser as well. Might take the form of a stove as the tubing will not conduct the heat of a cast iron to the cast Offenhauser intake manifold I have.

Of course, If I successfully build one exhaust manifold there will be a jig to build others so who knows where this will go when this gets launched.

Again, thanks for the pics!!
=====

Hi Tom, glad to try and help, here is another few links showing how the stock manifolds were split by adding another outlet or two and the baffle plate. The Fords were a little harder to split it between port no. 3 and 4 then cap off the original outlet and install new outlet for the front 3 ports and the same at the rear, or for inspiration look at its big bother the late EFI 300 (4.9) with its factory split exhaust manifolds. Ignore that these links are for a Cxxxy the basic process will still be the same. This was how it was done on a very low budget or with the different kits to get a duel exhaust on any straight six during the late 1940's and 1950's. My uncle had a 1952 Ford F1 farm truck with the 215 six (first truck I got to drive) it had a split exhaust and I think the Offy 2 x 1V intake (Direct linkage setup) with the two glass bowl Holley's, taking off down in low RPM's it really pulled trailers good (torque was much better then a Flathead V8). Many old timers claimed that they also got even better gas mileage then a stocker too. Building your own set out of tubing headers is a good idea too if you do a shorty Tri Y type its not too hard. Linking the right cylinders acording to firing order (153624) will also help with scavenging or just spilling cylinders 123 & 456 works well. Good luck of the 223 project. :nod:

Splitting a stock six exhaust manifold.
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showt ... id/233185/

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ijSj8GyxU

Lots of details and mostly for Cxxxy but if you dig through it there is the process and some info on the Ford 215/223 sixes.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre ... hy.440989/

This is another vintage way the stock exhaust manifolds were split and yet still kept intake manifold heat. The exhaust manifold was cut off, cap made and welded on, then front was modded for second outlet or a new front section was made. http://www.dutra.org/doug/doug-sl6-exha ... -duals.htm

Inline Cxxxy six Tube headers Tri Y style, a 223 Ford version would be better yet with its 6 ports!
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sa ... 83903.html

Bubba, more good information!!

I'm trying to design the tube header so that there is still a lot of flow to the heat riser but still have the primaries as equal in length as possible. Will let you know how successful I am.

Thanks!!
=====

58custom223":wr4sc29n said:
I'm trying to design the tube header so that there is still a lot of flow to the heat riser but still have the primaries as equal in length as possible. Will let you know how successful I am.

Thanks!!
=====

Hi Tom, I wouldn't worry too much about the flow to the heat riser, good idea on designing the primaries as equal length as possible and fitting the chassis. As for the heat riser there are at least two ways to do the job build a good plate of 5/16 to 3/8's inch steel then use some 1/8 inch (or thicker) sheet medal plate to cut and fitted to touch the #3 and #4 exhaust tubes and box it in on the sides and bottom, this would give you radiant heat to the intake. Or if you want more drill a hole in #3 & #4 tubes of 1/2 to 1 inch for exhaust flow to the bottom of intake. You could also use 3/4 or 1 inch tubing in place of the sheet metal plates. Good luck :nod:

Chuck in NH,

Those look so good. I just acquired a set of headers that are in less than stellar conditions BUT the mating surface to the block and the collector connections are good. I'm going to try and convince my local muffler shop guy to do some bending to determine whether or not a faux Fenton can be built out of tube, not cast. Part of the plan is also to have the 2 exhausts flow through the heat riser as well. We'll see.

Thank for the pics!!
=====

WOOHOO, I saw a Fenton split manifold on eBay and had to have it ... so now it's mine.

Between now and when my 223 gets rebuilt, I'll try to set up a jig to see if duplicating in tube is feasible.
=====

Back