Running Rough where to check next?

Mr Comet

I took my comet for it's first long road trip since my rebuild this weekend. Round trip was over 500 mi. On the return it started to run and idle rough about 35 miles from home. Temp, oil pressure and amp seemed to remain the same as before rough running. This morning I could not find any thing which appeared out of order so I am looking for suggestions which test to try to ascertain the cause. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Denny

Denny, one of the first things is to check is the fuel filter isn't plugged up. On many older cars the old fuel tank and it's original steel fuel line can have crude and or rust inside it, that then loosens up with use. Good luck :nod:

65coupei6

Followed your advice and the plugs are fouled especially 6 has no noticeable gap.

ludwig

Hoses all appear good two are new this last summer the other one has no cracks.

jackfish

after the plugs get replaced I will check both the vacuum and the timing again with the new plugs. I have the DSII

Bubba

Thanks I sent you a e mail about the plug gap.

Thanks to all. This is surprising because I averaged 26-27 mpg on the highway this trip.

Howdy Denny:

What you've done looks like a good start in solving the rough running. What carb are you using? I'm still suspicious of a vacuum leak somewhere.

Your mileage sounds great!

Adios, David

David

I am using a Carter RBS carb. I have replaced the plugs gapping them to .045 because I have a DSII Ignition with a Pertronix flamethrower coil. The engine is now idling nicely at 750rpm when warm. I have still to check the vacuum and timing.

Thanks Denny

Back