66sprint6's Boosted Inline still alive and doin well!

I will soon be following what you are doing, building a 250 6 turboed on E 85 drag race only. You're doing great work. Randy

Its TE44 turbo thats an upgrade for the Buick GN. I was running 15psi low boost and 20psi when I wanted to have fun. Im gonna see how the new setup does but if all goes well Ide like to try 15-20psi low and see if I can push 25+ for my high setting. Ill run as much as I possibly/safely can!

Matt

Garage is still in dissaray thanks to me getting sick as a dog and family coming into town etc BUT I took a break from taking a break last night to work on the car while the wife was away and she couldnt yell at me for not taking a break. The stock downpipe elbow is off the turbo and not going back on, got a new adventure coming that will make the downpipe alot more efficient and will allow me to route it any which way I please. With this in mind I decided to move the turbo a little to allow for as straight a path as possible. I could probably change up the bottom of the header and mount the turbo straight and low but I would have issues with the shocktower and oil return line etc so I stuck with the plan and just shortened up the up pipe and clocked the turbo a bit.

Took nearly 3" out of the up pipe and turned it slightly. Now the turbo has tons of clearance on all sides, sits lower and the downpipe will be happier. Itll still have to turn a little more than 45* initially out of the flange but then its a fairly straight shot under the intake. Im hoping this will work out alot better than the stock elbow and another 90* below it to get it where it needs to go. More info on the new downpipe setup in a couple days when the flange shows up!

Matt

Right after posting up about the latest tweaks the UPS guy dropped this sucker off.

RJC's 3" downpipe flange with larger wastegate puck. Gonna be a bit of work to get it all sorted but I cant wait to get to it. Should free things up nicely behind the turbo and allow me to rid some of the small bottlenecks in the setup.

Matt

Heres the flange and flapper all together and ready to go.

The wastegate hole was already opened up a bit and the passage massaged by the previous owner of the turbo so the bigger puck compliments it nicely. I added a couple extra tacks where I could on the wastegate arm sleeve to make sure it wouldnt come loose down the road. I also adjusted the wastegate actuator's arm and welded it up. Should all be solid.

Now I will bolt it up and get started on the downpipe!

Matt

Got some work done last night on the downpipe.  Getting the angle of the downpipe out of the turbo, under the intake and passed the headers was actually quite easy thanks to planning ahead when working on the header.  Getting the wastegate section to tie in with the rest of the downpipe was a pain, but we already knew it would be!  I actually nailed it on my first go at it BUT the angle was too shallow and the wastegate puck wouldnt open far enough for me to be happy.  I then ended up cutting 3 more pieces until I finally went back to #2 and made it fit.

Main pipe with the section for the puck cut out and hammered flat.

Puck section ready to go in.  It was a little short but it fit perfect otherwise and I was out of bends so I decided to go with it.

ALOT of cutting, grinding and hammering went into this so I was a little pensive when I got the welder out.  After a couple test passes to try my best to get the settings in a decent place I said heck with it and went to town.

Welds arent the prettiest in the world, but they came from ME...and the pieces are still stuck together, so I think they look awesome
Ive got to cut the main section down to match, so a tiny bit of smoothing inside and then hopefully itll all still line up nicely and I can get it stuck to the flange.

Matt

Got some welding done today.  Little cleanup to allow the bolts to clear and it was set.

Looks awesome...so close!  Gonna try to get the header to a buddy to TIG up for me and in the mean time I'll keep the downpipe going till it connects with the rest of the exhaust.

Matt

Header is back from my buddy's house, all welded up and ready for action!!!

Little bit of work on the flange and they will be ready to mount up. Im gonna leave then as they are until the motor fires, is broken in and the carb is tweaked a little then I will tear it all back down and send it out the be coated.

While I was out, these nasty SOB's followed me home.

The BMW E30 seats are great but I used to have an 84 SVO and I loved the seats in it. With a little work these should be perfect! They have the inertia latch to the backs which I never really liked so I might see if the hinges on the 90 LX seats I have will swap over but if not, no biggie. Driver's side bolster might need some foam work as well but worst case I can get a new one from TMI. Another project for another day!

Matt

Thanks! Unfortunately a BIG project has taken priority so my time with the car has come to halt but I will resume as soon as I get all these danged Christmas presents together and ready to go out to the family. May have bit off more than I can chew but hey, Ill go down swinging at least!

Matt

Yeah sorry!!! Missed the annual Gatlinburg cruise so I took some time off in an attempt to not rush the build and also to not get burned out. Im back on it now and rolling slowly along. I put together a simple brace to help the header live as long a life as possible and am now working on the exhaust between the turbo and Y pipe back to the mufflers. Im moving the electric cutout closer to the turbo and gaining some clearance under the car doing so. Waiting on some pipe to come in so I can get back to work.

I will try to keep updating as progress is made!

Matt

Ive been fighting this section of exhaust from the downpipe to the Y pipe to complete the exhaust for some time now.  Finally this weekend I made decent enough progress to be happy.  Really happy about the way the dump worked out and is placed but I still got some minor tweaks to the rest before I can call it done.  

Added a section of pipe to the end of the existing downpipe with a V band at the end of it so I can remove the downpipe  if needed down the road or possibly make getting the turbo out easier.

Then got to work on getting the dump where I wanted it.  I could have used a similar 45 style piece that came with the dump but room was limited and I wanted the flow to have an easier path to the dump so I came up with this instead.  

Turns down to the dump.

Then cut the hole for the pipe that will flow back to the mufflers.

The pipe was being a bit of a pain fitting up so I had to work some pretty bad welding to make it happy.  I may revise this slightly to try and keep cracks away down the road.

Here it is all together and tacked up to the existing pipe that goes under the transmission crossmember

Cant see it but I added an exhaust hanger to hold this section up.  Im hoping it helps keep it happy and it will hold everything up whenever the downpipe or turbo need to be removed.

Im not 100% sure this section will stay like this.  Its a couple fingers (roughly an inch give or take) from the transmission so it should be ok but I might have to change it up just a tad.  Im gonna ask around and see.  I like it alot because it keeps the ground clearance really nice but I dont want it to hit the trans or cause heat issues.

I also might add a flex joint to the downpipe before the V band to also help keep my welds in tack (hehe) but Ive read conflicting beliefs on whether they are necessary.  Ill be asking around on this one as well.

Matt

Looks good (y)

I think your biggest gain will be from the waist gate and down pipe mods. Can't wait to see the results.

I sure hope so!!! I imagine the fresh cam (old one had a couple worn lobes) and the better intake should help a tad but I figured replacing the stock 90* downpipe elbow should help out as well. Rebuilt turbo, better intercooler and pipe setup, better head and intake, better exhaust from the head back and a fresh bottom end with a better/newer cam all in hopes of having a healthier, more reliable and more powerful inline ride.

Im still tweaking the exhaust near the transmission to try and gain some clearance...mainly because there is so much room down there, why crowd it all together?

Matt

I cut out the pipe going from the dump to the rest of the exhaust because it was a little too close to the tranny for comfort.  Then...rather than just ordering up a new pipe and wasting a wonderful, much needed day in the garage waiting for it to show up...I just used all the pieces I had laying around to make it work.  Yes...I could probably get under there, cut the entire thing out and replace with a nice long straight piece but who cares, its done now, you cant see it and Im moving on 

Sprayed the welds with some high temp header clear and got it back under the car and welded up the front hanger for good.

It tucks up really nice, ground clearance is better than its ever been and so far...nothing touches anything, even after whacking it with my palm a couple good times.  Heres a pic of the dump exit as it sits.  I may leave it, I may extend it and turn it down who knows.

I re-routed the wiring for the dump and tidied it all up and made a final check for clearance and it opens up no problem.  I need another 2-3 foot section of straight 3" and a little welding and Ill be done with the exhaust.  

Matt

Back