200ci with Pertronix Ignitor spark plug gap

MalcolmA

Hi guys,

It's my first post, and I'm a complete beginner. I recently purchased a 1965 6 cylynder 200 ci 3-speed manual, and I'm starting with the basics to learn more about it. Today the plan is to change the spark plugs, and I was wondering what the gap size should be? Other than the pertronix ignitor (the one that sits in the stock distributor) it's all stock. I bought copper autolite plugs: http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/spark-plug/autolite-copper-spark-plug/105940_0_0/

Thanks in advance for any help!

The stock gap is .034 you can try .035 too both of those should work fine. You could maybe try as much as .038 to .040 though with out also using a hotter coil with the Pertronix thats about the limit. Good luck :nod:

This is the place to be, these guys have the knowledge. Do you have a Mustang?

Get the Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil. Takes 12 volts instead of 6 v and gives a nice fat spark. You can set a wider gap and get better ignition for your trouble.

Thanks guys! I forgot to mention that I also have the coil. If I'm using the guage correctly, they seem to be at .04 out of the box. Does that seem right?

I have this combo with an updated 68 Mustang dizzy. I run my plugs at 44 thousands, cylinders 1 and 6 run 1 range colder and all plugs are light tan. Hope this helps. Randy

That's what I had on mine except they were all colder and gapped at 44-45. The engine would just START. Like, right now. No grinding, no dab dab on the pedal. The fuel economy was better and I never had a lick of trouble with the Pertronix and the hot coil.

Thanks guys, I've got the flame thrower coil already. If I'm using the guage right, it looks like the plugs are gapped to .04 out of the box. Does that sound right?

I don't know offhand. You would do real well to get the Falcon Handbook from David and his brother. Since Fordsix Performance isn't shipping any orders any more, you need to buy it from dealers listed on the Schjeldal brothers website.

This is the bible for us inliners and it will tell you more than you could ever think to ask. David's handle is CZLN6. It will be the best $25 you ever spent on a car.

http://falcon6handbook.com

The plug gap the manufacture sets it at will depend on what that plug number was originally designed for. IE its application like for a later model Ford that had a Dura Spark II ignition will have a factory gap of .044. Good luck :nod:

Howdy All:

And welcome Malcolm and welcome to The FORUM. Yes, it is that good.

And Thanks Ludwig for the kind endorsement.

So Malcolm, You've gotten good advice on gapping your plugs for your situation. Now it is time for you to experiment. Ever engine is different, ever location is another variable. The Factory setting is a conservative generality that works pretty good for all possible situations. You can experiment with your plug gaps at no cost, less time and getting a little dirty. And regular plug check will help you to keep in touch with your engines health. I'd suggest that you start with the .040" gap your new plugs came with. How does that compare to the gap of the plugs you took out? What was their heat range? What is their color?

Once you've run for awhile with this gap, assessing starting, idle quality, acceleration and cruising, try gapping the plugs at .044" and compare. Or try .035" and compare. Keep in mind that initial timing and the condition of your carb and it's choke, your driving style, your climate, the gas you use are all variable that can effect your engines performance. In other words, it's time for you to take a somewhat scientific approach to your engine, beginning with the spark plug gap.

Most of all, welcome to our little group, and keep us informed on your progress. It would also be helpful to us to know more about your new (old) Mustang.

Adios, David

Thanks everyone, and thanks David. That's really good advice, I'll check the current gap then play around and see what difference it makes.

I've ordered that book, it looks great.

As far as the book goes, best $23 I have spent in a long time. I refer to it all the time, it is on my bench now as I do the porting on my 250 head, love it.

My favorite section - beside the enormous amount of general knowledge - is the list of tiered performance upgrades from free to cheap to most expensive. It is really a dream diagram that you can actually follow as time and finances allow. And it makes you a much better mechanic, too.

Back