1984 Ford 2.3L powered Bronco II

"I wish I had a unibody…."
Oh, cool!
I 4got, Ranger biased, a pick up. I wuz thinkin most of the '80s meant a sedan based rig. I remember them as aa guy at work had one. I think the motor worked out to the same as my 170 ci if doing the math on the liter conversion to ci.

Can U get / would one B interested in - a 411 rear?
Lockers, hi steer or any of the other stuff?
Sure seems like ur gettin together a excellent motor.

I don't plan on lifting it at all. I don't want the MPG to go backward.

There was a limited slip BII in the wrecking yard I was going to grab the carrier out of but I missed it.

The 3.45 ratio seems to be perfect for the tire size/HP.

If I ever break the 7.5" diff I might go to a 8.8" with 3.55's, but I'm cautious about changes that will impact fuel economy. Last tank was 21 mpg, with most of it work commute.

chad":w7x36g2e said:
Sure seems like ur gettin together a excellent motor.

It's a happy engine. Still tweaking the jetting. Soon as I get it dialed I'll post the final specs on the 32/36.

great carb, doesn't seem 2 B anything else like it 4 this range displacement. Glad U dumped the other.
Is this what I'd call a square motor? (bore/stroke)

Thanks for bringin me along as you've gone thru this!
Keep us informed.

BTW: that's not the motor that went fwd, rwd and 4wd is it?
I know that 1's a ford/mutsub. But not titled 'lima', eh?
NA, turbo, and efi too I think. Not sure on yrs/models...

chad":1bu31moa said:
Is this what I'd call a square motor? (bore/stroke)

3.780" bore by 3.126" stroke. Decidedly oversquare.

that's not the motor that went fwd, rwd and 4wd is it?

AFAIK, it never went front drive.

I know that 1's a ford/mutsub. But not titled 'lima', eh?

It is the Lima.

NA, turbo, and efi too I think. Not sure on yrs/models...

The first year I remember was 1974, in the Pinto. It was the replacement for the German 2.0L. They were stock in many other cars. Mustang/Capri, Fairmont, Merkur, Thunderbird/Cougar, Ranger, Courier, Aerostar. It was also used in boats, with Cobra outdrives.

I think the one I mean is a different 2L (2.0 - 2.9). It's been mounted transverse too.
Mighta been mazda (rather than mitsub) as well as Ford, no matter -

hot lill rig for your locale!
nice balance to the p/u,
what more could you need?
(cycles 'n boats I guess?)

Finished the light bar.

IMG_20151215_123547.jpg

Gave the hitch a stress test. I wouldn't want to use this vehicle to tow something this heavy (3k). It would be torture.

IMG_20151219_162156.jpg

Started working on some audio. Installed Pyle 4" speakers in the dash, and will install 6"x9" in the rear. The rear speakers in the BII face each other, the absolute worst situation for audio. Facing forward or even up would have been better, but in the interest of simplicity, I made some wedges from 2"x8" to angle them up slightly. Not much room in a BII for speakers.

IMG_20161227_141430.jpg
IMG_20160116_160404.jpg
IMG_20160116_180111.jpg
IMG_20161227_141532.jpg
IMG_20161227_141439.jpg

Head unit is a $40 Dual Multimedia unit with no CD changer.

2.0, 2.3, 2.5 are all "Lima"?
R VTech & Duratec Lima's?
How can I ID if my Focus (2.3) is this motor?
How can I ID the right donor for the better head?

2.0 and 2.5 (Ranger only), and 2.3 Lima were SOHC.

If you have a 2.3 in a Focus you have a Duratec.

Focus also used the Zetec, but only the 2.0L version, unless you lived in Europe...

Thank you, that's helpful.

There seem to be two 2001 Focus motors - mine has Ztec on the valve cover and parts ordered for the 2.3 are appropriate (by vin #) and I think they said a DOHC. I thought the other model listed for it was 2.1 but am uncertain as it's not mine/I don't follow it (may B a SOHC as well). I will go to "the Ranger Station" on-line as that's the only place I've found info on these guys. Oh, wait - there's 2 "Focus" sites but not as helpful technically.

As the body goes I will now (from your enthusiasm/write up) try to grab the engine for another project. Can U tell me again which head is most desirable? I think U mentioned a D shaped exhaust port (not oval or round)? Is that the only thing to look for? What yr./make/model is the donor?

The zetecs are good engines. If yours is in a Focus, it should be a 2.0L. They share the bellhousing with the cvh and the old 2.0L german four. They were all DOHC, cast iron block and aluminum head.

The Duratecs were either 2.0L or 2.3L. They also are all DOHC, but aluminum block aluminum head, with a unique bellhousing pattern.

The Limas are cast iron block and head, SOHC, and share nothing with zetecs and Duratecs.

All the exhaust ports on the Lima heads are the same, it's the intake ports that change. I feel the D port heads run the best of all (1983-1989 cars).

"...share nothing…"
OK , still workin this out - mine's not a Lima (but a milwakie or wherever it was made) then.

The Zetecs were a Ford of Europe product. Popular in the UK, and came in a multitude of displacements. They can make 200 hp with bolt-ons. The first ones I saw were in the Ford Contour (which was a Ford of Europe vehicle, aka 'world car').

The Duratecs were a joint Ford/Mazda design supposedly with a bit of Cosworth influence (http://www.cosworth.com/products/crate- ... omponents/) .

The Lima engines were cast in either Lima Ohio or Taubate, Brazil.

brazil - no wonder i c them in jeeps etc down there.
nother member here just posted pm 2 me of donors but he didn't put on yrs. of each model.

he's got 1 in a 60s 'stang!

i'd like to efi turbo 4WD bio diesel one but don't think that diesel is such a good idea (for the motor - hi compression, design, etc)
I bet - if I saw one (the Brazilian Jeep) - I could have my friend make the motor/transfer adapter for it!

I like ur story bout the 'vett that showed up (or should I say got "shown up")?

Just as an update on the Weber jetting, I'm currently running primary main 145, secondary main 150, primary air corrector 150, secondary air corrector 160, idle jet 50.

Still not happy with it. It's rich at cruise (12-13:1), leans out to 14:1 at moderate throttle right before the power valve kicks in. I can't tell if it's an emulsion tube problem (did switch to an F6, same problem), or caused by too much overlap of the high speed idle circuit and the main circuit. I can fix it with leaner jets and air correctors, but then it's dangerously lean at moderate throttle (16.5:1).

I might try drilling out the idle air bleeds, but I think EFI may be around the corner...

MechRick":qkv2986w said:
Just as an update on the Weber jetting, I'm currently running primary mai...
Still not happy with it...
I might try drilling out the idle air bleeds, but I think EFI may be around the corner...

Untill then -
U git the pinto motor, Y not the weber it came w/? (32/36) and the jets used? Too much weight increase w/the BII?
(What transmis U put in? rear gear? tire sz? - I 4got).

The Weber I have is a replacement carb off a Jeep. Carbs around here are pretty much unobtainium, especially ones off 40 year old Ford economy cars. I would love to know what emulsion tubes were used in the Holley 5200 (weber clone).

I do have a Motorcraft 2bbl bolted to another vehicle I can try, if I want.

some over on the "144 - 250 Sm Block Performance" forum on this site have been successful trading, e-baying, on-line accessing (USA carb rebuilders/sales) these carbs. One guy is very knowledgable (from down under - I think he's frm NZ) on these Webers (all models of them). He can tell Weber yrs/makes from Spain, USA, Italy, etc. Xctasy is the 'handel'. Pretty helpful 2 me/many others. A PM would B fine or post a new thread on that forum. I'm sure they would be interested in coming over to see this one if they havent yet...

Well, I attempted to bolt the 2100 on this thing, and the electric choke cap wants to occupy the same space as the valve cover. Seems I knew this, and forgot it. Classic case of CRS.

The roundy-round guys would just ditch the choke, and it would work.

I'm reaching the end of experimentation on this thing. I've got a better daily driver getting 34 mpg, and my next project is going to be a Locost 7. I'm going to use this engine, since I'm not entirely satisfied with the power to weight ratio of the BII.

Another engine will go in the Bronco II in the near future, probably a pushrod 4.0L or a 302. But I really would like to find a small diesel to swap in.

I'll play with the four a bit before taking it out. The 2100 will drop right on, choke cap and all, if I use a 2bbl adapter on the lower half of an EFI intake.

http://www.racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product ... 1232B.html

This and a mild Crane cam will go in, to see what kind of HP level I can get out of it before I borrow it for the Locost 7.

I know they masage the bottom of the A/C base w/a hammer 4 the ford6 to fit that part. Never new a 4 V/C would get in the way…

Back