Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

7-inch H4 Headlight Conversion

Moderator: Mod Squad

19Fordor61

7-inch H4 Headlight Conversion

Post #1 by 19Fordor61 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:51 pm

I did a bit of searching and did not find this topic already discussed, so I thought I'd share a really good upgrade that I recently did on my '61 that looks stock but performs way better. Some of you probably already know of a similar conversion but in short, I changed over my 7" sealed beam headlights to 7" assemblies that use the H4 halogen bulb and have a much better lens on them.

I have a '71 VW that I did this conversion on probably 3 years ago and it made a world of difference in my night time visibility. The lenses on these headlights spread the light out low and wide, so you get really great coverage without blinding other drivers (although modern cars seem to be purpose built to blind everyone on the road...) With my old lights (on both my VW and Falcon), I had a really hard time reading street signs and seeing pedestrians on corners, especially in the rain. The sealed beams seemed to produce a more round spot of light that didn't spread very well. Perhaps I could've tried adjusting my lights better but I already knew the conversion just did a much better job of spreading the light.

A big plus for the ones I link below is that they are rounded (look like stock) and you can buy any H4 bulbs you want (standard ones w/o the blue tint look stock). Plus, no modifications are needed; they bolt right in and unless you bump up the bulb wattage, you can use the stock wiring harness. Full disclosure- these are not DOT approved for "on road" use. They meet European and Canadian specs, which are more stringent requirements but if you're somewhere where the cops light to nit pick, they could in theory ticket you.

I bought them here for $35 plus shipping for a total of $50, which in my opinion was worth every penny. There are likely other vendors selling them, I've just used these guys before and always had good quality products and service.
http://www.busdepot.com/nl910ch4

And no, I'm not associated with this vendor at all, I'm just totally sold on this conversion after seeing how much better these headlights are. Since I can't upload my own photos to show, here's a guy who converted his VW bus, he's god a really good write up and photos: http://ratwell.com/technical/BoschH4.html#vs
-Jeremy
1961 Falcon Fordor Sedan
San Francisco, CA

bmbm40

Re: 7-inch H4 Headlight Conversion

Post #2 by bmbm40 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:40 pm

That is a good upgrade and it is what I plan to do along with some electrical upgrades and rewiring. What else are you planning for your Falcon?
66 Bronco-1970 250, NV3550, DSII, 4 turn ps, uncut, 1" bl, 2.5" sl, front disc, twin stick D 20, 30 x 9.50
NEXT- direct mount 1.08 on D8 head, power brakes, rear limited slip, 3G, electric fan, electric upgrades, custom curved DSII, header, 31" tires

New guy? Get the Falcon Performance Handbook and Ford six high performance parts from https://vintageinlines.com

Crosley
VIP Member

Post #3 by Crosley » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:47 pm

Interesting. My 62 Falcon headlites are OEM.. I dont drive the car much at nite any more. But when I do, the lites suck for modern traffic
Tony in AZ...

"130 mph is known as first gear at the Bonneville Salt Flats"

Badnews1

Post #4 by Badnews1 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:15 pm

I like it, I have halogen sealed beams in mine and they are a great improvement over stock But I plan on going to an aftermarket upgrade soon.......Old eyes just don't work like they used to.

19Fordor61

Post #5 by 19Fordor61 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:33 pm

Bmbm40- I was really impressed with the improvement in night time visibility after this conversion when I did it on my Volkswagen so it only made sense to upgrade the Falcon too.

On my plans: I bought a second engine with the car (a 200ci) that I'd like to rebuild with some mild upgrades but trying to stay a bit lower on the cost so nothing too wild. Reliability and longevity are my main concerns. Otherwise just fixing all the mechanics (car is pretty solid but no one has done much to it over the years) and possibly repairing the rusty floors and trunk bed. I like it pretty stock, so I try to focus on upgrades that improve driveability without heavy modification or changes to the stock appearance.

To anyone considering this upgrade, I can't endorse it enough. It's relatively cheap and really helps (in my mind). I'm only 30 and already have more trouble than I used to driving at night, esp with the way modern cars all have super blinding lights that refract like crazy on an old scratched windshield. These help and just have a way better beam spread.
-Jeremy
1961 Falcon Fordor Sedan
San Francisco, CA