PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Dkutz 1

So we just bought a 62 Falcon Sedan, it is a very original car. I was having a HUGE oil Leak and figured out that the PCV system on the car was clogged. I discovered that because this is a CA car they replaced the down draft tube with an early PCV system. There is an adapter in the block where the down draft would go, and a tube that runs from there to a PCV at the carb base. My question is, what was done to the air cleaner. The stock one I have has an added adapter for a tube to the oil cap. Was this added by Ford? Or by a later owner? Right now my car is running an after marker air cleaner and vented oil cap.

When I fix the PCV system should I just run the vented oil cap or run a tube from the cap to the air cleaner??

2016-05-08_06-25-24 by kutzweb, on Flickr

2016-05-08_06-25-12 by kutzweb, on Flickr

That looks something like a retrofit PCV system. California at one time during the 1960's and 1970's even required that PCV systems to be retro fitted on the earlier model years. First Ford installed PVC systems I remember seeing were on some of the 1961 models like the Thunderbirds and Lincolns. Good luck

well I believe its original to the car, so I will probably keep it. Besides, I can't get the adapter out of the block!! So I wouldn't be able to put a down draft in...

Hi, my 66 170 came with a PVC system. It breaths in through the oil filler cap. You can see it in my picture. Good luck

lahti35":3ginz4th said:
Mother of god, what a mess. I'd put a draft tube back in and call it good!

I will probably keep it, because I believe to original to the car. Maybe dealer added, but it think it's the way it was delivered...

If that adapter plate for the original road draft tube isn't baffled, my guess is that you could be sucking through a LOT of oil.
Not required in NoDak, but if you are required to have it, you may want to look into getting an updated valve cover with a factory provided PCV valve grommet and a factory ford carb spacer to hook it to. It may not provide much, but it would clean up a bit of the plumbing issues and make it more serviceable.

On your last question yes you should run a oil fill cap with hose to the bottom of the air cleaner. This you will then have a closed system and when it's all repaired and working properly the inside of the engine will stay much cleaner. Good luck :nod:

My '62 144 with '66 valve cover and pcv valve going to carb base. The road draft doesn't work well if you are not moving. I was tired of fumes coming out my oil filler cap.

Dkutz 1":3gxc8y2p said:
lahti35":3gxc8y2p said:
Mother of god, what a mess. I'd put a draft tube back in and call it good!

I will probably keep it, because I believe to original to the car. Maybe dealer added, but it think it's the way it was delivered...

It would be interesting to see the adaptor... Did they tap the block for it or is it just a press fit?

The original 170 in my '62 Ranchero had a PVC system almost exactly like yours. An adapter / elbow pressed into the block, rubber hose connecting a steel line up and around the valve cover alongside the steel fuel line, then another rubber connecting to the pcv valve screwed into the manifold (or carb base plate, I forget). Inlet air came through the oil filler cap, which had steel wool or something mesh as a 'filter'.

ANY sort of PCV system is better than the old road draft tubes, for a hundred reasons.

I would pull all the hoses / steel lines / pcv valve you can and clean them out, and make sure the block adapter / elbow is clear. NOTE: you're not likely to suck a lot of oil out of the engine at that point unless you've got really bad rings and have a LOT of blowby. Ford used that location on purpose to pull crankcase fumes from.

Original '62 pcv valves can be hard to get, but any later pcv valve will substitute, but you might have to relocate or rework mounting it.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure that carb is NOT original, everything I've seen indicates that all '62's came with Holley 1904's (or 1909's?? I forget) anyways, original carbs were Holleys with the float bowls on the front.

Welcome to the fun of old Fords!

jamyers":5vk01v03 said:
The original 170 in my '62 Ranchero had a PVC system almost exactly like yours. An adapter / elbow pressed into the block, rubber hose connecting a steel line up and around the valve cover alongside the steel fuel line, then another rubber connecting to the pcv valve screwed into the manifold (or carb base plate, I forget). Inlet air came through the oil filler cap, which had steel wool or something mesh as a 'filter'.

ANY sort of PCV system is better than the old road draft tubes, for a hundred reasons.

I would pull all the hoses / steel lines / pcv valve you can and clean them out, and make sure the block adapter / elbow is clear. NOTE: you're not likely to suck a lot of oil out of the engine at that point unless you've got really bad rings and have a LOT of blowby. Ford used that location on purpose to pull crankcase fumes from.

Original '62 pcv valves can be hard to get, but any later pcv valve will substitute, but you might have to relocate or rework mounting it.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure that carb is NOT original, everything I've seen indicates that all '62's came with Holley 1904's (or 1909's?? I forget) anyways, original carbs were Holleys with the float bowls on the front.

Welcome to the fun of old Fords!

awesome thanks. Good to know it at least is correct. After two days of cleaning I got the tube cleared out. The PCV valve was OK. I will put it all back together today...

Back