UGH... the problems of building a rare engine

The head turned out to be right at 50cc.

The piston is .055" below deck. I'm not sure how that happened. Compression distance is right at 1.600". Crank is turned .010" under so that would account for another .005" but I had it calculated at .034" I believe.

Using those calculations and a standard .041 gasket from felpro, I'm sitting at 10.3:1 if my calculations are correct.

The machine shop is going to unshroud the valves for me and taper the ridge off the valve opening. I might gain a cc or two.

FWIW, I mic'd a takeoff felpro headgasket @ .045", not sure if that helps your equation...
DannyG

That's why I wanted to post my takeoff/used gasket measurement. Taken with a known reliable micrometer I got .045".
DannyG

RichCreations":2rwyv4bh said:
Gene Fiore":2rwyv4bh said:
DannyG":2rwyv4bh said:
FWIW, I mic'd a takeoff felpro headgasket @ .045", not sure if that helps your equation...
DannyG
Huh...I always thought the felpro was .050

It is, until you install it, then they compress to .046 or so...

yep, danny gave the compressed thickness, which is what you need to know to do proper compression ratio calculations.

I understood the Felpro to be 0.050 as well. I thought it was the Corteco that was 0.044. I've read that a number of places here on the forum. Good to know!

Interesting. The Corteco/ROL gasket is the thickest, I've got all 3 here, I just mic'd the felpro @ ~.050" @ the printo seals and fire rings/~.046" @ the flat, the corteco @ ~.058"@ the flat and the Victor @ ~.047" @ the flat.

If you get another 2-3 cc's and go with a corteco/rol gasket you can get the SCR down to 9.8:1 or less

bluestang65":3hxmbazo said:
The head turned out to be right at 50cc.
The machine shop is going to unshroud the valves for me and taper the ridge off the valve opening. I might gain a cc or two.

Please post pictures of the combustion chamber after it has been worked.
It looks like the compression ratio will turn out OK.

Back