Is this thing any good?

78 granada

OK so I am not even done with my Granada and the wife decides she needs a completely rusted '49 Chevy 2D she found in a field towed home for "Yard Art"! So, I paid salvage for it and dragged (literally) it home. If I could figure our how to post a picture here I'd show you all. Anyway just out of curiosity I managed to get the hood pried open thinking it would be vacant, but noooo. Its got what must be the original 6 and tranny in there with everything intact. Looked at the rockers and they look great. Turns over by hand. So here's my question from a ford guy: What the heck is this motor? Is it desirable and worth putting time into? We all need to keep one project ahead of us right? Any random information on this alien is greatly appreciated!

They where decent cars in their day the chassis road good, the stock 216 engine is ok and very easy to work on, long lasting just as long as you don't push them too hard (extended high speed). Their main problem was that the oiling system was a bit weak the rods were a splash oiling the good news if you can find the later six engine mid 1960's and up had the better oiling system later transmissions are good too, both are fairly easy to fit them into the car chassis with very minor work. If you can make the old 216 run again without to much expense it might make a fun driver. As to posting pictures see below link for some info on posting pictures. Good luck :nod:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=48863

The car will never be roadworthy but it would be fun to get it running just as is. Reach in and start it! No one would ever expect that looking like it does. Might be worth something to someone freshened up though. Just as much fun to work on in any case. Thanks Bubba!!

Its going to a babbitted engine and cast iron pistons which is not quite as desirable as the later full pressure 235 or 261 engines. If the car is decent, you may consider a 250/292 inline engine swap or even the newer Atlas 4200 Vortech 6 cylinder engines in the mid-90's Trailblazers. These had almost 300 HP bone stock.

.. remember Chevy had no V8's in modern era until 1955. The '49 should have the venerable "Stovebolt" overhead valve six which remained unchanged through early 50's with vestigal splash oilers on the mains and 'squirters' for the rods.

IF it isn't trashed I'd try to oil it up , turn by hand and add gas and spark ...

have fun

. . .

The picture of the car on the right looks like mine, except what's that red stuff?.....oh, paint, well mine doesn't have that, or chrome, or glass, or floorboards......... But, I think with some distributor and carb work it just might run!! Not sure if its 6 or 12 volt but if I am not mistaken these were negative ground?

Should be 6 volt positive ground as were most cars and trucks built before 1955. :nod:

Back