Valve Spring Keepers

JayBayBay

Hey everyone, putting together my head after milling and some port work and ran into trouble with a keeper. Surprised I didn't notice it earlier but one and only one of my valve keepers is incorrect.

One on the left is the odd ball

img_3133.jpg

img_3134.jpg

Anyone know the manufacturer/part number that was used for the aluminum heads or the specs so i can order up a new one? I know they're 5/16" stem but not sure on the degree. Thank you!

They look like the average run of the mill stock replacement 7°lock used in any Chevy, Ford or Chrysler 11/32" valve stem. They are nothing special or custom. The oddball one if used in a matching set changes the installed height approx .050".

CNC-Dude":3p00ifjc said:
They look like the average run of the mill stock replacement 7°lock used in any Chevy, Ford or Chrysler 11/32" valve stem. They are nothing special or custom. The oddball one if used in a matching set changes the installed height approx .050".
except they are 5/16, not 11/32... but they are 7 degree

I saw he said 5/16" even when I was typing in 11/32" and it still didn't click.

Many camshaft mfgs. have 3 styles of keepers to allow different installed height for the retainers.
-.030-0-+.030.
Comp cams uses keepers for a 5/16 valve stems so you can use retainers designed for 11/32 or 3/8 valve stems.
The way to go is use valves .090" longer than stock so you have a better selection of valve springs for solid lifter cams which are aggressive & require 130# seat pressure & over 300# open pressure.
If you get an aggressive solid lifter camshaft with high spring pressures i would get the camshaft nitrided
hardened to prevent wear. Also need a hardened distributor gear.

Back