300 fuel injection swap

Nivekfreeze

Hey 300 gurus. I got a question.

My 84 F150 has a 300 in it. I have recently come across a 92 300 quite cheap. I'm aware that the 92 is a fuel injected. What do I need to do to swap it into my pickup? For those of you who will ask the question, I am looking at this swap because my current engine is worn out and leaks from every possible seal. However, it does still run good, so I'm hoping to rebuild an engine to swap in. Any help you fellows would be able to lend would me very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

I'd like to use the fuel injection. So I'm trying to find a computer to control the fuel injection. I don't have the original computer from the 92. So I'm trying to find some viable options. I'm sure I could find the computer from a 92 without a problem. however, I'm also hoping to do some performance modifications to the engine. Either a turbo or a supercharger. So I'm hoping to find something that can be easily tuned. Thanks, Kevin

If you still have the wiring harness from the EFI motor, I *think* you could plug in a Stinger PIMP since it'd be EEC-IV. Last I heard they don't have a base tune for the 300, but I'd reach out to them and see what you can find. If you don't have the harness, but do have the EFI components still on the motor then Megasquirt is probably the easy button. The alternative, but more costly option, might be to swap the carb intake manifold onto the EFI motor and use one of the bolt-on EFI units from Edelbrock et al. That's going to be quite a bit more money than either PIMP or MS, but an option nonetheless.

All that said, if you have the harness I would just get an ECM from a junkyard for $25 or whatever and use that. EEC-IV is solid and easy enough to run, and I'd start there. Get the thing running with as few variables as possible. Then, when you're ready for whatever comes next invest in a PIMP or MS - everything you need to plug those into the factory EFI harness exists, so you won't need to reinvent the wheel.

Thank you so much for the information. I do have the stock efi wiring harness. I'm hoping to supercharge the engine before its all said and done. So being able to tune the fuel injection is preferable. Again, thank you very much for the info. I will do some research and we will see how it comes out.

I checked with PiMP. They do have a basic map for the 300 I6. I think that's the direction I'm going to run. Should be a fun ride when it's all said and done. Thanks again for your help.

If they have a map and you have a harness, PIMP seems like exactly the right solution. Should be a fun project! Although I sold my F150 a few months ago, I seriously considered yanking the motor, and a supercharged EFI 300 swap into a Galaxie wagon is one of my dreams. Sadly, I have too many dreams, not enough time or money. ;)

Back