turbo 200 build

Looks awesome! Your headers make mine look like less of a headache!!! I was happy to design something that would fit nice and tidy and not interfere with anything along the way...yours take up every bit of room and then some. Cant wait to see how it goes and how the EFI works for you. I want to go EFI for sure but will stick with the carb till I can recoup some $$$. Good luck, keep it up!

Matt

66Sprint6":24wiyz8p said:
Looks awesome! Your headers make mine look like less of a headache!!! I was happy to design something that would fit nice and tidy and not interfere with anything along the way...yours take up every bit of room and then some.

Matt

Your set-up is clean - I had the a/c to work around, which made things complicated.
I've finished the adapter for the 5.0 bell housing and have got my coil bracket made - I just have to make the throttle body adapter and then all my fabrication
on the motor will be done!! :beer: Then the wiring begins...

plxzfwcaj

plrrxrfjj

Diggin the coil brackets for sure! Man, so many ideas to be stolen from this build, keep posting it up!

Matt

I'm still plugging away - they say the devils in the details. I knew what I was getting into when I started this build, but I underestimated the amount of custom parts I would have to design and fabricate :shock: Put the engine in car (finished fabricating the engine mounts) to get an idea of how everything is going to fit - see pics. I've been working on getting my flywheel/transmission/starter adaption finished - in the process of building my trans mount (I'm moving the trans and motor back approx 2" for better weight distribution) I'm also working on finishing the intake manifold - I have to cut several inches off the front of the intake plenum (the radiator outlet is right in line with the throttle body). Also making mounting brackets for radiator, intercooler and condenser. I reconfigured the radiator mounting to hide the intercooler so the front of the car will look stock (it's now stiffer, a little lighter and I can un-bolt the whole thing so it makes engine installation much easier)
I have a question - any suggestions for which spark plugs would be best to run with the Chevy coils?

Last edited by a moderator:
For plugs I like the Autolite or Mortorcraft copper plugs they are quite reasonable in cost or after you get it all dialed in if want you can go to the higher end Platnum or iridium type plugs. You might start out with about 2 ranges colder then stock. Good luck :nod:

The last few months have been busy so I haven't touched the car. Finally started working on it again last weekend. Finished the intake, mounted the radiator, condenser, intercooler and making lots of various brackets :roll: Starting on the wiring for the computer - I'm using the Holly HP EFI. Looks like it will be a pretty straight forward installation. Here's a couple pics on how it's coming along...

[image]http://imageshack.com/a/img923/5579/USdO7w.jpg[/image]
[image]http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1091/HSBy1w.jpg[/image]

USdO7w.jpg
HSBy1w.jpg
Question... On the idle air control: does the incoming air come from the low pressure side of the turbo or the pressurized side of the turbo?

67Straightsix":1lsfvk9k said:
Question... On the idle air control: does the incoming air come from the low pressure side of the turbo or the pressurized side of the turbo?
Not sure what you are asking.
Holley HP uses a 4 wire stepper motor type IAC to change the stop distance on the throttle body to adjust the idle.
In your case the throttle body is mounted to the front of the plenum which is the pressure side.

Have you read my posts on the "crankcase ventilation" below, and what is your plan ?
PS you are doing a great job. (y)......Speed it up I want to use your experience on the 200 with the Holley efi, so I can do mine. ;)

pmuller9":2116f8b9 said:
Not sure what you are asking.
When the I.A.C is open it bypasses the throttle body. On a stock engine the air the I.A.C is letting in is drawn from a source just behind the air filter.
On a turbo engine if the I.A.C opens when the plenum is under boost, wouldn't air go out instead of in? Hope I explained the question a little better.

drag-200stang":2116f8b9 said:
Have you read my posts on the "crankcase ventilation" below, and what is your plan ?
I've been following it closely - it was a detail I would have overlooked. So glad you posted before I finished. Thinking about venting through the fuel pump block off plate - Still working out the details.

I've said this before...but, it will be running this spring :LOL:
Just want to thank all you guys for your input - I would have dropped a V8 in this puppy a long time ago if not for this forum!

67Straightsix":2pljs4l6 said:
When the I.A.C is open it bypasses the throttle body. On a stock engine the air the I.A.C is letting in is drawn from a source just behind the air filter.
On a turbo engine if the I.A.C opens when the plenum is under boost, wouldn't air go out instead of in? Hope I explained the question a little better.
It was my fault. It was late and for some reason I was thing carb I.A.C. instead of EFI based I.A.C.

The I.A.C. valve should not be opened unless the engine rpm tries to go below target idle rpm.
That would not happen under boost. Is there some condition you are thinking about that would tell the ECU to activate the I.A.C. valve?

pmuller9":ba7bn7if said:
The I.A.C. valve should not be opened unless the engine rpm tries to go below target idle rpm.
That would not happen under boost. Is there some condition you are thinking about that would tell the ECU to activate the I.A.C. valve?

Thanks - This is my first attempt at building a turbo charged engine so I'm probably asking obvious questions - I just want to make sure I cover all the bases and not assume anything (that will come back and bite me :shock: )

67Straightsix":3voaa8h7 said:
Thanks - This is my first attempt at building a turbo charged engine so I'm probably asking obvious questions - I just want to make sure I cover all the bases and not assume anything (that will come back and bite me :shock: )

I've got to say that this is one of the best effort to do a "No holds Barred" street/strip straight six turbo build that I have seen.
Absolutely great planning and fabricating.
Looking forward to the end result.

That is a fantastic accomplishment and the workmanship is top notch. I hope you have enough money left to replace the rear tires often! Good pictures too.

I appreciate the encouraging comments - It helps me know that I'm still on track.

clintonvillian":1xsge3gl said:
Did I miss it? Which head are you using? Did you shave the log off?
The heads are from an early '70 200 - they're heavily ported. Yes, I shaved the log and exhaust off. If someone is going to do this, you need to
plan carefully on the mounting stud location (there's not a lot of room).

clintonvillian:1jzln658 said:
Are you making a custom gasket?

If so out of what?

And, any chance you can give us the dimensions on your stud locations?

Mr. Gasket sells blank intake and exhaust gasket material, so I'm trying that. The intake gasket is easy to cut - the exhaust gasket has been a challenge because the material has an aluminum honeycomb material embedded in it. I'm going to make a die to punch the exhaust holes.

In hindsight I would bolt an adapter plate over the intake and exhaust ports and fasten the manifolds to that (reference Fast64Ranchero) Right now I have one stud under the header tube and one above. The current location is not ideal - it works well for sealing the intake but I have to use the same studs for the exhaust manifold. I had to use little brackets on the header tubes and I'm concerned about vibration and cracking. All this being said, if you still want the dimensions I'll get them for you :LOL:
7ESmK9.jpg

I've wired the computer - it's went fairly smoothly. I'm using a Holly HP with unterminated harness (most of their applications are "plug and play"). Here's a quick installation review:
Overall, the instructions were easy to follow - there is no information on the sensor pins as far as positive/negative (had to look it up online). I was trying to use as many Ford parts as possible (IAC,TPS etc.) which are compatible, but trying to find a wiring schematic to adapt them to the Holley was a real pain. Spent way too much time searching for that then I would have liked :banghead: In hindsight I would just stick with Holley or GM components and be done with it. Otherwise, it's straight forward, just tedious and time consuming.
Also, got my pulley system finalized - found a belt and mounted my crank wheel.
R8SVuU.jpg

tc0Kqp.jpg

Back