Offenhauser 3x1 Build Thread

Its old Four eyed Dean....Been There, Done That....http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... ost1849278.

The early log is sure small inside, all early ones the same, 170, 200.

The reason for the 1.06 or 1.09" holes for the outer two carbs is that inside the head, it is 1.125" maximum. The casting is thick, and its small in their.

IMG_6744.jpg

chop1.jpg

1962_170_head_c1_or_c2.jpg

Hey Chad, yep just a 170 replacement starter from the local parts house, but it does have headers I just took them off the other day to do this work. Glad Dean answered cuz I wouldn't have known what you were talkin about :duh: :unsure:

Hey do you guys know what epoxy folks use for these port dividers?

Thanks,
Jeff

" what epoxy…"
hahahaha... that is funny![/quote said:
no seriously, they R usually tack welded / brazed after (4 me alota) hand filing / bench grinding to fit.
3 lill tacks in each corner of the "T" shape the 'wedge' forms.
I used a burr on a pneumatic 'dremel'.

I guess some sorta hi temp 'glue' would wrk, not a experimenter so used hi nickel rod in a stick welder.

Thanks Gene, I will definitely look into that adhesive.

So I started drilling into the log for the rear carb, and I guess I never noticed before but all the intake ports flow downward to the valves. Like #1 intake is about 30 degrees and #6 is I'm guessing nearly 60 degrees downward. I guess I always assumed these ports were more parallel? Anyway I think this is a job that should be done with the head removed, so it's on hold again!

Jeff

1strodeo":wawmma8a said:
Thanks Gene, I will definitely look into that adhesive.

So I started drilling into the log for the rear carb, and I guess I never noticed before but all the intake ports flow downward to the valves. Like #1 intake is about 30 degrees and #6 is I'm guessing nearly 60 degrees downward. I guess I always assumed these ports were more parallel? Anyway I think this is a job that should be done with the head removed, so it's on hold again!

Jeff

Untill you've spent real time "caresing the curves" of the log head, you just won't see how contorted the intake runners are. They were designed in late 1958, the casting locked in, even with alterations, for another 1/4 or a century till that last one was made for the 1983 Fairmont, Zephyr, and downsized LTD/Marquis.

Funny thing, even though thats the case, the Offy really makes any stock log head honk. Two extra carbs remove 16" of contorted 80 bends, and power goes up not by air increased air flow, but by having the gasoline right to the door of six cylinders at wide open throttle.

The port shape at the ends to cylinder one is odd, at cylinder 6, the upturn , well, its like sending a rat down a drainpipe

Guys have been cutting off the log head for years, and finding that the early 1961-1962 170/200 heads had only 1.125 " diameter ports with 1 sq inch of port serving a 2.13 sq in 1.65" diameter valve head, or a port 47% of the valve area.

choppedhead.jpg

1962_170_head_c1_or_c2.jpg

The later log heads, port size and area went up in two big buzz cuts, 1969, and then again to even more port area intakes in 1976, and those D6 onwards valve heads were now typically quite big inside.

Here is what a normal late model log head looks like inside.

a host of Americans, like Fast64Ranchero, JTTurbo, Big Al the Hackmiester, who's tool of choice was the Sawzall, have taken these pictures.

Christams07060.jpg

Big log was a D8
delog1.jpg

Small log like the early ones
200intake5.jpg

Experi Mental Frontal Log-otmy
200intake4.jpg

200intake2.jpg

"Experi Mental Frontal Log-otmy"
Doctor D?!?...
Is it not correct to use the term "logectomy"?
Perhaps the University of OZ uses a different term for the same o p e r a t i o n ?
:eek:

Frontal Lobotomy

Lobotomy, also called prefrontal leukotomy, surgical procedure in which the nerve pathways in a lobe or lobes of the brain are severed from those in other areas.

As a psych and aged healthcare worker for 11 years, many have suggested I might add myself to the One Flew Over the Coockoo's Nest practice Nurse Ratched....

So for Log Head, it would be a "Log-otomy", with the accent on "tomy"...from wence came the PinBall Wizzard.....oops, wrong, that was tommy...I can't win.....

1strodeo, be carefull with the key hole surgery, boy! You never know what power you'll unleash.....

Is it just me, Or is it just Early Bronco owners who keep bringing up "Taps in the back of the head"

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76918
xctasy":3oul85je said:
:nod: In the back of the head. (y)

Just like "They Came from Mars" :p

and, now, dodgy psych ward practises to subsume the world?

:chill: :cool: :duh: :unsure:

I declare, it IS an Early Bronco thing....C-H-A-D!!!!!! :help:

Guilty !
:roll:
(emoticon copied frm my adolescent daughter's reaction to
most of what I say, ware, eat, drive, do).

Don't 4get, I'm 1 of the ones who say the i6 is about right w/6 Micunies…
:rolflmao:

Thanks for the history Dean, and for the pics and thanks to those that took the pics! Really sheds light on these log heads.

Much of yours and Chad's posts I won't try and decipher further...I'm just glad I realized what I was about to do before I broke through the log!! and I'll be careful with the 'keyhole surgery', who knows maybe my Bronco will pop some wheelies :beer:

Head gasket is only $30, so may pull the head this weekend

jeff

"...Chad's posts I won't try and decipher further…"
yeah Mr. Jeff, just here to get the post count up.
:cry:

Right Chad I know better! keep em comin I appreciate the feedback! but when y'all start speaking in code I just kinda skip that part :unsure: :LOL: :D

i guess don't go digging if you don't wanna find something...holy crap!!

Pretty sure there's coolant on top of the lifters at #5 and #6, head gasket was intact, where else would it come from? Rust on #6 cylinder wall, caked oil on top of pistons, just some clues. Cylinders all appear to be sleeved, or were they all sleeved?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks for input

Jeff

Attachments

• #1cyl.jpg
    #1cyl.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 170head.jpg
    170head.jpg
    680.6 KB · Views: 201
  • #6 2.jpg
    #6 2.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 170pistons.jpg
    170pistons.jpg
    668.3 KB · Views: 201
:unsure: looks like it's using some oil, was it running before you took it apart? Good luck :nod:

Thanks Bubba, yeah it ran like a top, didn't smoke or run hot.

By the way disregard the coolant in the lifter valley, it was just fresh oil that resembled coolant (I'm super-color blind)

Excellent then you could clean it up as far as the old head gasket material, the carbon off the piston tops and you will be good to go on the bottom end (short block). Are you doing a valve job while the head is off to do the 3x1V Intake prep work? If not clean up the combustion chambers of carbon and top of head of any sludge deposits and put it back togeather. Good luck (y) :nod:

Thanks Bubba, thats what I was hoping to hear, really appreciate it.
I would have a valve job done if not for 2 things; 1) time, I only have the chassis until the body comes back from blasting, which could be any time and head work will take a week 2) head has a broken 'ear' for the rearmost exhaust bolt, been using a nut & bolt on that one, not sure how hard it would be to fix with the unforgiving exhaust mating surfaces.
I'll clean up tomorrow and install new gasket, and of course ready for Offy adapter!

One other thing you should check is that the valve guide seals are still in good condition, if in doubt about them post some pictures of the seals. If they show any signs of damage or cracks than you should also install a fresh set of valve guide seals while it's off. If you run out of time though they can be changed with the head installed back on the engine, though it takes more time. Good luck :nod:

You can cut a 1/2" metal plate and have it welded in like this

Some C7 heads

came out factory like this....

Others have 'other' ideas

Back