build'n an ugly one!!

A

Anonymous

:shock: talking to the wife the other week ,we decided to start a new project.the pt cruiser(her car)is now 3 years old ,and in abuot 2 yrs we'll need a replacement,so we decided not to get another new car, but to build a 50's style project.we wanted to do something really ugly(as the old saying goes---anybody can make a good looking car look better,but it takes real talent to make an ugly car look good!!)we bought a 1951 standard vanguard(look it up on the net)YUK!!looks like a squashed down 40's something dodge.powering it with a 265 hemi inline(same as my '23 buick but with the hp down to around 250--wifes car remember)already have a gm(torana)front susp welded in place.toque-flite auto, and volvo disc brake rear will complete the package.will be fuelled by lp gas(propane)and be as low as i can get it.weight will be around 2700-2800lb(1300-1400kg)so with 250hp it will still perform well(mid 14 sec 1/4's??)anyway i'll take some snaps and post them on the net as the build progresses.ps-- thw wife wants it sprayed in leopard print paint(that should be interesting!!) :roll:

Hey Steve! Got it at your place yet? I'll pop over and run riot with the dig camera if you like... I can remember seeing these - utes, mind you - back in NZ in the '80s.

Adam.

:) yep,and already started working on it!!front end is in and dummy motor is mounted.lot's to do yet though!! :D

Cool. As of next week, I'll be spending a fair bit of time down the the other end of Toongabbie Rd - only a mile away. One of my projects is starting to come together (the cost of a new Corolla later...)

Adam.

Way to go! Everybody loves odd-ball build ups......'specially me! :) .As for the Misses P/T Cruiser getting on in age..........that's just another project(lowered suspension,wheels,new paint(?)Turbo/Blower :eek: :eek: )down the road...........Hmmnn...seems you got yer hands full for the next couple of years there buddy :D :D !!!! Good Luck with your project :D :D OO6.

A Vanguard!? Well, it won't be completely ugly if you leave the funky little chrome art-deco streamline-modern kangaroo hood ornament on it, now will it?

Besides, if its wearing leopard print paint, you can only be accused of being a herd-follower in a preditory sense. ;)

Seriously, it sounds like a cool project.

Later, Kinky6. 8)

Couldn't find any pics of the Vanguard, but plenty of the Buick. We need alloy head shots to show the 300 guys.

the vanguard shots should apear in a couple of days,i'll take some close ups of the alloy head and post them.in the meantime,go to http://www.chiheads.com/main.html which is the site for cyl head inovations ,the maker of the heads. steve

good luck ;)
Nah as one of my buddies always says, old and ugly is good, you never have to worry about car theft!

Back