1970 Ford 170 Exhaust Manifold Choke Heater

Wascator

Hi, I am preparing may exhaust manifold for reuse. There is a tube fitting which seems to be pressed in on the top side of the manifold, above the twin exhaust ports in the center, and there is a hole on the bottom directly below this. Is this a passage for the air going to the choke? I can't get a rod through it right now, and I want to know for sure what is going on before I take a drill bit and clean it out.

I think I see now: there is a "supply" tube from somewhere, maybe the air filter, to the bottom hole in the exhaust manifold, and the tube from the top hole goes to the choke coil and is insulated with a woven sleeve. The hole therefore should be open through so air can pass.
Thanks!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76562&p=589372#p589372
ludwig":1c9pkiru said:

This is what they are talking about when they mention taking the vacuum off the log. My engine came with that brass block and ports. Distributor vacuum comes out of the carb. The one that is hooked up to the brass block goes to the transmission modulator. The other two are for additional vacuum functions. I'm thinking the larger one would be for the power brakes.

IDK how this looked when delivered from the factory. The little hoses with screw plugs were there when I got it. But the block with ports - I have been told - is a stock item.

the "woven sleeve" is asbetos (spelling) & an insulator 4 human protection.
Some don't use that method & use an ele. choke instead. This prevents 'dirty air' from entering the carb.

pretty sure they are all glass now. But yeah oem heat shielding definitely had asbestos. There was some tile type asbestos attached to heat sheilds in the 64 when I got it. Still on them I just haven't reinstalled them because the motor mounting changed.

X shows in the ludwig post how it gathers updrifting heat to the choke housing.
Urs DOES go in that hole U mention, oem, to catch the mani heat & direct it to a bi-metal coil in that choke housing.
I use an ele. & tap the 'stator' lug on my alternator. I got a lill inline fuse just incase (not needed).

Whicj ever way U go many "Help" sections in the big box auto suppliers (a peg board w/parts hangin on blister pac cards) have a replacement.
Some of the typical aftermrkt on-line 'stang sources have this (alu) tube. I wish ur exh. mani was off so U could soak the hole clean, but that's not necessary. A copper line of the correct diamiter is also sufficient. It's just something to get the heat up there for the 1st 5 - 10 min after starting.
A channel of sorts.

Wascator":1el4hf0z said:
and should I clean it out so that a rod passes all the way through?

It has a cap on the bottom with a side hole so drilling it all the way through the bottom is a no no. Are you sure your not getting any air through it? Good luck :nod:

Back