Turbo 240 or 300

Awesome thanks bubba22349. What do you think should I use one of those coolant holes for the turbo or tap into one of the coolant hoses? Haha my van had it totally opposite. The rear oil hole had the guage sender plugged into it, and the lower coolant hole had the guage sender plugged into that. The other holes must have been plugged. As long as you are correct that will make the turbo installation way easier. No I haven't put a return hole into the oil pan Im going to wait until the turbo is mounted before I go for that.

Yeah slowly but surely I am making progress. Just two nights ago we got the motor put back in. Now it's over to my buddies to help me weld the header as soon as I have some free time to get it over there. I'm thinking I'm going to go with bull dog for the engine management system? What do you guys think? Has any one used there products?
23431.jpeg
23409.jpeg
23399.jpeg

Thanks for the update.
Nice to have a crew that can muscle the engine in and out of the van.

I'm interested in watching the header construction.

Can't find any specific information on "Bull Dog" or "Bully Dog" systems.
Do you have a good link that has a breakdown on system features or specifications?

So my busy season is starting to whined down. I've got the motor all the way back in, the dog house somewhat back on, and the new steering box all welded in and fully hooked up!!! We were in the process of building the header and we decided that it would be smart to build the intake first and then header. So my first question is if you guys remember the stock lower half of a 300 intake that I'm going to use to make a plenum, how big of a throttle body should I go with? Which translates to how big of a tube should I use? Then should I tapper it as it goes back to the rear of the motor? Pmuller you said a stock 300 is equivalent to 60mm but should I go bigger for this application? My first step is buy the throttle body. Then decide what tubing thickness I should use? Also for the header planning I have talked to lots of turbo header guys and it is looking like my best option is going to be to build the header so that all the exhaust is ran up front to the turbo. Which makes the header pass right by a bunch of bolt holes in the front of the block (probably for AC and power steering). Should I weld a bracket to the header there for extra reinforcement that will bolt to the AC or steering holes? Then I've been told by different guys to go with either stainless steel tubing, or schedule 40 stainless steel pipe. The pipe being way stronger and thicker. The guys that said to go with schedule 40 said that I wouldn't even need the bracket bolted to the motor. So what do I do? what's over kill and what's not lol. I want this to be super strong and never break lots of off roadin and hard bouncing!!! I rally the old girl!!! What do ya think? Haha sorry lots of question. Pmuller I talked to bully bog and turns out my buddy that turned me onto them was mistaken they do not make something for my application. So after all my research it's looking like megasquirt is what everyone points me too. Someone just told me about a screen you can get that would wire in so I can have full control and tunability right there will I drive. Which is really what I wanted. So from reading on here it looks like you guys have figured out the megasquirt with a turbo so I should be able to just plug in some numbers and she'll fire right up??? lol?? Shewwwy I think that's it thanks for all your guys help. Hopefully more progress and updates soon!!!!!

I wouldn't use more than a high flow 65mm throttle body since the focus is mainly on low to mid rpm power.
The only drawback of using a larger throttle body is that it makes for a touchy low rpm throttle response.

I would leave the plenum dimensions the same as it travels back so each cylinder "Gulps" from the same plenum volume.

The forward bolt holes on that side of the block is usually for the alternator bracket.

For a turbocharger header that operates at a much higher temp than a regular header it is recommended that 321 stainless steel be used rather than 304.
PIPE and TUBING sizes are not the same and tubing sizes are offered in smaller increments than pipe.
SS Tubing can be purchased in a wide range of wall thicknesses so no need to go to schedule 40 pipe sizes for the sake of thick walls.

Use the MegaSquirt-3

Cool thanks again pmuller. I honestly know very little about the engineering side of this. So exact numbers are awesome. Should I go 60 or 65mm? How thick of aluminum tubing for the plenum and how thick of stainless for the header? Then should I match the inner diameter of the header tubes to my old headers? My alternator is on the drivers side of the motor. I have a set of four lower and a set of three upper holes on the passenger front of the motor. I was going to use one of them for the crank sensor.

I would go 65 on the throttle body.
The aluminum can be around .125" wall.

The stainless steel thickness for the header depends on what thickness your fabricator can mandrel bend.
.120" wall would be nice.

Off the shelf mandrel bend tubing is 16 gauge or around .065"

Nice ill see what I can find on mandrel bends that thick. Any suggestions on which company or what throttle body to use there seems to be a ton out there.

Perfect I just ordered that bbk will be here Saturday. Which one of those fuel rails that you showed me do I need to go with? As soon as I get that and the bbk in we will be building the plenum!!!!

So I got my bbk throttle body and it has a place for another sensor or something to mount to it? Two bolt holes and it looks like two other holes and it has a gasket. I read the installation instructions for the mustang and it sounds like the EGR valve might bolt to it? Does any one know what bolts to the throttle body? Thanks

That is for the Idle Air Control valve or IAC.
You will need it for idle rpm control.

Should be Genuine Ford Part# CX1824, E9AZ9F715BA

Thanks pmuller I ordered the IAC and it will be here Monday. It looks big. It's going to be a tight fit under the dog house for sure. Any idea on which fuel rail to go with? I tried calling that company and sent them an email with no response. Do you know what the sensor in the stock manifold I'm using is? I might have to cut the manifold past that hole. Whatever that sensor is could it be mounted in the plenum?

So I got a stock fuel rail what is the big regulator looking thing? And does it have to be there? Can I cut it out and mount a different one somewhere else. Also what is the little Schrader valve I'm pointing at. Also which way does the IAC valve mount on the throttle body does the sensor mount go towards the front or rear of the throttle body?

The big regulator looking thing is the fuel pressure regulator and a different regulator can be mounted elsewhere in the line
The Schrader valve is the fuel pressure relief valve..

The motor of the IAC hangs off the front of the throttle body

Awesomeness thanks for the reply. We are definitely going to cut out and relocate the pressure regulator then. It's looking like I have room for the IaC to go wither way which way would you go with lol

I just took a closer look at the inlet and outlet for the IAC valve and it looks like the motor hangs off the front of the throttle body.

Back