No Oil Pressure / YT Full Roller Rockers

schaferstephen

Hoping y'all can help me out with this...

Put a mechanical gauge on it... No oil pressure. I do have the stock YT rockers. I am using the appropriate oil-through lifters/pushrods and have a brand new oil pump... What am I missing?

I 4get now - did U shave the head? how much? enuff to need to deepen the" oil pocket" (spot where head/block exchange the oil 2 get it on it's way)?

Did U grind a passage (now I'm much less clear on this as I have oe rockers) on the pedistal to pass the oil up...when using yella terra there's a change that's hard to see/realize)? Can't just install w/o other changes.

Better wait for those more informed...saw comments I didn't follow as I'm not doing the mod - but folks here can help.

chad":1k7e52gb said:
I 4get now - did U shave the head? how much? enuff to need to deepen the" oil pocket" (spot where head/block exchange the oil 2 get it on it's way)?

Did U grind a passage (now I'm much less clear on this as I have oe rockers) on the pedistal to pass the oil up...when using yella terra there's a change that's hard to see/realize)? Can't just install w/o other changes.

Better wait for those more informed...saw comments I didn't follow as I'm not doing the mod - but folks here can help.
No, you do not need oil to the head at all when using the Yella-Terra 1.65 full roller rockers.
READ THIS: You need to block the oil passage by tapping the oil passage at the LR of the block deck & installing a pipe plug there. Reason the head gasket cannot hold full oil pressure at that area, if you don't do this you will develop an oil leak at the LR of the head gasket.
NOW lets back up & see why you have no oil pressure.
Did the machine shop install plugs in the oil galley behind the timing gear,
Pull the distributor & with a 5/16 socket with an extension hooked to a drill spin the oil pump shaft clockwise & see ifs not priming or is oil seem to be draining down at the front of the pan because of no oil galley plugs.
You did use 302-351 Windsor oil through lifters?? Bill

Yes, oil through lifters from CI and oil through rods as well. Going to check on the oil plug... Block to head is blocked, I know that for sure. Must be the front oil plug... Fingers crossed... Will report back.

I would do what Billy said about pulling distributor and turn drive shaft, listen for oil up front. This will give you the chance to check that the shaft is right , also did not fall off .
P.S. be careful that it does not get away from you or you may have to pull the pan.
Also pull valve cover and make sure a lifter did not kicked out, that will also cause no oil pressure.

:beer: Congrats on finding the reason for your lack of oil pressure, it should be smooth sailing now (y) ! Actually this senarieo seems to happen quite often during assembly. :banghead: of these Ford Small Six Engines. That missing front oil galley plug just isn't noticed during the short blocks reassembly. Good luck on your engine build :nod:

Stop now, I do not see a spacer behind the sprocket drive pin, inside bevel toward cam Journal . If I am blind , carry on. :shock:

:shock: good catch drag-200stang, yep it's missing the wedding ring (cam spacer ring) too. :nod:

I have a spare spacer that i can give you measurements to machine one. Post a want spacer in our wanted section of the forum.

:unsure: You might also pull the cam thrust retainer plate to check if it has gotten damaged by not having the spacer ring in place. If it's scared up very much it will need to be replaced or if it's not to bad it maybe able to have a light resurface. Good luck :nod:

bubba22349":fbdm32zn said:
:unsure: You might also pull the cam thrust retainer plate to check if it has gotten damaged by not having the spacer ring in place. If it's scared up very much it will need to be replaced or if it's not to bad it maybe able to have a light resurface. Good luck :nod:

Thanks all. Add posted in the wanted section, here's the link.

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=77509

The engine was just broke in so hopefully thrust plate is ok. Thanks a million, everyone.

schaferstephen":3u6nn3vy said:
bubba22349":3u6nn3vy said:

https://www.fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=77509

The engine was just broke in so hopefully thrust plate is ok. Thanks a million, everyone.
If you started the engine without the spacer, you might very well replace the thrust plate & probably the timing gear.
Melling was making the thrust plates. Check Rock Auto, Ebay NAPA & so on.
Actually the missing oil galley plug was a blessing to stop further damage down the road.

wsa111":swjsogui said:
schaferstephen":swjsogui said:
bubba22349":swjsogui said:

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=77509

If you started the engine without the spacer, you might very well replace the thrust plate & probably the timing gear.
Actually the missing oil galley plug was a blessing to stop further damage down the road.

Can I also get the spacer and spacer ring from them? Or does anyone have a picture of these so i can verify I am getting exactly what I need?

schaferstephen":281k489s said:
wsa111":281k489s said:
schaferstephen":281k489s said:

https://www.fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=77509

Can I also get the spacer and spacer ring from them? Or does anyone have a picture of these so i can verify I am getting exactly what I need?

There is only one spacer used it fits with its chamfer against the cam then the cams dowl pin goes on. The cams thrust / retainer plate is installed next followed by the cam timing gear held on with the bolt and thick flat washer. I will try and find you a picture of all the parts when I get home from work unless someone else beats me to it. Good luck :nod:

Stephen, i sent you PM for a link for one on ebay, but you never checked your messages. It is now sold.
The guy on ebay wanted $45.00 + Shipping for the spacer & a cam or crankshaft bolt & washer.
I have a thrust plate. I also have a spacer, but i will not sell the spacer. If you get no reply, i can give you the measurements so one could be made.

wsa111":nenop2gd said:
Stephen, i sent you PM for a link for one on ebay, but you never checked your messages. It is now sold.
The guy on ebay wanted $45.00 + Shipping for the spacer & a cam or crankshaft bolt & washer.
I have a thrust plate. I also have a spacer, but i will not sell the spacer. If you get no reply, i can give you the measurements so one could be made.

Ahhh I saw your PM, but it was too late. I'm in Egypt now - 8 hour time change is killing me. If you can send me the dimensions that would be wonderful. If you'd like to sell the thrust plate, PM me. Thank you!

bubba22349":34ih9ea5 said:
schaferstephen":34ih9ea5 said:
wsa111":34ih9ea5 said:

There is only one spacer used it fits with its chamfer against the cam then the cams dowl pin goes on. The cams thrust / retainer plate is installed next followed by the cam timing gear held on with the bolt and thick flat washer. I will try and find you a picture of all the parts when I get home from work unless someone else beats me to it. Good luck :nod:

Thanks! Really appreciate the help. Just trying to see what I have now, and what I should have. Thanks for educating me!

Back