Finding a large log cylinder head?

Royals65i6

I am fairly new to this so forgive me if I am missing something. I have a stock i6 200 and from what I have been reading there is a lot to gain by putting a 250 head on a 200. What is the best way to find one and what should I expect to pay for it?

First and few questions what are you planning to do with this motor intended use. And what year is it? The 200 and 250 head is the same, the head does change over the years. The best flow and valves is 77 and up but that does have a large compression chamber, as to where older ones have a smaller chamber. The added air flow will not make up for the drop in compression. But the head can be milled to correct that. I highly recommend that you get the falcon six porfmance book it has the specks of all the heads and great info in general. As to finding one just call up your local junk yards and see if they have one. I was able to find one for 100 but it can be a hit or miss. Make a plan on what you want - need before you spend money on something you don't need.

Hi, X2 on the Falcon Performance Handbook. Besides sorting out the different heads there are many tips to get the most out of your Ford six. Post the casting number and picture from the top of the intake manifold so we can see the year and model of your head. Flat top logs are easier to modify than hex logs. You may already have a good head to start with. Good luck

It's a 65 mustang. Purely a recreational car. Fun driving around town and fast when I want to. I could get a good pic of the intake manifold numbers but I can list them starting from the left : 5E20 C5O(this could be a D)E-6090-A. It's a flat top log.

Hi, the number you want is ** DE 6090 A. Figure out what the prefix is.
If you have a C5DE 6090 A,
your head is a 1965 because C5 is a Ford code for 1965.
All heads, including later heads with larger logs, carb opening, and maybe hardened valve seats
will bolt on, but your original carb may not. Good luck

Hi great Mustang to own that is the year I want. Get a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook it is a valuable resource and will get you up to speed quickly on performance and maintenance plans for the 170/200/250. Worth way more than it cost and was created by the fabulous Schjeldahl brothers who were some of the original pioneers in advanced Ford six studies.
The 250 arrived in about 1969 and so the head was upgraded with a larger log intake and valves and carb inlet hole increased. Yes you can get a good performance increase with a later head and different carb and ignition. If you are in contact with wsa then you are good with the ignition system. All detailed in the Handbook. Later heads not quite as easy nowadays to find but start with wrecking yards and car-part.com. The heads with D7BE and D8BE, both used on the 200 and 250, are nice ones to get and some others may be suitable for you also.
What transmission do you have?

Hi great Mustang to own that is the year I want. Get a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook it is a valuable resource and will get you up to speed quickly on performance and maintenance plans for the 170/200/250. Worth way more than it cost and was created by the fabulous Schjeldahl brothers who were some of the original pioneers in advanced Ford six studies.
The 250 arrived in about 1969 and so the head was upgraded with a larger log intake and valves and carb inlet hole increased. Yes you can get a good performance increase with a later head and different carb and ignition. If you are in contact with wsa then you are good with the ignition system. All detailed in the Handbook. Later heads not quite as easy nowadays to find but start with wrecking yards and car-part.com. The heads with D7BE and D8BE, both used on the 200 and 250, are nice ones to get and some others may be suitable for you also.
What transmission do you have?

Will any 250 head from 1969-80 work, or should I only look for one from 77 and 78?

It's a 3 speed, but I do want to upgrade to a t5

Howdy Back Royals and All:

Q- "Will any 250 head from 1969-80 work"?
A- Yes. Some are better and offer more improvements and are better for durability and performance.

Q- or should I only look for one from 77 and 78?
A- The '77 and later heads offer several features that make them preferred. Things like hardened valve seats, larger intake tract volume and 1.75" intake valves.

All 200 and 250 heads are the same from 1970 model year on. Changes came from year to year. By the 1978 castings you can be quite sure that all of the best upgrades will be present. On the price, that varies considerably. We got most of our head cores from junk yards. Some from friends that were upgrading to a V8. Prices ranged from free to $40. (Note- I haven't checked in the past few years.)

Good luck.

Adios, David

The Handbook provides details for all the six heads as they progressed through the years and the associated casting numbers so you know what to look for.
The T5 conversion is also covered in the Handbook and is a good performance choice. You get a close ratio four speed to replace your current three gears and an od for flying down the highway.

I think I might have found a 250 head. The person I talked to said it was from a 79 Granada, and the number on the intake is D9DE 9C485. I know the first 4 numbers mean 79 Granada engine, but what do the last 5 mean?

The first two ,D9, would mean 1979 but I am not familiar with a 79 head. The other numbers I am not sure what they are. Awhile back I got a 250 from a 79 Monarch and it is a D7 if I recall correctly. The large flat log. The good one. Get it and the air cleaner if it is available and the carb.

As mentioned previously, in the later years the 200 and 250 used the same head. The 200 was produced in the early 80's and can be found in the Fairmont/Zephyr/Mustang/LTDII. The casting code starts with E0 or E1 and has the largest log head volume of 1420cc.

Just another place to find the better head.

yep, E0xxxx is nice for lotta stuff, whadya gunna do?
E1xxxx is good for the same kinda jobs.
As above, it has hardened seats, larger valves & larger volumn...

Other heads R good for other things.
:eek:

I'm just following the list of things to do from the tech article "Building a Street Motor".
I figure I will buy that cylinder head and open up the intake manifold for a 2 barrel carb., which I am open to suggestions on. Unless someone knows where to find a CI head or an Aussie one, which would be awesome.

I'm not building a race car, but more like a fun car.

Royals65i6":nik6g309 said:
So, this would be the cylinder head I should buy, correct?

IMG_20171218_153116519.jpg
Yes , that is a as good as you can do for a log..Big improvement over the early dog logs.

So I picked up the cylinder head pictured previously, and plan on following the step as described in the tech article "Building a Street motor". Before I take it to a machine shop I need to figure which carb to use. Based on what I have read, there seems to be no consensus, but the Holley 4412 and Weber 38/38 seem to be the front runners. Any recommendations on which one to go with? Thanks for any advice.

Also, what's the hole for in the top of the intake manifold log? I haven't seen it addressed in any articles and my 1965 200 cylinder head doesn't have one.modified head.jpg

Back