Gear drive for a 200

:unsure: Hi Ranchero.Not that I know of.However,there are performance companies out there
that have a company motto that goes like this."If you got the money honey,WE got the time".All it takes is "Cubic Dollars".
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

X off on x-mass vacation? Hand that 1 off to him!

gear drive? U mean like on the 300 / 4.9?

Just keep in mind that creating a gear drive set-up for an engine that originally is chain driven introduces some challenges that you may not have considered yet, one is that it makes the cam reverse rotation, and a special cam will have to be ground to compensate. It also will make the distributor turn backwards unless the drive gear on the cam is machined in reverse to restore the original direction or a custom distributor gear is made to compensate for it. So it can end up being a costly modification above and beyond the price of the gear drive timing set.

cnc-dude is right if you are talking about a 300 big six style gear drive. the problem there is that the small six timing cover isnt large enough to use that style drive as the gears are too far apart.

adding a third gear is a possibility, that maintains the standard rotation cam and distributor, but it also has the problem of the timing cover not being large enough to handle the extra gear.

rbohm":1gtvynmm said:
cnc-dude is right if you are talking about a 300 big six style gear drive. the problem there is that the small six timing cover isnt large enough to use that style drive as the gears are too far apart.

adding a third gear is a possibility, that maintains the standard rotation cam and distributor, but it also has the problem of the timing cover not being large enough to handle the extra gear.
Well, you could shrink the 2 gears that are there to make room for the idler, just saying...

I was thinking about the same type of style that a V8 would use, but I can see how the cover is too small for an easy setup. Maybe if I modified the cover, hmmmm...

You might begin with a justification of why this is a viable swap for your needs. Given the custom fit aspect of it, does your build warrant such an upgrade to a gear drive, and with all the extra costs involved to buy the gears set and possible fab costs to make them fit. Do you end up being better with a gear drive over a double roller chain setup. Gear drives drain HP, on a certain dirt track engine we saw a 40 HP loss from switching to a gear drive over a timing chain in a SBC engine, with all other components in the engine being identical. On engines such as these inlines that don't make a lot of power anyway compared to others, is the power loss worth the switch.

CNC-Dude":2h3qs51s said:
You might begin with a justification of why this is a viable swap for your needs. Given the custom fit aspect of it, does your build warrant such an upgrade to a gear drive, and with all the extra costs involved to buy the gears set and possible fab costs to make them fit. Do you end up being better with a gear drive over a double roller chain setup. Gear drives drain HP, on a certain dirt track engine we saw a 40 HP loss from switching to a gear drive over a timing chain in a SBC engine, with all other components in the engine being identical. On engines such as these inlines that don't make a lot of power anyway compared to others, is the power loss worth the switch.
X2 (y) I have not had any problem with the oem drive and I abuse It.The 250 has some drive issues but the 200 is fine ,just use good parts.

I have abused my double roller quite a bit, I just don't like the looseness of it, I swear that the stock chain was a bit tighter. I just don't want to skip a tooth. I know that there is some degree of slack, but mine seems excessive. I just bought a new double roller chain, let's see if it was just worn out. I'll take some pictures when I have the chain cover off again.

Are you saying that the dbl roller had some slack when it was new and first installed?

It did, but it wasn't as much as it is now. I recently had some engine problems. My car backfired and shut off while I was on the freeway, after I had it towed home, I checked the timing chain to see if it jumped a tooth, the sprockets were still at the timing that I set it to, but the chain was very loose. My problem turned out to be a blown freeze plug at the intake. I decided to tear the engine down and I found that the rockers ate away at 2 of my valve's stems, I did a compression test and found that one of my cylinders were lower than the others, 5 were about 150 and one was at 110. I removed the head and found that I had some major scoring in one cylinder and I have never been satisfied with my oil pressure at higher rpms, so I'm building a new short block. Now that I have the engine taken apart, I'm looking to get rid of any weak links. I'm currently using a 90 shot of nitrous and I might go up to a 120 shot, this thing needs to be able to take a good beating.

64 200 ranchero":3aopbj1p said:
Check out echo1955's video mustang build III...

Good ol RP. Excellent procedure, fantastic camera & edit techniques. Thousands of "clicks"

64 200 ranchero":h8whu49t said:
Has anyone been able to adapt something to make a gear drive timing set for a 200?

Yes. Back in the day, a guy named Mike made some. Not Mike, AzCoupe, but a guy in Sonoma, CA
CI was supposed to sell them but there was some kind of falling out.

They did sound good!

64 200 ranchero":3rrvxftr said:
I have abused my double roller quite a bit, I just don't like the looseness of it, I swear that the stock chain was a bit tighter. I just don't want to skip a tooth. I know that there is some degree of slack, but mine seems excessive. I just bought a new double roller chain, let's see if it was just worn out. I'll take some pictures when I have the chain cover off again.
I do not use a roller, I use stock oem name brand.

65coupei6":c0lybzwz said:
64 200 ranchero":c0lybzwz said:
Has anyone been able to adapt something to make a gear drive timing set for a 200?

Yes. Back in the day, a guy named Mike made some. Not Mike, AzCoupe, but a guy in Sonoma, CA
CI was supposed to sell them but there was some kind of falling out.

They did sound good!

I can confirm that AZCoupe did have a geardrive setup installed in his '67 Mustang! That was the nastiest sounding 200 I have ever heard! With the hood closed, you'd swear it was a supercharged small block!

Later,
Will

Back