TwoFiddy Build KS 2018

DreiPower61

Im already a bite into my build but I want document my progress here incase anyone is interested.
Im a novice engine builder. This is my first ever engine build project.
Ultimate goal: Build a fairly unique daily driver for a 61 Econoline Pickup. (1-2 hour drives, mild lope idle, plenty of pep, and something worth raising the hood for folks to look at).

Progress so far:
Falcon Performance Handbook - Purchased, read twice and counting...
Pulled engine from Econoline - 200 C6DE, Rebuildable
Craigslist search - Purchased 3 Engines for $150, 250 D2DE, 200 C8DE & 200 C5DE

Found a local “one man” automotive machine shop within 3 miles of home with an owner that loves this sort of stuff. Willing to let me do a lot of the work.

Disassembled 250 Block and Head
Verified 250 Block and Head serviceable
Tanked and blasted Block and Head
Bored Cylinders .030 and honed
Removed broken exhaust bolts and or drilled and coiled.
Surfaced Block deck to true
Surfaced Exhaust ports
Found adjustable rocker assembly in one of the other craigslist engines, pulled, tumbled and cleaned.
Ground and balanced crankshaft
Verified deck height (Crankshaft centerline to block deck) at 9.488
In Process:

Enlarge Intake valves to 1.75
Enlarge Exhaust valves to 1.50
Verify valve guides serviceable
Install hardened exhaust seats
Verify Compression ratio current (Goal 9.2-1)
Formulate plan to achieve CR goal
Machine intake log for Tri-Power set-up. (Need Offy tri power bracket or formulate customer flanges)
Order lots of parts!

I think thats about it so far. Any input, cautions, advice is gladly received!
po0MCmiDj

73 250 Head Shot Blasted
poL2XVKjj

73 250 Crank, Tanked, Shot Blasted, Ground and Balanced
poovSYm6j

73 250 Block, Tanked
podo1IZ2j

73 250 Head Tanked

Hi, figure out if you need any Econoline only parts, maybe oil pan, which won't swap to the 250. Also figure out your tranny situation since your new engine is a low mount SBF style, and the Econoline came with the high mount starter. Good luck

thanks for the post & esp the pic, W E L C O M E !!!

" ...if you need any Econoline only parts..."
1) engine hangers? due 2 motor change
2) dog house enlargen? " " " "
250 is bigger than 144, 170, 200 the econobx came with (wider, higher, not longer - I don't believe).

Seth, an active member here, just went thru this with his early econo. Also there's some great folks over at Vintige-Vans dot com. The ford owners come over here w/the real knotty problems (motor) & we visit there. Ford-trucks.com is another of my favs but not much on the 250 (240/300? yes).
Ya saw the Handbook - ck the Tech Archive @ above crossed screwdriver/wrench & keep talkin

Awesome build post it is a good read. Nice progress and planning. That is the way to do it.

Can you put a 250" into an Econoline??

The best way of removing the broken bolts in the head, is to weld a 3/8 nut to whats left.. Line the nut up and weld through the hole..The heat will loosen the rust.

drag-200stang":1w2fgqpw said:
The best way of removing the broken bolts in the head, is to weld a 3/8 nut to whats left.. Line the nut up and weld through the hole..The heat will loosen the rust.
Sounds like a great idea but I won’t get a chance to try it on this block anyway, we’ve got them all taken care now. Thanks for the tip!

chad":2myfnn87 said:
thanks for the post & esp the pic, W E L C O M E !!!

" ...if you need any Econoline only parts..."
1) engine hangers? due 2 motor change
2) dog house enlargen? " " " "
250 is bigger than 144, 170, 200 the econobx came with (wider, higher, not longer - I don't believe).

Seth, an active member here, just went thru this with his early econo. Also there's some great folks over at Vintige-Vans dot com. The ford owners come over here w/the real knotty problems (motor) & we visit there. Ford-trucks.com is another of my favs but not much on the 250 (240/300? yes).
Ya saw the Handbook - ck the Tech Archive @ above crossed screwdriver/wrench & keep talkin
All excellent tips! Thanks! I have indeed been into the Tech section and continue to refer to it.

Did Seth have a builders log on here? Iv’e been searching and I do see his posts but I can’t seem to find anything on his build/install?

The biggest unkown for me at this point is the engine install but Im going to put that into the back of my thoughts for now and concentrate on the engine build first. By the time Im done with the engine I may find a newer model Econoline for a good price and in better shape than my 61 so no sense in making firm plans yet.

Econoline":1vnz6f2t said:
wsa111":1vnz6f2t said:

Yes you can, but it's a lot simpler if you do it into a 65-67
Seth do you have a builders log that I could take a look at? Would you link be to it, I can’t seem to come up with it.
Thanks!

WoW, the "pick-up".
Kouwell, ever do, know of any 1 who's done, a 'nose stand'?
:shock:
Greatly exaggerated claim?
I had a buddy who did so w/a FC Jeep...

DreiPower61":11jawr59 said:
Econoline":11jawr59 said:
wsa111":11jawr59 said:

Yes you can, but it's a lot simpler if you do it into a 65-67
Seth do you have a builders log that I could take a look at? Would you link be to it, I can’t seem to come up with it.
Thanks!

http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t39799-my-250-swap

I used a 65 170 crossmember, removed the inside frame mounts and moved them fwd to the 65-67 position, dropped them 1 1/2" iirc, and added outside mounts. The 61-63 frame is a little thinner, so you may want to beef it up a bit in that area. Also had to cut out for the trans hump like the 65-67's. I got a 65 doghouse but ended up using the original. It fits, barely.

Thanks for the link Seth. Great build and I have to say, a bit intimidating for a novice like me. One step at a time I guess. :thanks:

"...a novice like me..."
don't even go there, we got all kinds from them just startin thinkin bout gettin a car all the way to international experts w/yrs deep in the industry. 'S what I like about commin over here. Ask any Q & still get treated w/respect, good answers, work around solutions, how to avoid knuckle busters, savin money...all done w/respect, grace, and even a few good laughs
Stick around and enjoy.

BTW: what's the "KS" mean in yer topic line?

Nice job Seth. How is the performance??

It's been running great. :beer: It gets along nicely. I've got almost 3000 miles on it now. Never has any overheating issues other than carb vapor lock after being parked hot. But I think that is somewhat unavoidable with these vans. Between swapping to an HEI module and replacing the RBS with a YFA, my pinging under load and rough idle when stopped in gear problems are gone. After about 1500 miles or so the old AOD loosened up a bit and is shifting perfectly now. It liked to skip 2nd gear for a long time. Eventually I want to do a 2v conversion on a spare D5 head I have and go GM TBI. There are some things I would have done differently in hindsight, but I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out. If it weren't for the desire to have an AOD for road trips I would have just put in a 200, way easier with a 61-64 van or truck.

chad":u5kd3t2j said:
"...a novice like me..."
don't even go there, we got all kinds from them just startin thinkin bout gettin a car all the way to international experts w/yrs deep in the industry. 'S what I like about commin over here. Ask any Q & still get treated w/respect, good answers, work around solutions, how to avoid knuckle busters, savin money...all done w/respect, grace, and even a few good laughs
Stick around and enjoy.

BTW: what's the "KS" mean in yer topic line?
Thanks Chad! I agree, Ive seen nothing but positive input here, very refreshing! It’s Chad here also by the way and the KS is Kansas.

Out with work for a couple of weeks. I checked in with the machine shop this morning and started de-casting and polishing the rods. The good news is my machine guy has milled the intake and started fabricating some brackets. In “other” news, he placed the new carb ports directly over the #5 and #2 instead of center them on the outboard cylinders. Question, big deal or not? Consequences? Challenges?
[image]https://imageshack.com/a/img923/4130/WcSL1Z.jpg[/image]
[image]https://imageshack.com/a/img923/7200/MkYAsa.jpg[/image]
[image]https://imageshack.com/a/img922/8851/ZoBZld.jpg[/image]

"... he placed the new carb ports directly over the #5 and #2 instead of center them on the outboard cylinders. Question..."
Y not go w/tripower now?
(verify Offy linkage clears log cuz the Offy intake will not fit)

Did U get the casting numbers offa that head B4 machining?

EDIT:
never mind. I C now, (D3xxx) just so flat I wuz wondering...

Back