New guy questions

Cribbs74

I have a couple questions cornerning the 200CI, first does anyone know how much it weighs fully dressed?

What is the difference between a large log and a small log? Besides size I assume.

My block casting numbers are C6DE- 6015-B that is found on the left side of the block. On the right side the is a FoMoCo logo cast into it and underneath it says 5M21.

I was told it was pulled from a ‘67 fairlane.

as i recall, a 200 weighs in at around 400lbs fully dressed. i think someone will give a better weight than i will.

a large log head is just that, a log manifold that has a larger volume than the small log head does. it also has a larger carb mounting flange, a 1 3/4" opening vs the smaller log 1 1/2" opening. the large log heads also are flatter on top than the smaller log heads are.

the large log head also has a larger combustion chamber than the small log head.

when you find a large log head, grab it as the deficiencies are easy enough to overcome , IE skimming the head to reduce the size of the combustion chamber.

one more thing the large log head have larger valves than the small log head,

Hi, get a copy of The Falcon Performance Handbook to get the most out of your Ford 6. You will learn about heads, blocks, carbs, ignitions and a lot more.
What is the engine going in?
What are your plans for the car?
Start reading the old posts and see what people are doing.
Good luck

C6DE-6015-B these Casting / Design numbers Decode like this

C = Stands for the Decade Ford designed the part (1960)
6 = The Year added to above decade (1966)
D = The Ford car model part was designed for (Falcon)
E = The Ford Department the part was designed for (Engine)
6015 = Fords Generic Part Number for an (Engine Block)
B = The number of times the part was improved (2)

5M21 is the exact day the part was cast at the Ford engine foundry it Decodes as this

5 = the year of 1965
M = the month of December
21 = the day
So December 21, 1965

This block would have been orginally installed in an early 1966 year model Ford or Mercury car! So if it came out of a 1967 Fairlane then it would have had to be swapped in or installed later on in its life. Good luck (y) :nod:

nice car (if still around, 6th gen I think) handsome AND
1 of my favorite 'cheros - the only 1 w/the stacked headlights.
Some 1 on here has 1...

W E L C O M E !!!

B RON CO":g0q3gk97 said:
Hi, get a copy of The Falcon Performance Handbook to get the most out of your Ford 6. You will learn about heads, blocks, carbs, ignitions and a lot more.
What is the engine going in?
What are your plans for the car?
Start reading the old posts and see what people are doing.
Good luck

1958 MGA. It’s a non-original engine car... I am having a tuned 1800 done up for the car, but intrigued about the possibility of installing an inline 6. Many British cars had Ford engines installed in them. I was thinking of modifying the log to accept dual SU carbs. Mild performance build to give it some pep to round things out.

I was considering a 302, but the amount of cutting involved made me lose my interest in that conversion.

With a stock output of 120hp and 190ft lbs of torque and an AUW roughly the same as an MGB engine it would be a good candidate for a swap.

bubba22349":7bvxp7dc said:
C6DE-6015-B these Casting / Design numbers Decode like this

C = Stands for the Decade Ford designed the part (1960)
6 = The Year added to above decade (1966)
D = The Ford car model part was designed for (Falcon)
E = The Ford Department the part was designed for (Engine)
6015 = Fords Generic Part Number for an (Engine Block)
B = The number of times the part was improved (2)

5M21 is the exact day the part was cast at the Ford engine foundry it Decodes as this

5 = the year of 1965
M = the month of December
21 = the day
So December 21, 1965

This block would have been orginally installed in an early 1966 year model Ford or Mercury car! So if it came out of a 1967 Fairlane then it would have had to be swapped in or installed later on in its life. Good luck (y) :nod:

Very informative, thank you very much for writing all that out for me.

rbohm":gdopwi0z said:
as i recall, a 200 weighs in at around 400lbs fully dressed. i think someone will give a better weight than i will.

a large log head is just that, a log manifold that has a larger volume than the small log head does. it also has a larger carb mounting flange, a 1 3/4" opening vs the smaller log 1 1/2" opening. the large log heads also are flatter on top than the smaller log heads are.

the large log head also has a larger combustion chamber than the small log head.

when you find a large log head, grab it as the deficiencies are easy enough to overcome , IE skimming the head to reduce the size of the combustion chamber.

one more thing the large log head have larger valves than the small log head,

Guess I am on the hunt for a Large log then.

ford six with twin SU's : about page 6
from a classic hot rod magazine article :
archive/www.classicinlines.com/HA1.html

pict4.jpg

Hi, the Ford 170 is about 2800 cc, so just think about how much more motor your getting. Good luck

"...ford six with twin SU's : about page 6
from a classic hot rod magazine article :..."
(Hot Rod July 1967)

How Many Carbs?
they like the 4 Kliens even better and
we have several threads on logatomy (or as in X: a logectomy) w/
1 per cyl (i.e., 6 motorcycle carbs).

One nice mod can B seen on YouTube, a 2 vid presentation.
I don't think ol AK ever got to 'one per' but he did get up to
10:1 compression, re-camed it & use an A/F gauge...

I think in an MG the additional weight will require suspension/brake/steering changes. What was done to the Sunbeam when replacing it's 4 with the ford 289? May be not that radical extent of mods (200 # difference).

Howdy Crebbs and all:

Super cool project!!! Thanks for sharing. FYI- The original British MGA four cylinder engine were quite heavy and tall. How did your engine weight comparisons come out? Is there a reason why you are thinking of a 170 rather than a 200 engine?

Great project. Keep it coming.

Adios, David

The MG 4 cylinder weighs in at 400lbs dressed and the 200 Ford is roughly the same +/- 20 lbs from what I gather. Of this is true then the only mod will be the addition of disc brakes up front, mostly just to compensate for the increase in overall power. The extra length of the engine itself will be shifted towards the rear of the car.

The engine I have is a 200, not sure why the 170 came up.

I thought about 6 individual carbs, but syncing 2 is painful enough, I don’t want to mess with keeping 6 carbs in tune. Now 3 carbs is doable and something to consider.

I would love the aluminum head, but crap that thing is pricey. I like everything about this 200 Ford, just not the log head, Why only the small sixes have the log is a little confusing. I’ll probably be grinding off the carb mount cast plate and brazing a cover onto it, brazing SU carb flanges into the side of the intake. I could go with 2 1 3/4 HS6’s or 3 HS 4 SU carburetors. If I can find a Large log I will be doing the intake mods with that instead.

More to follow, project is really at the dream stage as I have a ‘66 VW to get road worthy for my oldest Daughter. After that it’s game on!

Howdy Back:

My mistake on the 170. Ron mentioned it and my mind went astray.

Are you planning on using the stock hood? Have you looked at side clearance for the side draft carb?

You have a great project. A well built 200 in an MGA sure gets my "what it" juices going. Keep us posted as you progress.

Adios, David

CZLN6":ri6m150n said:
Howdy Back:

My mistake on the 170. Ron mentioned it and my mind went astray.

Are you planning on using the stock hood? Have you looked at side clearance for the side draft carb?

You have a great project. A well built 200 in an MGA sure gets my "what it" juices going. Keep us posted as you progress.

Adios, David

Thanks David,

The stock engine and the 200 are roughly the same width so side to side clearance shouldn’t be an issue. Also, the intake and exhaust manifold will be on the passenger side which will afford more clearance.

What method are you guys using to modify the stock 200 intake manifold? Brazing? Nickel welding? Are you heating the head prior?

Also, can improvements be made to the stock head to increase flow? Larger valves? Porting etc.

I am just wondering if I can work with what I have or of I am better served finding a large log head.

Thanks,

Ron

Cribbs74":1aljrdv9 said:
What method are you guys using to modify the stock 200 intake manifold? Brazing? Nickel welding? Are you heating the head prior?

all of the above, or precise machine work, or JB weld.

Also, can improvements be made to the stock head to increase flow? Larger valves? Porting etc.

yes the stock head can be made to flow better, small or log head the plan is the same. larger valves, porting of the valve bowl area, by smoothing it out and blending the seat into the valve bowl. on he exhaust side you can also open up the ports themselves by matching the opening to the gasket, and blending back about 3/4".

I am just wondering if I can work with what I have or of I am better served finding a large log head.

Thanks,

Ron

in the end you can improve the small log head. the reason most of us go looking for the large log head is because you get even more improvement with the same modifications due to the greater fow capacity of the head.

/OR/
chop off that asthmatic thing &
go multi-side drafts.
(Solex, 50s 'vett, SU, Weber, "motorcyl.")

Plenty threads on that here too.
(Oz, USA & way back Lymie).

Back