COMP Cams High Energy cam kit - spring issue?

BORN 2L8

Hi Everyone,

I am about ready to put back together my 1966 Ford 200 head. I have a COMP Cams High Energy Cam and Lifter Kit (K65-235-4). The installed valve spring height listed by COMP Cams is 1.6", but when I measured the valve spring area (excluding the retainer) by measurements were showing 1.502"-1.545" (the valve seats were redone in the past, thus the variation). Reading the For Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook, retainers from a 1962 Ford 260 V-8 are 0.105" thinner than the stock two-piece retainers. I am assuming that if these V8 retainers are used it will give me more height for the spring. Can anyone shed some light on this? I do have a 1962 Ford 221 V8 with the heads off that I will inspect, and also have a 1964 Ford 260 that I can compare to.

Thanks,
Tom - Born 2L8

I believe all the cam manufactures offer several keepers with 3 different heights. Check Comp Cams website or give Summit a call.

yes OP if you use the one piece retainers that are thinner, it will give you a greater valve spring height reading. just like using shims will reduce the reading. and as wsa noted, you can contact comp cams and let them know of your situation, and get them to help you figure out which retainers you need.

Back