"New" Carb Question

65_Stang_170

Howdy Y'all!

I recently purchased a '69 250 (large log), and stripped all of the accessories off of it. I am planning on using the Autolite 1101 and the distributor that I pulled off of the block on my '66 170 (small log). I have a couple questions:

Obviously it's not a straight bolt on for the carbs because of the large log -> small log move. I've attached a photo for reference. I've also attached a picture of the 170's intake.

Will this adapter from VI work for my application? In the description it says for a Carter 1v... Is the bolt pattern the same as the 1101? Also, what are order/ship times from VI?

https://www.vintageinlines.com/product- ... -small-log

Also, I didn't see it until last night: Am I missing the venturi insert thing on the 1101? (picture attached) My 1100's venturi has a 'red' hue to it. If I am missing it, how much of a difference will it make if I don't have it?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• carb mounts.jpg
    carb mounts.jpg
    830.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Carb Venturi.jpg
    Carb Venturi.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Intake Mount.jpg
    Intake Mount.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 116
Also, I am missing the plastic piece circled in the attached picture (which I borrowed from 65 Mustang's post). Any thoughts on where to get one? My 1100 does not have that piece, so I can't grab it from there.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1101.jpeg
    1101.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 114
Howdy Stang170:

Hmmm. I may be confused. Are you planning to swap the '69 1101 carb and distributor to your '65 170? If so, you have several options. The simplist is to slot the mounting holes on the base of the 1101 to fit your 170 carb adapter and flare the inside edge of the adapter to allow the larger 1101 butterfly to open. The adapter is is made of soft metal and can be filed with a rounded file.

Option 2 is to use the 1101 adapter and slot the mounting holes that mount it to the 170 log.

I think the VI adapter would take some modifying to mate to the 170 log also.

The venturi on the 1101 looks normal. It's unlikely that the carb would work without the plastic venturi insert. The reddish hue on your 170 1100 is probably due to the gas you are using, or an additive.

If I missed something please set me straight.

Adios, David

CZLN6":2iof6vl7 said:
Howdy Stang170:

Hmmm. I may be confused. Are you planning to swap the '69 1101 carb and distributor to your '65 170? If so, you have several options. The simplist is to slot the mounting holes on the base of the 1101 to fit your 170 carb adapter and flare the inside edge of the adapter to allow the larger 1101 butterfly to open. The adapter is is made of soft metal and can be filed with a rounded file.

Option 2 is to use the 1101 adapter and slot the mounting holes that mount it to the 170 log.

I think the VI adapter would take some modifying to mate to the 170 log also.

The venturi on the 1101 looks normal. It's unlikely that the carb would work without the plastic venturi insert. The reddish hue on your 170 1100 is probably due to the gas you are using, or an additive.

Yes, I am planning on swapping the '69 1101 and distributor onto my 170 (it's a '66 block).

Option 1: will it matter if the base of the carb extends off (overhangs) the 170 carb adapter? The bolts line up perfectly, the carb is just much larger than the adaptor, and the butterfly can't open (can be flared as you suggested).

Option 2: I don't think this would quite be possible (I'll check/measure when I get home). I think the mounting holes would end up in the carb mounting surface.

The VI adapter say from large 1V carb to small log, so I thought that would work (unless it is actually for Carter 1V only). I shot an email inquiring about my specific set up, so we'll see what comes back.

Thanks for the info!

Just buy it. It looks like you have the orientation adapter, that's the hard one to find. Better yet find a good RBS or YF(A) and use that. I don't have that plastic bit, but you might try and get ahold of Mike's carb @ 888 689-9758

I received the Large 1V to small log adapter, and it was not a direct bolt on for the autolite 1101 (it was advertised for a carter carb). However, I was able to widen the holes on the base of the carb to make it fit. Now to find or make that pesky plastic piece for the choke...

In the above photo it looks like you already have two original factory Autolite carb to head adapters (early and late) I would just use the late 1969 one with your 1101 carb should be an easy to fit. Good luck (y) :nod:

yeah, that plastic's not easy. How bout wrkin some alu bar stock?

Back