Turbo 240 or 300

brandoncw":29i2bm7j said:
Can anyone sum up the build, theres so much information my heads gonna explode :LOL:
The goal is to have full boost from 1500 rpm with a 3500 rpm limit and HUGE torque.
This is exactly opposite of most turbocharger applications where the main concern is upper rpm horsepower.

The group doing the higher rpm turbo power builds can get away with using a larger turbo than what is needed because they rarely run the engines rpm low enough under power to push the turbo near the surge limit.
It works out ok with the upper power band running near the center efficiency island on the compressor map instead of the right hand side.
We did that when running a class that gave us a 200lb weight break with a smaller engine and a 88mm turbo size limit.

In this case we are looking at doing everything possible to get full boost by 1500 rpm so the turbo is sized smaller than usual so it can run at very low rpm without surge.
So now instead of limiting the low rpm to keep the turbo out of the surge zone we have to limit the upper rpm to keep the turbo from running into the choke zone. Just the opposite from the above situation.

That is what all those pages of planning was about.
The compression ratio, cam selection and header design is all part of that same equation.
The component selection and design needed to be carefully considered for the success of the project.

The other part of this project was how to make the turbocharger system and EFI intake system fit into the engine box of an early Ford Van

Did I miss anything?

I think you nailed it. I can’t want to see a video of this running and curious about what it’s like to drive. I bet the hardest part would be keeping the drool from going in your ears!

If full boost is at 1500 rpm, will it be like a light switch from 1,000-1,500? Or will that ball bearing turbo have some spool at idle?

Wesman07":3d7cue25 said:
If full boost is at 1500 rpm, will it be like a light switch from 1,000-1,500? Or will that ball bearing turbo have some spool at idle?
Ball bearing turbos spin if you blow on them and spin when you hit the starter so they track the exhaust pressure pretty closely.
So it depends on how fast the exhuast pressure rises.
In other words I don't know for sure and am waiting just like everyone else to see the results then we can fine tune from there.

pmuller9":27ip6fj1 said:
brandoncw":27ip6fj1 said:
Can anyone sum up the build, theres so much information my heads gonna explode :LOL:
The goal is to have full boost from 1500 rpm with a 3500 rpm limit and HUGE torque.
This is exactly opposite of most turbocharger applications where the main concern is upper rpm horsepower.

The group doing the higher rpm turbo power builds can get away with using a larger turbo than what is needed because they rarely run the engines rpm low enough under power to push the turbo near the surge limit.
It works out ok with the upper power band running near the center efficiency island on the compressor map instead of the right hand side.
We did that when running a class that gave us a 200lb weight break with a smaller engine and a 88mm turbo size limit.

In this case we are looking at doing everything possible to get full boost by 1500 rpm so the turbo is sized smaller than usual so it can run at very low rpm without surge.
So now instead of limiting the low rpm to keep the turbo out of the surge zone we have to limit the upper rpm to keep the turbo from running into the choke zone. Just the opposite from the above situation.

That is what all those pages of planning was about.
The compression ratio, cam selection and header design is all part of that same equation.
The component selection and design needed to be carefully considered for the success of the project.

The other part of this project was how to make the turbocharger system and EFI intake system fit into the engine box of an early Ford Van

Did I miss anything?
Did he use the stock crank or forged? And if he used stock, did it get any custom grinds?

Stock iron crank with the rod journals turned down to 2.100 to fit the SBC rod bearings.

nice yeah he pretty much nailed. The old girl did get a forged crank though. Ordered more stainless to finish the header and am working
On the floors and the intercooler today. Thanks for all the interest guys this forum is awesome!!!!

Ramian17":tx5e045i said:
nice yeah he pretty much nailed. The old girl did get a forged crank though. Ordered more stainless to finish the header and am working
On the floors and the intercooler today. Thanks for all the interest guys this forum is awesome!!!!
Are you gonna put her on a dyno for us??

Wasn't planning on it. I could put the van herself on a Dyno if that would make ya happy? As is it's looking like I have to take the motor back out to take the oil pan off. So I can drill and fab up an oil return. Fun fun fun. So I didn't really want to take it out a third time to Dyno it lol

Ramian17":zvaos73k said:
Wasn't planning on it. I could put the van herself on a Dyno if that would make ya happy? As is it's looking like I have to take the motor back out to take the oil pan off. So I can drill and fab up an oil return. Fun fun fun. So I didn't really want to take it out a third time to Dyno it lol
I didnt even think of just the engine on a dyno lol, and i feel ya, getting an engine out of a van isnt the most fun thing in the world :LOL: id be pleased with a dyno of the whole van, personally i feel as if you know more about your set up that way rather than just putting the engine on the dyno. You are then testing how the trans, the axles, tires, etc. Affect your end result.

Ramian17":v9yhw8vf said:
Awesome yeah I probably will take get to the dunno then. Here is the start of slicing up my brand new intercoolers. So we can make them one.
Are you doing this because you need more cooling for your slower rpm and speeds, yet high boost? And are you putting an electric fan on the front to help push air in?

Ramian17":6ufmbu47 said:
Awesome yeah I probably will take get to the dunno then. Here is the start of slicing up my brand new intercoolers. So we can make them one.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ul9hknz5kbpkg ... 0.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oqjw891gmb2i ... 6.jpg?dl=0
It would be cool to have pressure sensors pre-intercooler, post-intercooler and also in the junction you are creating. This is a clever idea and I would be interested to see how much pressure drop a configuration like this creates.

I'm mainly doing it because I needed the inlet and outlet on the same side, and this gives me the biggest one possible with that set up. I did a lot of research and some people said that the inlet and the outlet on the same side is actually better? Lots of opinions and studies out there. This one I am building will be 16 inchs tall and 24 inches long just in the core. I would love to have all those pressure sensor. But right now I'm focusing mainly on just getting her moving lol.

Do you have room for long intake runners? I see big low end gains when going from a 6" runner to a 22"

Working on the floors everyday. Lots of upside-down grinding, welding, and sanding. Tons oh fun. Gotta find and make it your Zen place. Lost my helper buddy so I'm a one man show right now. Once the floors are sealed, sanded, and masked they will be sprayed with some undercoating. Then I can install the radiator and intercooler. Also got the rest of the two inch stainless and the stainless two inch v bands, so i will be finishing the header soon. Then it will be wiring, electronics, and all the finishing touches. Sorry guys still a ways out. Trust me it's killing me and I work on her everyday!!! This old girl was my daily driver and will be once she is alive again.

Back