Ford Six HotRod Articles

62Cometman

Ive compiled as many of the HotRod Magazine articles from the 60's as i personally own. Im sure im missing a few and if anyone wants better pictures of a certain part of a page let me know which one and ill try to get it for you.

40367050875_f6ee147d78_k.jpg

39453657470_a2fc7800cd_k.jpg

41262913111_8d225b5d2d_k.jpg

41219399852_1bf133bd63_k.jpg

very nice.
I C they were usin the DOCEs then
and the Keihins.
Did a quick read & didn't C where they got intakes for these.
Will hafta go back'n read more closely!

Thanks for your work!

Just curious,

How might one go about getting this supercharger on a 200 and what will be needed to set it up? Im talking low boost here like no special internal block work other than a nicely done 250 head.

My understanding (probably wrong) is there is no need for special block changes. I think that's just for turbos above 8 or 10 # boost?
BTW: I have a spare supercharger (in parts).
Plez consider a post over on the other forum ("Nitros, etc..." 4 more detail.

chad":284uph1v said:
My understanding (probably wrong) is there is no need for special block changes. I think that's just for turbos above 8 or 10 # boost?
BTW: I have a spare supercharger (in parts).
Plez consider a post over on the other forum ("Nitros, etc..." 4 more detail.
Im not looking at doing this now. Just something i was curious about. I have another 200 im thinking of hot rodding. Tripower 1904 glass bowls kinda thing. I thought the supercharger might be a nice touch.

StarDiero75":3khiv304 said:
Just curious,

How might one go about getting this supercharger on a 200 and what will be needed to set it up? Im talking low boost here like no special internal block work other than a nicely done 250 head.

how much boost do you plan to run? it doesnt matter the type of charger, be it a turbo or some form of supercharger, what matters is how much boost you plan to run, and how well you control your air/fuel ratios. for instance if you plan on limiting boost pressure to around 6 - 8 psi, then you can put said charger on a stock motor, assuming a compression ratio no higher than 9:1, on a stock motor and have no issues to speak of. unless you have no control over the air/fuel ratio.

its all in the combination my friend.

rbohm":32clpasg said:
StarDiero75":32clpasg said:
Just curious,

how much boost do you plan to run? it doesnt matter the type of charger, be it a turbo or some form of supercharger, what matters is how much boost you plan to run, and how well you control your air/fuel ratios. for instance if you plan on limiting boost pressure to around 6 - 8 psi, then you can put said charger on a stock motor, assuming a compression ratio no higher than 9:1, on a stock motor and have no issues to speak of. unless you have no control over the air/fuel ratio.

its all in the combination my friend.
How do i control the air/fuel ratio? Just adjust the jets accordingly?
I probably wont go higher than 9:1 in general anyway since i want to be able to run pump gas. Maybe 9.2:1 if i dont supercharge it. I kinda like the idea of supercharging rather turbocharging since i dont have to run the plumbing for it and stuff. For some reason a supercharged 200 sounds cooler than a turbocharged 200 lol.
Probably only about 8lbs max. Im not looking at a street demon but something thatll spin the tires when i step on it.

carb jetting is one way to control the fuel mixture, you can also add an extra carb in the right place to make the fuel mixture more even across all cylinders.

One of the biggest issues I've found is that even in a stock 8.5:1 compression in one of these engines dynamic compression with 8psi comes to about 12:1-12.5:1 meaning you have to run 100-105 octane which 90% of gas stations dont carry. The go around for most is E85 which is usually right around 115 or so depending on mixture however since the BTU output isn't anywhere close to standard gasoline you have to run much much richer mixture to get the same power output and fuel economy tends to suffer as such.

The other option is to get a octane booster , and no not those cheap auto parts store rip offs that are basically just a ethonal based additive, but companies like torco, klotz, or VP racing all offer actual octane boosters that do their job but obviously they are much more pricey a 20 dollar 32 oz can treats 20 gallons up at least 10 points bringing a 91 to 101 obviously the higher concentrate to gallon ratio the more points it raises, check out torco's website lots of good info there on fuel in general too

Also with boost you have to worry about boost referencing your fuel input as well as ignition advance, both easily done with electronic pump and aftermarket ignition box and a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator

62, i understand what you are saying, but one thing to remember is that dynamic compression varies depending on what cam is installed, and even what specs are called for. for instance if you tighten up the lobe separation angle from 110 degrees to 106, you actually lower the dynamic compression at lower speeds, as you bleed off pressure from the cylinders.

one has to remember that they are not just throwing parts at an engine and hoping they work. it is a system, and the parts need to be complimentary of each other for the system to work the best.

This is becoming a great thread. I'm subscribed!

I'm wondering if I'm being a nanny...should we continue on a separate thread?
I'd luv to keep the great wrk done on the mag. scan-in

separate

frm where we're going now...
(not loose 1 or tuther)?
Willin 2 go w/any choice taken!

HOwdy All:

Hey Cometman- Thanks for the old Hot Rod Magazine article scans. These should be archived for future reference. I've got those issues around, someplace. That's where I keep important stuff- around, someplace.

Thanks again.

Adios, David

Back