1995 EFI 300 turbo build

n8in8or":12b6s9me said:
To answer your question: the HX40 has a divided T3 flange, even on the larger turbine.
The diesel needs to make high boost at a very low rpm so the turbine housing is smaller than what would be needed for a high rpm gas engine power band.
The smaller housing can choke the gas engine when trying to make high boost at the higher rpm end of the power band.

May I suggest seriously looking at the BW S200SX-E 57mm turbo (S257SX-E) with the T4 .83 A/R twin scroll turbine housing.
It will more likely give you both a good low rpm response and still provide plenty of power at 5000 rpm.

I hate when threads stay stagnant and/or die, so I wanted to post an update. As of right now this project is on hold until fall/winter 2018. I have a couple other projects that need to take precedence over this one, so it is what it is for now.

I do have one update to post though: in researching EFI options for this build I’ve determined that my best path is to run Quarterhorse to control an EEC system. This is primarily driven by the fact that I have an electronic auto transmission. If I didn’t have to control a transmission then I probably would have gone the Megasquirt route, but since that can’t control the trans I didn’t want to have to run 2 separate systems (mostly for cost reasons). My research so far has me 98.7% convinced that a Quarterhorse controlling an EEC for a 302 w/E4OD will run the turbo 300. I will be going this route and I will start a thread dedicated to that when the time comes so the info is fully documented in one place. In preparation for this I went to the local junkyard to see if they happened to have such a truck, since they’re relatively rare. I got lucky and they actually had 2 of them!! So I snagged the complete underhood harnesses, computers and air intakes off of the trucks. The first step will be getting the stock truck to run off the Quarterhorse so I know that I can safely break in the new engine after it’s built, so that’s why I bothered with the stock Mass Air meters. The built turbo engine will need a larger meter for sure.

So hopefully that’s enough of an update for now and as further updates happen, I will be sure to follow up on this.

Since we all like pictures, here are a couple of my score:

A560DCF5-A8F5-4306-869C-01E2646DCB0A.jpegF9929036-DA62-4EAE-A78F-846E8A61863B.jpeg0D95CAE3-4C02-4BAB-BBF9-D8F8BA1DA690.jpeg

Interesting. I have yet to see someone successfully use and modify the stock ecu. Keep us posted on how that goes.

Do you how much power the factory fuel pump is capable of supporting?

Wesman07":kskvc08c said:
Interesting. I have yet to see someone successfully use and modify the stock ecu. Keep us posted on how that goes.

Do you how much power the factory fuel pump is capable of supporting?
Yeah, I'm with you - the information I'm looking for is not "out there"...... but in researching on FTE, eectuning.org and other sites I stumbled on by doing Google searches, I have found enough fragments of the info to give me confidence to move forward. If this proves out, I think it will be helpful information for the 300 community to have, so I'll make sure to put together a dedicated thread so the information is more readily available and usable.

I do not know the stock fuel pump capability off-hand, but I'm guessing it's not too hard to find the volume of fuel that the stock pump is capable of pumping and then that can then be translated into a power number. I'm guessing I will need to do a fuel pump upgrade of some kind....I just don't know how much yet.

Vadis89":2htu76i1 said:
I've been following along with this with every update and I just want to say thanks for all the pictures and write ups. Just figured I'd throw this out there in case it helps with the fuel pump thing.
Quantum 255LPH Fuel Pump Assembly
You’re welcome. I just try to think of threads I enjoy reading and try to include those same features in my threads. And keep them honest and truthful that helps too - it’s not fun to post a mistake if you make one, but mistakes are the best way to learn unfortunately.

Yes, that is a nice find on the pump, thanks for posting. I only use my front tank right now because the rear one leaks at anything over half full so I was just planning on doing a pump in that tank.....however since I use the truck off road some, using only the rear tank could make more sense for ground clearance. Hmmmmm.....thanks for the inspiration! I remember 255lph being a popular size for 5.0 Mustangs, but I don’t recall how much power they were good to. I bet it would do....I’ll just have to verify when the time comes. Thanks for sharing!

n8in8or":3lvo4ukl said:
Vadis89":3lvo4ukl said:
I've been following along with this with every update and I just want to say thanks for all the pictures and write ups. Just figured I'd throw this out there in case it helps with the fuel pump thing.
You’re welcome. I just try to think of threads I enjoy reading and try to include those same features in my threads. And keep them honest and truthful that helps too - it’s not fun to post a mistake if you make one, but mistakes are the best way to learn unfortunately.

Yes, that is a nice find on the pump, thanks for posting. I only use my front tank right now because the rear one leaks at anything over half full so I was just planning on doing a pump in that tank.....however since I use the truck off road some, using only the rear tank could make more sense for ground clearance. Hmmmmm.....thanks for the inspiration! I remember 255lph being a popular size for 5.0 Mustangs, but I don’t recall how much power they were good to. I bet it would do....I’ll just have to verify when the time comes. Thanks for sharing!

Please keep the updates coming! I've got a build thread on the FTE that I update semi regularly even if no one replies between updates, or 5 :rolflmao:
Not sure if the page I linked has it for you as well but at the bottom of the page they also link the front 255 lph pump assembly. I had planned to do both when the time comes. For now I'm swapping everything over from my '96 donor truck including the complete body, so while I've done some support mods for a turbo, turbocharging won't be for awhile yet.

Nice. Thanks for the link. I hear you on not being sure who’s following along. On another forum I’m on, people can “like” the posts (like on Facebook), so at least you can tell if people are following along and you’re on the right track. I’ll just keep posting regardless....at least it’s good info for myself to look back on. 8)

n8in8or":3tpc19se said:
Vadis89":3tpc19se said:

I have been thinking of adding a rear tank to my truck for the sole reason of adding weight to the rear. It’s really hard to get a truck balanced right. The best suspension in the world will ride like crap if 70% of the weight it up front

Wesman07":3rj9dvze said:
I have been thinking of adding a rear tank to my truck for the sole reason of adding weight to the rear. It’s really hard to get a truck balanced right. The best suspension in the world will ride like crap if 70% of the weight it up front

Interesting motovation. I’m reading this comment and looking at your signature and I’m intrigued. What do you use your truck for? It sounds cool.

Wesman07":3atg0xkq said:
To be fair, the Twin I-beam suspension, while robust as hell, is far from the best suspension in the world.

Seen the guys that found out that the Crown Vic front end literally bolts into place on the (I think) 1978-ish trucks? I believe there are a couple guys out there welding them into place in the later model trucks.

Asa":7h9zsl77 said:
Wesman07":7h9zsl77 said:
To be fair, the Twin I-beam suspension, while robust as heck, is far from the best suspension in the world.

Seen the guys that found out that the Crown Vic front end literally bolts into place on the (I think) 1978-ish trucks? I believe there are a couple guys out there welding them into place in the later model trucks.

Don’t get me wrong, that’s not what I was saying.

I have not seen a crown Vic conversion... what type of travel can you get out of it and how do you fit front axels in? Is there another spindle/knuckle combo that fits?

Wesman07":6xigy6iy said:
I have not seen a crown Vic conversion... what type of travel can you get out of it and how do you fit front axels in? Is there another spindle/knuckle combo that fits?
You don't get the front axles in, you use the Crown Vic suspension and everything it has.

Not a lot of travel, no, but it should definitely help the truck ride better.

Back