Assemble questions

64-5mustang

Finally got the parts to finish my build. 200, 9.5 compression cam VI 264 110 direct holly 350 auto trans. I remember reading somewhere that it's recommend to install the cam 4 degree advanced, I know that most cam makers make the cam in 4 advanced but some grind it straight up, do we know what vintage inline grind is it bleave it's on 0 I haven't timed it yet. That's the only thing I have a question about. Any other advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

you need to degree the cam before you decide to advance or retard it. if the cam comes up at straight up when you install it, then you can advance it four degrees to pump up the low end torque.

I think Matt is selling the same Clay Smith cams Classic Inlines sold, they are ground 'straight up', iow yes 0 advance. I don't know why they do that if everyone wants a particular advance, i.e. 4 degrees, on a given cam grind. And it costs the builder to buy a more expensive timing set but I've never talked to the guys at clay smith. I assume they'd say it should be installed straight up, b/c that's the way they grind it. I think Comps are 4 deg. +, the Schneider cam I used was 2 or 3 degrees advanced. It varies. But it should be ideal as designed imo. And advancing or retarding it should be out of specific need or specific design goals of the builder.

"...I think Comps are 4 deg. +..."
yes, mine wuz - but every 1 should degree their cam in...check what U got, assure all events occur as U have designed...
ppl have caught mistakes, become more familiar w/their own motor, become more certain.
(y)

Yeah, if you don't check you don't know what you've got or where your at

all the way down the line

Post 2 4 and 5 ...x4 (y)
Do not play pin the tail on the Donkey... Must be dialed in...You can search " degree wheel" and print it out...Indicator with base is like $24.
Also watch echo's vid's , it will help you with anything that you may have missed.

Break in cam for 20 min. at 2000 rpms and make sure you have a working oil pressure gauge .
While breaking in cam lost oil pressure..got out of car to see what was wrong.. Slipped on 8 quarts of oil, hitting my head on the roll cage..Forgot to hook up the turbo drain. :oops:

x10 on degreeing the cam. My math wasn't working out according to the cam card from Schneider. I did it over and over, tried moving the chain a tooth, nothing worked. Even called Jerry@Schneider and walked through all the numbers with him, he agreed, my cam was indexed improperly. Already had the crank gear that you could adjust timing with, was able to use that to compensate. You never know what you've got unless you degree it.

64-5mustang":17t2reih said:
I not asking if I should degree the cam. But what's is a good place to degree it at based on experience.
IMHO, if you went with a performance cam you should degree it to get the opening and closing times that the manufacturer recommmends on the cam card.

Back