1989 Toyota Land Cruiser LJ73

Omoitsurugi

So I wanted to share my beast the only thing I get to work on while in Spain. She's just as the title says a 1989 Toyota Land Cruiser LJ73, with a 2.4L I4 turbo diesel, Toyota 2L-T Engine designation. She runs well and has little to no power, haha. I will be importing her into the US when I leave Spain in May. After that I can make the modifications I want and not be limited on keeping the little "4 banger," plan is to upgrade to a 6 cyl Toyota diesel engine, if it fits.

Andrew
IMG_20180112_123435.jpg

Is there any difficulty in bringing it back to the states? I once tried to ship a couple of cars in Germany back to US in 1971 was a lot rules about it back then. Good luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":72xrhekt said:
Is there any difficulty in bringing it back to the states? I once tried to ship a couple of cars in Germany back to US in 1971 was a lot rules about it back then. Good luck (y) :nod:

It won't be too difficult with me being military. but there are still a few hoops to jump through. The only state that doesn't like Gray Market cars is Cali, I most likely won't be importing though Cali even if I get stationed there.

-Andrew

:shock: Exactly right Andrew, I lived in California my entire life until end of 2013 except during my service time in Germany. When I was trying to arrange it all there was just not enough time to jump through all those hoops. I was only notified about 30 days before that I would be returning early to the states. Best of luck it looks like it will be a fun little truck to build, Robert. (y) :nod:

bubba22349":1ddtja7g said:
:shock: Exactly right Andrew, I lived in California my entire life until end of 2013 except during my service time in Germany. When I was trying to arrange it all there was just not enough time to jump through all those hoops. I was only notified about 30 days before that I would be returning early to the states. Best of luck it looks like it will be a fun little truck to build, Robert. (y) :nod:

Looking forward to it! Even though I am a CA resident I'm hoping I get stationed somewhere close to the west coast, importing will be easier out of state. Plus if i'm near, it's easier to pick up my mustang from my parents, trailered or driven (most likely trailered).

I'll let you know how the import goes, haha!

- Andrew

rocklord":3ibkcza6 said:
I believe you can import a vehicle over 25 years of age without too many problems.

That is true, although California has a requirement that you have to pass their CARB to do so. So best bet is to get it to pass inspection and registered in another state for about 6 months - a year, then import to Cali.

Luckily i'm going to Illinois next so their inspections aren't as bad.

- Andrew

HA! That's a cool Cruiser - Thought I was over on ih8mud for a second.
I have a 94 FZJ-80 - love it.

- Perry

1966Mustang":2j1301pk said:
HA! That's a cool Cruiser - Thought I was over on ih8mud for a second.
I have a 94 FZJ-80 - love it.

- Perry
I love my cruiser! I'm not a truck guy, so it's a whole new thing for me... Especially with it being diesel.
I'm also on Mud, not as active on there, but really helpful community!

Back