Thermostat,gauge and alternator questions

falcon_master

Hi everyone. I recently ordered a 195° thermostat as they didn't have a 180° in stock and I heard 195 is better than the 160 I originally got for it. What is your guys opinion on this. My second question is about the gauges I purchased there mechanical ones from summit. I don't know if it's a good idea to do mechanical as I've heard they have a chance to break and spray but can I stick the water temp inside the coolant drain plug. My third and final question (bear with me here I know) is how much work is required to install an alternator as I think my generator is dead. Thanks
Everyone

Regarding the thermostat...I was told once that the flow of coolant thru a 195 will be slower than that of a 160 thermostat...which is preferable because you don't want the coolant flowing too quickly thru the radiator otherwise it cannot be cooled down sufficiently. I'm sure others will chime in on this theory ;) Oh, and I run a 195 in mine with a 1/8 hole drilled into the flat part of the thermostat at the 12 o'clock position to help release any air trapped in the radiator.

Thanks for the info. I guess I can do that. I was just thinking that if I could stick it in the coolant drain plug then it would be easier and I could have both the original gauge and new gauge work at the same time.

I ran double temp gauges for a little while, factory gauge to the back of the head, after market to the port on the thermostat housing.

Depends on your thermostat housing. Most new replacements have the port in them.

Yes as of the last time I was up there it was running granted it was running like dog crap but it was running. Carb probably needs a full rebuild when you hit the squirter it bladts gas out the side of the carb onto the hot exhaust (fun). But yes it does run and according to the dummy light I have no charge. Now I need to hook up a voltimeter but ik kinda confused with a generator on all this polarized and transformer and voltage regulator. I heard it's a worthwhile investment to upgrade to an alternator.

falcon_master":2s4b0h6q said:
My third and final question (bear with me here I know) is how much work is required to install an alternator as I think my generator is dead.

There's a schematic for converting the generator to alternator here: https://www.mustangsteve.com/?s=generator. I don't know about the brackets but if they need to be changed you should be able so source the correct alternator brackets from a later model engine.

Back