200, 240 or 250? I can't figure out which engine this is.

bubba22349":qyvc8oz9 said:
FletcherSyntax":qyvc8oz9 said:
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll check tomorrow and finally be able to order the clutch for this thing.

Is a clutch all you need to get it back on the road? If so just get a clutch for a 1970 Econoline with a 240 engine and you will be good to go. Good luck (y) :nod:

Yup, just a clutch for now. The engine runs like shit but I think it's a carb issue. When I step on the gas it bogs, or stalls completely. I've been working on that problem for what feels like ages now.

"...feels like ages now."
make sure the carb/dizzy feedback system is a match. Many do not have the carb/SCV and dizzy/LOM but have one frm post '68 matched up w/1 frm pre '68. (the 250 did come out 1st in '69 after all). More reason to ID things (block #s, carb, rear gear, dizzy, transmish). To me - this is the first step when acquiring an older vehicle - "What do I have here?". U sound like ur on ur way in doing that.

Again, getting "the Handbook" frm Matt at vintage inlines dot com & while waiting 4 delivery a look at the above big blue box w/crossed screw driver/wrench can B a big help not only in IDing but: hop up, specs, swap-ins, money saving tips, etc. In many cases those 2 and this site can B all a fella needs...
8^0
8)

FletcherSyntax":3migko9x said:
bubba22349":3migko9x said:
FletcherSyntax":3migko9x said:
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll check tomorrow and finally be able to order the clutch for this thing.

Is a clutch all you need to get it back on the road? If so just get a clutch for a 1970 Econoline with a 240 engine and you will be good to go. Good luck (y) :nod:

Yup, just a clutch for now. The engine runs like doggie doo but I think it's a carb issue. When I step on the gas it bogs, or stalls completely. I've been working on that problem for what feels like ages now.

With a bogging and stalling situation it could be that accerator pump timing adjustments maybe needed, with the AC removed and choke open do you get a good accelerator pump shot when you open the throttle lever? If not get a new accelerator pump to install in your carb this will probably fix that, any of the better auto parts stores should have them seperate from a carb kit like NAPA ect. Better still you might try a giving the carb a good cleaning inside with some Barrymens carb cleaner and install a fresh carb rebuild kit to get it running as it should. Good luck (y) :nod:

Wait, how are you determining it is a 250 and not a 200? It's more likely that it would be a 200, so the old trans could be used when they did the swap. Did I miss something, does the water pump have 4 bolts?

Bubba, they actually did install 170's in 2nd Gen Econolines. 1970 was the last year it was done.

Econoline":1n7hnjr4 said:
Wait, how are you determining it is a 250 and not a 200? It's more likely that it would be a 200, so the old trans could be used when they did the swap. Did I miss something, does the water pump have 4 bolts?

Bubba, they actually did install 170's in 2nd Gen Econolines. 1970 was the last year it was done.

it has the small block ford bell housing.

Hi Econoline, yes X2 by the posters above pictures (in post #13) looking at the rear of the engine block it has the full SBF V8 bell housing patteren and also a low mount starter. The only Ford six'es that were built like this are the 250 six and both the 240 / 300 big block six'es, plus the quite rare 80's 200's with its parcel 2/3 SBF patteren, in this case don't see those mods being made to adapt it to the SBF V8 patteren. Also looking at that bell housing and the 3.03 behind it, my best guess without seeing the Vin code numbers of his E100's the original engine might of been a 240 Big Six. Good luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":3g4g1voc said:
FletcherSyntax":3g4g1voc said:
bubba22349":3g4g1voc said:

Yup, just a clutch for now. The engine runs like doggie doo but I think it's a carb issue. When I step on the gas it bogs, or stalls completely. I've been working on that problem for what feels like ages now.

With a bogging and stalling situation it could be that accerator pump timing adjustments maybe needed, with the AC removed and choke open do you get a good accelerator pump shot when you open the throttle lever? If not get a new accelerator pump to install in your carb this will probably fix that, any of the better auto parts stores should have them seperate from a carb kit like NAPA ect. Better still you might try a giving the carb a good cleaning inside with some Barrymens carb cleaner and install a fresh carb rebuild kit to get it running as it should. Good luck (y) :nod:

I do get a decent shot of fuel when I hit the gas but I'm more of a motorcycle mechanic so I'm not certain what it's supposed to look like. It's probably not enough though, now that I think about it, cause if I set the choke about half way closed the problem goes away.

Well having good shot is only half of it so you may be right that it's ok. Timing of the shot is the other half without seeing it or which carb you have can't give you much more info. One other thing that can cause stumbling is a bad Distribitor vaccum advance can, so test yours out to see if it holds a vaccum or not. Good luck (y) :nod:

Back