Suggested improvements to 170 Cylinder Head

Reinking":11z1zul5 said:
Got the book in order. Will check with Vintage Inlines for gaskets, thank you. I have seen in a number of posts where people take .060 of the head to acomodiate the difference between to original gasket and the new gasket crush. I am assuming this amount would also slightly increase to compression ratio. If my math is correct, this would increase compression to around 9.2 to1. Is it worth/advisable to go more? Sorry, I’m sure it’s in the book but I ave never been good at waiting. :D

What grade of fuel you plan on running plus the locale weather condistions, altitude, and if you zero deck the block, will determine what the max compression ratio you can safely run.

Some other things you might consider depending on your goals for the car, are opening up the logs intake carb opening to 1 3/4 inch so you can run other later model carb's, maybe some hard valve seats to deal with the unleaded fuels we have today. And lastly opening up the valve bowls and some porting work if your plan for the car leads to a more performance build. Good luck on the 63 convertible looks like a good car to start with. (y) :nod:

Back