Ticking From Bellhousing area

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

I just had a clutch job done at a shop and im starting to get a ticking noise from the bell area. It gets louder as the engine revs higher. And its kinda intermittent.

Also the TO bearing rattles a little on hills, is that normal?

This has a 3 finger and is a 200 with 3.03

Howdy Star:

IIWIYS I'd head it right back to the shop that you paid for quality work. Neither should be making any noise at all. That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Adios, David

X2 for sure! :unsure: What did you ever do about the early engine block to 3.03 bell housing mismatch? Good luck :nod:

Thats what i figured too. Ill take it right back Tuesday.

So with the mismatch..... yeah about that. So my father insisted on me taking it to a shop and have them look at it before go drop a new engine in it. Well the shop believed that there shouldnt be an issue since the plate is bolted down at 4 spots and that this did work fine before. So we proceeded. In that time i lost the 67 200 i was looking at on craigslist and so i kinda had to roll with it. Now after $921 im gonna make sure they make it work now, b/c otherwise im screwed.

$921 for what? What did they actually do?

glad U posted the price, where R U located?
Big city close by = hi price (should B 200 - 500 $).
Call Better Biz Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, Att General (Consumer Protection Bureau)...

If you are still using the thin OEM spacer plate as a makeshift adapter, you will always have problems with noises, vibrations, abnormal parts wear and eventual parts breakage. I predict that within 1K miles that 1/8" plate develops metal fatigue and cracks- I'm seriously concerned for you driving it around like that but you seem determined so best of luck.

mustang6":yq5or1ae said:
If you are still using the thin OEM spacer plate as a makeshift adapter, you will always have problems with noises, vibrations, abnormal parts wear and eventual parts breakage. I predict that within 1K miles that 1/8" plate develops metal fatigue and cracks- I'm seriously concerned for you driving it around like that but you seem determined so best of luck.
I really dont want to drive it like that, but my dad screwed me into thinking it was perfectly fine.
On a side note though, i did drive it for 8k miles and the plate still has no issues. Im not saying its right, im just saying.
When i bring it back to them on tuesday ill have a conversation with them about having a plate made. I have a 2spd auto that will bolt up to it, so maybe they can use that as a reference for the small hole setup.

You might want to pull the starter & see if the flywheel or ring gear is not hitting the starter nose.

Bolting back together the parts that are mismatched and failing WILL fail again.

Do you really believe this shop you took it to has any idea what they are talking about? 99% chance no one in that shop has ever done any work on or have any experience with inline sixes.

or did they just tell you what you want to hear?

It's still wrong. Having driven it 8k like that is in no way any type of longevity.

Adapter plate is still the wrong answer, and if they were willing to make an adapter, that's isn't going to be covered by that $921 dollars you just threw away. Add a couple thousand to that.

Keep looking for a motor.

$921 for what? To again bolt together the wrong parts? The way to make it right is to actually get the correct and compatible parts.

That motor certainly wasn't $921, you could have put it together yourself and been driving for a few weeks by now.

Ask that shop about the bell housing see-sawing up and down across the only 2 bolts that are thru the bell and into the block. The spacer plate is in no way strong enough to hold the bell and trans rigid to the block.

It's wrong, doesn't work, and still isn't going to work for any amount of time.

Honestly, do you think they did anything other than bolt it together the exact same way you have 8-10 times?

Are you now going to blame this shop for it not working, knowing it is parts that don't go together? Even after multiple people have given you advice and information about transmissions, clutches, and blocks.

1000% sure the collective knowledge and experience of the people on this forum far surpasses that shop.

Again you are posting the exact same issues. :banghead:

The answer to every issue, noise, grind, bang, clang, tick, and shudder coming out of your setup is YOU CAN'T PUT A 9" CLUTCH ON A 8-1/2" BLOCK..............................

Back