Fuel pump

tdlund

Would the manual fuel pump on these engines ever produce intermittent problems or would they just not work all together?

You need to post your issues that you are having ! I have had issues in the past with my 65 Comet that threw a lifetime mechanic into a tie-wrait! He did everything he could to fix it Except change the fuel pump . He told me to take my car elsewhere ! I posted my issues with the car and five people on this site all made the right diagnosis!

's a good point:
state the prob U have (w/o diagnosis) for optimal answ.

Answ" "Yes, Anything's possible". :rolflmao: Sorry...

a fuel volume issue? - needle'n seat clog?

Otherwise we'll tell ya how an arm is actuated by the cam lobe, how to put a bucket under'n watch the fuel rate flow, yetah, yetah...
Keep talkin, we're here
(y)

Howdy Tdlund:

Yes, a Mechanical fuel pump can give intermittent trouble. First step is to replace the fuel pump. IF that doesn't end the symptoms the next step is to assess the condition of the eccentric lobe on the cam. Occasionally the fuel pump lobe goes flat. in that case an electric fuel pump is the solution.

I hope that helps you. Let us know what you find.

Adios, David

Pull your oil dipstick & smell the oil on the dipstick for a gas smell. If the diaphram leaks it will leak gas into the crankcase.
Also check the vent orifice on the pump body for fuel leaking.
As David said check the eccentric on the camshaft.
If in doubt replace the pump, cheap insurance.
Carter makes the best mechanical pump.

Okay here’s my symptoms

While driving down the road the engine dies. If I let off the gas pedal it will idle fine. If I stay on the gas it surges with big gaps between each surge. It goes away by the time I can stop and see if there’s fuel in the fuel filter.

I have checked the float level and it looks good. I’m 99% sure it starves for fuel because my afr gauge goes so lean that it stops reading.

I have done some simple tests by giving it full throttle for as long as I feel comfortable and it doesn’t die. So I feel like it’s not carb issue.

What do you guys think?

I’m thinking fuel pump or vapor lock

Yes it definitely sounds like a fuel volume issue! For sure those could be causes but it also can be as simple as a plugged up fuel filter. Good luck (y) :nod:

U can ck the fuel system but
'...I stay on the gas it surges with big gaps between..."
I think it's "ele".

The oil does seem to have a bit of a gas smell to it. Should I go ahead and get a new pump and see what happens or is there some electrical diagnosis I can do first?

When I say there’s big gaps between surges, I mean, when I stay on the gas while it’s dying, it acts like it gets a little fuel and then dies for a little then acts like it gets a little fuel again. This goes on for a 30 too 45 seconds.

I had this problem with my Mercury Comet . It would start fine , idle fine , but once warmed up and driving it would shut off and coast and come on again and again and again and .. die . And I would pull over , let it cool down and take it home . The Mechanic was sure it was vapor lock and said the fuel pump was not the problem . But he was wrong .. it was ! After lots of my money he said take it else where . My Comet had the Canister Filter on top and the diaphragm was bad .

For what it is worth I battled a similar issue a couple of years ago and corrected it with a fuel pump. X2 on making sure you change the oil if it smells like fuel.

An electric pump would require a pressure regulator and return line.
And overkill for an engine that needs about 3-5lbs of pressure.

just thinkin the mechanical is much safer

I prefer electric, quicker starts...Also I like living on the edge. ;)
We had a thread about this a while back.

Back