Just finished taking head off 170 and, surprise extra parts

Reinking

Just took the head off the 170 in my 1963 Falcon which went near textbook. While my son and I were admiring our work I noticed something odd in the cavity between cylendars 2 and 3 (counting from the front), 3 small pieces (see pictures). What do they go to? Engine appears to have hydrolic lifters whic appear intact, haven't removed them yet to verify.

Thanks for the help

Well looks like one of your Hydrolic lifters has come apart! :nod:

Thanks, that is what I thought. From visually inspecting the lifters while in place they seem intact with retaining springs. What is the best way to remove them for inspection? How about cleaning them before reinstalls?

Also the pushrod for the Lat valve before the firewall is a larger diameter than the rest, is this normal?

Thank you

One of the better ways to remove the lifters is with a Hydrolic lifter removal tool, see below link for an example of what they look like. Well normally the push rods should all match, but if one got damaged in the past and was replaced that would explain the difference. Is it ideal for a performance build no, better is that they all are same size diameter and weight matched (lighter is better) for a stock street type driver it is ok. Make sure you locate the retainer clip for that Hydrolic lifter. Also keep each in the order they are removed if it's your intention to re use them. In that case they would all need to go back in the same hole so they are on their same cam lobe. Good luck (y) :nod:

Lifter removal tool

https://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performance ... B078WHFBTC

Howdy Reinking:

The piece on the left appears to be a valve stem oil seal. Where did you find it? Is it made of rubber like material? Do the rest of the valve stem seals appear to be in place. It is not unusual to find pieces of valve stem seals in the top of the head and even in the lifter galley. Peek between the springs to see where the valve stem seals are supposed to be.

Keep it coming

Adios, David

From looking at the lifters from the top I can see all of the retaining clips which is why i am puzzled. The cup on each lifter also appears to be intact. The piece that looks like a valve seal is metal, not rubber. It was found with the other pieces in the larger lifter galley toward the front of the engine.

Engine doesn’t appear to have been apart before unless it was early in its life. Thin metal head gadget, old cork rocker cover gasket. Actuall didn’t expect to find hydrolic lifters with adjustable rocker arms.

Hi, if all the lifters are ok I might think that those old pieces where left in there when the odd ball pushrod was installed. Good luck

X2 Since the engine has the one odd ball push rod and the extra lifter parts more than likely in the engines past, a lifter failed and took out that one push rod too. Also it was quite common for Ford to use the adjustable rocker assembly’s along with hydraulic lifters on those early engines like a late 1962 into 1963

post casting codes for more info
Eventho U found that headG. I bet some 1 has been in there.

Seems they didn't bolt the exh mani on tight, ran it a good while, & that's Y the
need for a mill pass there'n straighter exhaust too? (post pic if possible)

No indications frm what you've posted but I begin to wonder bout the bottom end too...

Casting codes

Block C3DE-6015-E
Head C3DE-6090-D X8
Exhaust C3DE-9430-A

Oil pan is real rough so I was planning on replacing so I will get a look at the lower end. Oil I took out was black. Checked again tonight and all lifters appear to be intact. Hope to remove them tomorrow for inspection and cleaning. Also going to disassemble the rocker assembly and clean. All adjusting bolts look good, nice and round.

"...disassemble the rocker assembly and clean..."
round here the shop duz dat when redoing the head. They soak, clean, etc. They also machine'n assemble head 2 ur specs.
If U doit use long gun brush inside rocker shaft to assure oil path. Pick, compressed air, penetratin fluid in lill holes of rockerss, everywhere. Make sure to replace (use a system of assurance) them in order of removal. Ck all components for wear.

Back