1965 Ford 200 engine rebuilt but if line terribly rough

Simonsalz

So I'm new to this site, so I apologize for any mistakes I make, but I have a ford 200 online six (in my 1965 mustang with a 3 speed) and it was missing and running rough so I decided I'd rebuild it. I've taken so much time measuring clearances all the way to cleaning and prepping the block. Long story short I've replaced EVERYTHING besides the rods(checked and all by machine shop, block (bored .30 over and checked), and the head (valve job and checked for cracks). I still have a very rough idle and like its missing but all the wires are showing no evidence of a miss (I've tested for it) and I'm not sure what to do because I've dumped a lot of money into rebuilding this engine with no luck, just for it to run the same way as it did before I rebuilt it

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated

Well when in doubt i like to go back to the basics, 3 things make an engine run and run properly compression, fuel, and spark. If you dont have one of thoese or 2 of those working properly the engine may not run the best. You likely have great compression from the rebuild (but always worth double checking), what we havent heard is what kind of carb and what kind of ignition set up you have. If it is missing and its a consistent miss you can start pulling spark plug wires, one at a time and replace, and see which on causes the least or no RPM drop to identify the culprit cylinder and then hone in on any ignition issues. If pulling spark plug wires has no effect that seems noticeable or if they all equally drop RPM then you likely have fueling issues in which case a good rebuild or at least removal and clean of the carb sounds in order. Also check timing, im sure youve already timed it correctly and i would assume you replaced the old harmonic balancer with a new unit but if you didnt they can slip and give you a false reading for timing. If none of those test come up with something its likely to be some sort of internal imbalance or a camshaft not degreed correctly. Could also be motor mounts that are worn,causing the vibration of the engine to feel excessive, but once again im assuming youve replaced those. Good luck with your searches let us know what you find :beer:

X3, From your description it sounds like your dealing with a carb issue. You didn’t mention if you just reused the old distributor and carb as they were, but that’s my best guess that the carb was the likely cause of the original problem. Check the carbs throttle shaft for excess wear / slop X 2 on other possible sources of vacuum leaks Good luck (y) :nod:

I’m sorry I haven’t responded! I completely forgot about site and just remembered it! But it turned out to have a bad carb! Now it runs good but now I’m dealimg with a pesky oil leak!

frozenrabbit":1j05lypf said:
Did you just jump into a rebuild without trouble shooting the carb and ignition systems?

I went through the carb rebuilt it twice making sure it all looked good and the all the ignition system parts were new!
But I’m glad I rebuilt it the engine was shot anyways!

SCV / LOM mismatch? It is a '65...

Back