Will a V8 C4 for a 65 or 66'' 200?

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

I picked up a V8 C4 ag the auto wreckers today. Its dirty so i cant find the casting number but it has a low mount starter bell, so im guessing it should be a 289 C4. My hope is to put a 200 bell on it and a torque converter and slap it on my original 200 that came with the car (for all that know my clutch/tranny struggle) . Then in the future possibly put it back in.

But will a l6 bell fit on the C4 and how hard is a matching torque converter to get for it?

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I thought you finally fixed your clutch/tranny problems when you got the "new" 67 motor, no? I think you could find a 200 bell and use it on your C-4 but the torque converter is unique to the 170/200, it has the starter teeth right on the converter and uses a small metal "cross" flexplate to connect to the crank. Add to this- cooling lines, cooling radiator, shift linkage and shifter, driveline changes, downshift linkage, pedal changes (you can let the clutch pedal hang though), etc, and you have lot of work for a transmission that is more complex than what you have and may need internal work.

Were you worried about your noisy 3 speed trans? Is it getting worse? I assume you replaced that arcing starter. :)

mustang6":f2a2klpu said:
Hi Ryan,

I thought you finally fixed your clutch/tranny problems when you got the "new" 67 motor, no? I think you could find a 200 bell and use it on your C-4 but the torque converter is unique to the 170/200, it has the starter teeth right on the converter and uses a small metal "cross" flexplate to connect to the crank. Add to this- cooling lines, cooling radiator, shift linkage and shifter, driveline changes, downshift linkage, pedal changes (you can let the clutch pedal hang though), etc, and you have lot of work for a transmission that is more complex than what you have and may need internal work.

Were you worried about your noisy 3 speed trans? Is it getting worse? I assume you replaced that arcing starter. :)
Oh no i have no issues with my current setup now. My arcing starter is fixed (i had to get a new one). I was hoping to find a way in the future to ever put my 65' back in the car as its the original engine.

Also, i thought I'd start putting together what i need for the C4 just as a backup setup (and/or the only way the original 65' is getting back in the car) . I currently have a 2.8 rear gear in my 8" and it is hard on my clutch. I feel it on hills and starts, and i live in western WA where hills are plenty. I kinda want to put a T5 in it, but that wouldn't happen for a very long time. I know what all is involved with the swap to an auto, so i know it ain't super easy and cheap.

I just thought it'd be a good idea to start collecting all the necessary parts for the auto conversion for when my clutch dumps again. since i cant do cuts and welds and all thats why im not set on the T5 yet.

Whats your opinion? I know the C4 is a bada** automatic, which is why i didnt turn it down for $100 at the auto wreckers. It needs a rebuild, 200 torque converter, and bell, for it to be complete. I just figured this would be a good backup to go to if/when my clutch takes a dump. I do a lot of around town driving with some highway travel, thats why i figured this makes sense

StarDiero75":16la2gzv said:
Howdy guys,

I picked up a V8 C4 ag the auto wreckers today. Its dirty so i cant find the casting number but it has a low mount starter bell, so im guessing it should be a 289 C4. My hope is to put a 200 bell on it and a torque converter and slap it on my original 200 that came with the car (for all that know my clutch/tranny struggle) . Then in the future possibly put it back in.

But will a l6 bell fit on the C4 and how hard is a matching torque converter to get for it?

Thanks,
Ryan

mustang6":tcb8o0ji said:
Hi Ryan,

scott is right, but the ring gear is available, and i believe the torque converter is also available. you just have to mate the two, which requires a little welding. also the flexplate is available.

where are you located, i may be able to help you out with your manual to automatic conversion if you are close enough. let me know.

A 67 C-4 has the improved valve body, if it is out of that or later year.
Also There are 24 & 26 spline input shafts. You have to make sure your converter matches the spline count.

rbohm":3irq516g said:
mustang6":3irq516g said:
Hi Ryan,

scott is right, but the ring gear is available, and i believe the torque converter is also available. you just have to mate the two, which requires a little welding. also the flexplate is available.

where are you located, i may be able to help you out with your manual to automatic conversion if you are close enough. let me know.
Im in the Seattle area.
Im not that far into it. All i have is the C4 at the moment. I still need the bell, converter, and flexplate before i could even bolt it to the engine. Then i need the tranny mount bracket, etc. Im not in a hurry. I just wanted to make sure the V8 one fit our 6 cylinder.
The benedit of using the V8 one is better clutch packs right? Better durability?

wsa111":1vcu46ji said:
A 67 C-4 has the improved valve body, if it is out of that or later year.
Also There are 24 & 26 spline input shafts. You have to make sure your converter matches the spline count.
I think mine is either a 66 or 67. I checked yesterday but it was such a long day.

Before 70 is the 24 spline and after is 26 right?

the reason i asked is because i have a complete six cylinder C4 trans, including the torque converter complete with ring gear, and trans cross member. i may still use it, but it will be a while before i will get to it. if you were closer you could have picked it up.

rbohm":2021n8g9 said:
the reason i asked is because i have a complete six cylinder C4 trans, including the torque converter complete with ring gear, and trans cross member. i may still use it, but it will be a while before i will get to it. if you were closer you could have picked it up.
Where are you? I like road trips lol

StarDiero75":3lsj61np said:
rbohm":3lsj61np said:

right where it says location under my name, tucson, az.

rbohm":3r8riyp5 said:
StarDiero75":3r8riyp5 said:
rbohm":3r8riyp5 said:

right where it says location under my name, tucson, az.
Thats a good road trip. Schucks thats too bad. Thanks anyhow man

a day down, a day back!

OK, it takes more'n a day to drive a 24 hr trip, sorry.
(As a 'kid' we took 3 days to run Boston to San Fran. 6 or 8 times.)

chad":66d7epr3 said:
OK, it takes more'n a day to drive a 24 hr trip, sorry.
(As a 'kid' we took 3 days to run Boston to San Fran. 6 or 8 times.)
Thats wild man! Was it with a 200?

170 but - 'slant 6' (2 different Dart wagons, '64'n a '66).
Swap sleepin in the back w/drivin (2 male 19/22 y/o hipeyes).

Back