Cam timing issue

Hi, on Friday my Vintage Inlines index timing chain set arrived. So Saturday evening it was time to get to work.
My first try I go for 8* retarded. My numbers were better. I got 58 + 147 = 205 / 2 = 102.5
only 3.5* off. So I figure I'll double check TDC, and get it as close as possible. I moved the pointer a tiny bit and spun the crank again and got 64 + 153 = 217 / 2 = 108.5. Great.
So I figured I 'll measure lift, and I reset the dial indicator and I measure .286 lift. .286 x 1.5 = .429. Specs are .283, with .425 lift.
To end the night I rechecked the degree wheel so I reset the dial indicator and got the same numbers.
64 + 153 = 217 / 2 = 108.5* That is my intake centerline.
Many thanks to pmuller9 for helping me learn how to do this. I know you help a lot of guys here. Thank you for your time.
I figured I would need the index gear set, but I needed to learn about what was going on, and get use to measuring it.

Glad to help.

Next time you see someone here or anywhere else installing a cam without checking the cam timing, you can tell them what you think about it! LOL

If you want 106 L/C go with 6" retarded. Then check your #'s again.

Hi, my second try was at 6* R. After getting 102.5, at 8* R I tried 6* R and got 57 + 148 = 203 /2 = 101.5.
Next time I get to it I'll be as careful as possible and make a piston stop out of my steering wheel puller and work on getting the pointer as perfect as possible.
I was planning to check it again and focus on 6* R and 8* R and be as accurate as possible.
I have to admit I was pretty happy to see the centerline at 108.5* and had to clean up before the mosquitoes come out.
Good luck

Just a reminder, cam spacer behind cam pin with inside bevel toward cam journal then cam retainer and then the sprocket...I have to loc tite the cam bolt , you may not need to...Make sure to check that the oil galley plug is in place behind the cam sprocket.
I hate math , double check your Center line method with the .050'' method.
One more thing if the rods have oil spurt holes they go away from the cam toward the passenger side.

drag-200stang":1kdc5pqa said:
I hate math , double check your Center line method with the .050'' method.

Yes, and be sure to check the exhaust valve timing also

The .050" specs that are used to degree the cam using the .050" method is the following:
Intake opens at 3 degrees After TDC and closes 29 degrees after BDC.
Exhaust opens 37 degrees before BDC and closes 11 degrees before TDC.

Zero the dial indicator with the intake lifter all the way down.
Turn the crank clockwise at least 2 turns and re-zero the indicator.
Turn the crank clockwise until the lifter begins to rise and stop when the dial indicator reads .050". The degree wheel should be at 3 degrees ATDC.
Continue turning the crank clockwise. The lifter will go over the nose of the cam lobe and begin to return to the bottom.
When it gets .050" from the bottom the degree wheel should read 29 degrees ABDC.

Repeat this procedure for the exhaust lobe.
The lifter should be up .050" at 37 degrees BBDC and return .050" from the bottom at 11 degrees BTDC

Hi, so I had the time to go over my cam timing again.
This time I made a piston stop from a steering wheel puller.
Last time out I learned that very close to TDC is not TDC.
In case you never tried it, the piston "dwells" at TDC for probably 8 crankshaft degrees, while the crank pin swings from going up to going down, and the piston stops going up and starts going down.
Keeping the sprocket on 8* R.
So after carefully setting TDC here is what I got. 61 + 150 = 211 / 2 = 105.5.
Well thats how it turned out, and if I didn't check it with a dial indicator and degree wheel, I would never know how far off it was. And if I didn't get the help I needed from the guys on Fordsix.com I'm sure I would still be struggling with it.
Thank you guys and
Good luck

You are now downtown for some more power.
Button it up & get that beast breathing air. Bill

Hi, drag200stang. It is a good quality set. The chain fits just right. Get one. Good luck

B RON CO":1sv0ubpo said:
Hi, drag200stang. It is a good quality set. The chain fits just right. Get one. Good luck
Thank's
The old oem one I ran is still tight but it would be nice to have easier cam timing adjustment.

"...A 7 or 9 keyway crank gear gives you 2 degrees between adjustments...."
all the difference 4 me as a beginner. A "healthy" piston stop at real TDC was also a biggie.
Thnx 2 ALL for sharin!
(y)

Back