A few new questions about 63 Falcon vert engine rebuild

Reinking

Haven't posted for a while but I am making progress on my 63 falcon convertable. Head is done, carb rebuilt and getting ready to install on the block but have a couple of questions. First, the performance handbook says to chase the head bolt holes with a 7/16 course bottoming tap. I have a 7/16 X 14, is this course or is it a specific thread count and pitch. Second, was planning on cleaning up the rocker assembly myself but as I have I noticed there was some gauling under the rocker arms, probably from lack of oil ( it was really cruddy) can I clean this up myself or just take it to the machine shop. They mentioned they were equipped to resurface the rocker assembly if necessary.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reinking":1j8wdpo5 said:
Thanks, then I have the correct tap.
in'n out a few turns, dust it off, more cuttin fluid & repeat 3 - 5 times, not just a screw in like a bolt.

"...of the rocker shaft..."
if U have a long gun brush that's ideal for the inside of the shaft (it's an oil passage the whole length).

Thanks Chad. Is I here a video on disassembly out there? Appears to be fairly straight forward but I am sure I am missing something. Looks like remove the pin, pull the clip and slide off rockers and towers. What kind of tolerances are we looking at on the shaft? As I think was mentioned in a previous post at some time in it past it appears to have had a lifter go bad and bent a rod, all were replaced. Looks like the rocker on #6 exhaust was damaged causing scoring on the rocker shaft that needs to be dealt with.

Thanks

Reinking":2eluleqr said:
... Is there a video on disassembly out there?...What kind of tolerances are we looking at on the shaft?...damaged causing scoring on the rocker shaft that needs to be dealt with...
As U have found out - disassembly is the easy prt. (a vid may not B needed. 1 for re-assembly is useful. C cites elsewhere here inc "echo"). I laid all out so as to replace exactly 'as was' on reassembly. I numbered w/a paint pen so as not 2B removed as cleaned/inspected.
Not sure on tolerance. I had some damage'n simply removed scoring w/emery paper by hand (didn't wanna take off too much). The rockers'n stands slid on slightly easier than @ removal but were still tight. Easiest/best bet is a new shaft, I'm a lill more abt expedience as I have so lill time avail., less abt extra cost (availability wuz a lill hard too as I remember).
But this is all just me. Lets C what the experts have 2 say.
Good Luck, keep talkin

trolled fleebay'n spotted some
hit'n miss, spotty...
like said - emery cloth's been my RS 'rebuild buddy'...
U might C sompin U like, not sure.

Thnx 2 Seth a source
~ 23 $ w/o shipping

Howdy Back:

Q- "can I clean this up myself or just take it to the machine shop?"

A- Having been down this road a few times already, I'd pay. I disassembled and cleaned several shafts. It is a very, VERY dirty job! I used lots of solvent, Gunk remover and a shotgun barrel wire brush for the inner shaft. And then, due to a lack of time I took a dirty, core head to my machine shop to disassemble, clean and inspect for a valve job. I happened to drop in as he was disassembling the rocker assembly. Once disassembled he threw all parts into a hot bath cooker. The cooker heated and showered the parts with hot, cleaning fluid. Very Hot! In about 30 minuted in the tank and cooling time, all rockers were inspected and the oil holes flushed, the shaft was cored. It still had gunk coming out. He cleaned and flushed it several more times. In all, beginning disassembly to ready for reassembly it took about 2 hrs. When I picked it up I asked what that cleaning added to my bill. His answer, "$25!" I will never do another rocker arm assembly cleaning.

I'd strongly recommend checking with your machine shop to see what they would charge you. I say this even though I am a confirmed "Do it Yourself" person. I suppose that it is a good experience to have at least once. For comparison, it took me several hours just to clean up after. My wife is still cussing me for the mess and the laundry.

Your choice. Keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, David

Good to know. I thought I was just inept and forgot how to clean grease and oil off stuff. The damage to the #6 cylinder end looks like it will take a little file work before the emery paper so I think I am leaning toward a new shaft. The shop fee will be about $50 and with gas and time, about 30 min away, I think a new shaft is the way to go since the head and carb at basically new I might as well start fresh on the top side.

Back