Scary thing happened yesterday.

Econoline

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2019
Supporter 2018
I was tinkering with the van yesterday, tuning the carb b/c I had adjusted the timing the day before. I started the van up and was adjusting the carb and checking the vacuum when I noticed a strong raw fuel smell. I began to investigate and found fuel was seeping out of the stock fuel filter at the carb! It was seeping/bubbling out of the seam where the body of the filter is attached to the end that has the wrench flats and threads into the carb body and was running down along the bottom of the filter then hose and dripping onto the intake. I will be replacing this filter with an 1/8" mpt x 5/16 barb fitting and using an inline metal filter b/c I will NEVER be able to trust one of these type of filters again. The filter was a WIX brand, stamped Mexico. Thank God I was tinkering with it and noticed the leak, could have been a real disaster! Warning to anyone running one of these stock style filters at the carb inlet. That filter had been on there leak free since I swapped carbs at least 1000 miles ago or more.

hummm, pretty standard piece.

I bet (as U might) most of us gottem.

Thanks for the heads up.
Will hafta ck'n C my own...

:unsure: That is one reason why I won`t use those filters.The other is that they won`t stay tight in the carb.Had to re tighten them every two days or less..This is not a recent development either.I first experienced this problem about 10 years ago,and since then I won`t use them.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

i have never had a problem with one of those filters, except when one broke on me when i was tightening it up to spec. never had any leaks though, but i have had flow problems with those filters though, and they never seem to last very long either.

Back