67 mustang - 300 head vs 200 head

A 300 / 4.9 big block six cyLinder head won't fit on a 200 / 3.3 engine or any of the other small block six engines. Good luck on your project build (y) :nod:

bubba22349":nqtazona said:
A 300 / 4.9 big block six cyLinder head won't fit on a 200 / 3.3 engine or any of the other small block six engines. Good luck on your project build (y) :nod:

What are my options :(? Is
There any head that would fit as an upgrade

"The Ford...6 Cyl Performance Handbook" frm Matt at vintage inlines dot com (20 $ ?) sounds like a resource U could really use. While waiting 4 delivery ck the above tech archive (@ big blue bx w/crossed screwdriver/wrench). All ur Qs should B answ there.
After gettin up to speed U will have more specific info on the end product U seek.
At that point we can really aid U in the particulars.
ID all ur components 1st (again the Handbook helps) so U know where U R @ now. If U have been drivin the vehicle awhile U can get an idea of where U wanna go frm here (80% of ur use conditions).

Kinda like a house. When U 1st buy/move in it's better to "live it" awhile insteada just tearin out the kitchen'n throwin in a new 1. Over the period U research what's out there, C how usable the kitchen (& whole house) is, take time to redesign a useful to you one, save money, etc. Hope that's not too patronizing. I just see alot of vehicles ruined around here when a knowledgable, thoughtful approach is not used. Money'n time waisted & worse (as I have alot of care/enjoyment of these rigs) the vehicles themselves.

"...will soon added forced induction."
We have a forum on this site 4 that.

Check out the vintage inlines highest performance available aluminum head. It is totally awesome.

Howdy The Stang and all:

If you are going to forced induction why are you considering changing heads. Forced induction will take care of flow issues. What is your engines current condition? Year? Miles? Transmission?

FYI a 1980 200/250 cylinder head will offer you all the best that FoMoCo has to offer. The 200 head you posted seems expensive to me.

Where are you located?

Adios, David

CZLN6":djfkd4d8 said:
Howdy The Stang and all:

If you are going to forced induction why are you considering changing heads. Forced induction will take care of flow issues. What is your engines current condition? Year? Miles? Transmission?

FYI a 1980 200/250 cylinder head will offer you all the best that FoMoCo has to offer. The 200 head you posted seems expensive to me.

Where are you located?

Adios, David

All original 67 mustang. The headgasket is like melted but doesnt leak yet so i wasthinking about replacing it.

I live in Nj

Howdy Back:

Nope. The 240 and 300 six cylinder engines are a different engine. The 240 was used in full size Ford cars and the 300 was used in pickups and vans. These engines are physically larger and heavier the the small six engines which includes 144, 170, 200 and 250 engines. About the only item that is interchangeable is the one barrel carburetors.

Adios, David

CZLN6":2wnzk6hq said:
Howdy Back:

Nope. The 240 and 300 six cylinder engines are a different engine. The 240 was used in full size Ford cars and the 300 was used in pickups and vans. These engines are physically larger and heavier the the small six engines which includes 144, 170, 200 and 250 engines. About the only item that is interchangeable is the one barrel carburetors.

Adios, David

Okay so what donor car could i look for that would have a 250ci cylinder head?

Looks like it's a typo "240 head" in your above post by the pictures it shows a 1969 to 74 "250" head yes its probably a little better head than you have now. Though if your going to buy a head and change it out then why get the one that "CZLN6" recommended to you? In a stock replacement cyclinder head for your 200 it is the best stock Ford head you will be able to find. https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/2F66/10002/-1

Also Remember in your head search theat the later model 200 and 250 heads are both identical. Good luck (y) :nod:

Post #4 by chad » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Gotta start @ the beginning:
"The Ford...6 Cyl Performance Handbook" frm Matt at vintage inlines dot com (20 $ ?) sounds like a resource U could really use. While waiting 4 delivery ck the above tech archive (@ big blue bx w/crossed screwdriver/wrench). All ur Qs should B answ there.
After gettin up to speed U will have more specific info on the end product U seek. UR Qs will B more specific/informed. We can B more of a resource 2 U. There R no short cuts to quality results.

Ford goes by 'families' not small block / big block like chebby.
The i6 family (1960 - '96) is bifurcated into 144, 170, 200, 250 as the small 6; and the big six 240 and 300.

bubba22349":32z5jyu3 said:
Looks like it's a typo "240 head" in your above post by the pictures it shows a 1969 to 74 "250" head yes its probably a little better head than you have now. Though if your going to buy a head and change it out then why get the one that "CZLN6" recommended to you? In a stock replacement cyclinder head for your 200 it is the best stock Ford head you will be able to find. https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/2F66/10002/-1

Also Remember in your head search theat the later model 200 and 250 heads are both identical. Good luck (y) :nod:

So you like the

https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/2F66/10002/-1

Vs the 250ci?

The 80-84 200 head that bubba linked to at Jeggs is the best head to have, even over the 250 head. The 200 head has the largest intake log volume, largest stock valves, and hardened valve seats. It has the largest chamber volume, so if you are planning forced induction, so much the better.

I also recommend the Performance Handbook.

rocklord":31snpcx9 said:
The 80-84 200 head that bubba linked to at Jeggs is the best head to have, even over the 250 head. The 200 head has the largest intake log volume, largest stock valves, and hardened valve seats. It has the largest chamber volume, so if you are planning forced induction, so much the better.

I also recommend the Performance Handbook.

Would that be a direct bolt on? Or drop in with no mods?

Yes and No.

Yes, the 80-84 200 head will bolt directly on your 67 engine, the 250 head will also.

The No side of the equation is the size of combustion chamber of both the 200 and 250 heads.

The original head on your 67 had a combustion chamber size around 53cc. Both the 250 head and later 200 heads had 62cc combustion chambers. Ford was able to keep the compression ratios (CR) high by varying the recess in the piston.

The chamber volume of any head you purchase will depend on how much has been milled off the mating surface. When you purchase another head, you will have to CC the combustion chamber to determine if it needs remilled, or if the pistons in your engine need smaller recesses.

rocklord":25oxt783 said:
Yes and No.

Yes, the 80-84 200 head will bolt directly on your 67 engine, the 250 head will also.

The No side of the equation is the size of combustion chamber of both the 200 and 250 heads.

The original head on your 67 had a combustion chamber size around 53cc. Both the 250 head and later 200 heads had 62cc combustion chambers. Ford was able to keep the compression ratios (CR) high by varying the recess in the piston.

The chamber volume of any head you purchase will depend on how much has been milled off the mating surface. When you purchase another head, you will have to CC the combustion chamber to determine if it needs remilled, or if the pistons in your engine need smaller recesses.

What if i wanted low compression ratios damn. I need start studying. So id have to take the whole engine out?

Back