Oil Pressure

So i did my grind today and the noise stayed. I readjusted the rockers and it goes away (fan belt off). Put valve cover back on and put fan belt on, noise comes back. I disconnect PCV and hook up vacuum gauge and it fades away. I reconnect PCV and it stays gone. I start it later and it there but very faint. After parking it for awhile elsewhere its back and as loud as before.

I dont believe the PCV has any thing to do with it, just coincidence. But its coming from the front of ththe engine like either #1 rocker or maybe water pump/alternator area. When i park kinda downhill the noise fades away to almost cant hear it, and of course i park on a hill at my house.

When i go to school tomorrow im gonna check it out again but im gonna try disconnecting the fan belt to narrow my search to either definitely rockers or front engine stuff. Ill take a video tomorrow but it sounds like a rocker noise but what do i know.

Is it possible for a bad water pump bearing to mimic a dry rocker noise?

Thanks,
Ryan

Fact, fan belt can make kind of a grinding noise, I changed a water pump because I was sure it was bad . :banghead:
Exhaust leaks can sound like a tappet lifter or rod knock.
Vacuum leaks can make a lot of odd sounds...Completely tore down my freshly rebuild 200 after I bent two rods, it make a binding sound when barring over by hand...Nothing wrong. :oops: Just a small vacuum leak.

I'll check it all today. The exhaust leak dont suprise me though.

Thanks a lot man!
Ill let you all know how it goes

I like the H2O pump idea. Get the GMB if needing 1.
I have not followed ur 'new motor'/swap motor, changes. If it's a motor w/a few miles on it
it also needs a good "flush the oil system" kinda thing. The oil pressure will tell the tail there.

So the noise disappears entirely when the Vbelt is disconnected. Its either the water pump or alt. Both are less than 2 years old :(. Ill post a video and a link here shortly. My guess is the water pump

How about when you tightened the front head bolt that goes into the water jacket it got it *just* into the water pump impeller....

Based on your removing the vbelt test I am 99.9% sure you are right it is one of those (or the head bolt hitting internally like Econoline suggests). If neither of those test out though, I once ran into a worn front main bearing issue that made noise when cold when the belts were installed and pulling the crank up, but went away with the belts off. This was on a V-8 though, with a high upward belt load- water pump, alternator, power steering, and A/C. Interestingly I found that Ford actually put out a TSB back in the day for this sort of issue, but IIRC it was for V-8 only. With 7 crank bearings and the more side angle location of accessories on the engine, I think it's unlikely that would happen on a six cylinder.

Econoline":2cxmob2k said:
How about when you tightened the front head bolt that goes into the water jacket it got it *just* into the water pump impeller....
I just wiggled my fan and its the water pump bearing. Im peeved. Dont buy rockauto guys.

So ultimately, this is not an oil issue. Lol. Im gonna get a new one and try that. If it still nakes the noise, what would yoy recommend loosening and retorquing that bolt to? Currently its at 72lbft

The GMB looks promising chad. Thats the aluminum one in the handbook. Any benefit to the alum one rather the cast one?

If it is the bolt, you'll have to shorten it. If it's hitting it now, it's probably b/c the bearing is shot.

Econoline":xedi1xhp said:
If it is the bolt, you'll have to shorten it. If it's hitting it now, it's probably b/c the bearing is shot.

If i spin it by hand i get a weird hum but no hitting noise. But its also not under load. But if its not hitting when the belt aint hooked up, that just means the bearing is shot, right?

no, impeller's not turninig into "too long bolt" as well (2: bering & bolt simeltaniouly).

Anyway 2 answ ur Q: I wuz not aware of Handbk cite when I bought - I bought due to larger/spec shaped impeller. It
is for a/c equiped car so pushes more H2O around or may B it's actually same amount - faster? Take a look at how it
is designed differently than others on all the on-line pics. Click to flip them onto their back/motor side. C 'fins'.

I went ahead and ordered it from summit. The review it had on there said it was good, and it was mentioned in the handbook so it must be good.

Thanks a lot guys! Will update on thursday when i do it.

push yer finger up in there to feel 4 bolt (unless U took offa 1/4 inch B4 tqin dwn),
Look @ impeller 4 damage frm the bolt,
spin it by hand B4 any liquid gasket is applied 2 C if it hits...

chad":2rg1fxea said:
push yer finger up in there to feel 4 bolt (unless U took offa 1/4 inch B4 tqin dwn),
Look @ impeller 4 damage frm the bolt,
spin it by hand B4 any liquid gasket is applied 2 C if it hits...
Already planned on it man. Thanks a lot!

If you can move the wtr pump shaft in any lateral direction across it's axis and it's got play it's done.

:rolflmao: Yes and a bad water pump can sound like a good water pump even if it's only 2 or 3 months old! I had replaced the water pump on my 1977 Maverick in summer of 77 with a rebuilt cast iron water pump. :shock: This pump didn't leak or have any bearing noise but within a short amount of time the cast impeller had disintegrated so there was no flow. :nod:

Back