Oil Pressure

Howdy Back Ryan and all:

About water pumps, FYI, please note that the later model aluminum water pump has a longer snout. If clearance is an issue, be warned. Also the AC water pumps did move more coolant through the cooling system but also took more HP than the non-AC water pumps. Not a lot of HP but if that matters to you there it is.

The reason we searched out the late model aluminum bodied water pumps was because I put a 250 engine into my '65 Ranchero. The additional weight on the front end of the car was really noticeable in its handling. We were looking for ways to reduce front end weight- Moved battery to the back and looked into the aluminum water pump. But the longer snout ruled it out in my case.

I hope that is useful information to you. Good luck and keep it coming.

Adios, David

Which part is the snout? I dont have any clearance issues so far. Is that the piece that goes off to the side for the lower radiator hose? I currently have an AC cast iron water pump on it so i wont notice any difference in power lol. I plan to go to an electric fan so that'll regain some horsepower then.

Howdy Bac k Ryan:

The snout is the part that holds the shaft from the impeller to the fan blade mount. The snout houses two bushings and a seal. It expends from the water pump forward to the fan mount. I'm guessing that it adds about an inch to engine length. You'll find a photo comparison on page 44 (depending on what edition you have) of The Handbook. Or compare the photo in the Summit catalog to yours. The long snout water pumps first appeared with the 1979 200s in Fairmonts and Mustangs.

Adios, David

Oh crap then that wont work with a stock 66' engine. My dampener wont line up. Well ill find out how it all works out when i get it. Hopefully the snout aint long or i gotta return it.

The one off of summit said it is good for 60-7something. The review it has was for a 66' so hopefully it'll be good

Back