Does this bear further investigation?

Georgia200

Plan A is to install my new carb and be on the road this weekend.

Plan B is to figure out what I am going to do this winter. Rebuild what I have, rebuild something else.

What is your opinion of this? All I know is what I see in the pic.

Hi, you probably need the complete long block rebuilt. You have to at least pull the head to see more. Good luck

Does it turn over by hand? I'd imagine that several valves or pistons are seized if it's just been sitting outside like that, uncovered without a carb.

Howdy Back Georgia and All:

The engine in the photo appears to be a late model 200 that appears to be in good shape- no apparent leaks and not road weary dirty. Based on what I see, I say it is a good bet to be a runner. Before I would decide, I pull the valve cover for a closer inspection. I'd also want to know that it turns over. I'd remove the spark plugs for inspection and take a peek into each spark plug hole. If that much reveals no apparent problems I'd proceed with finding a carb and running it.

I would ask the previous owner how it ran? How many miles on it? What is the price? How long has it been sitting like this?

My guess is that it is an 80s 200 removed to make way for a V8. Probably from a Mustang. Probably a good running 200 but the previous owner wanted to go to a V8. It appears to be a low mount starter engine, that would be good for mounting a V8 type transmission.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth. Given the choices, I'd probably opt for both. Can't wait to hear what you find and what you decide.

Adios, David

Looks like a 250 six to me! Finding the block and head casting numbers would help in IDing it further. Good luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":3ekcnrik said:
Looks like a 250 six to me! Finding the block and head casting numbers would help in IDing it further. Good luck (y) :nod:
It looks odd to me...I have one of each and I could go look, but right now my back is saying no you are not going anywhere .
Yesterday I was the hammer and today I am the nail. :banghead:

bubba22349":122upmd7 said:
X2 Also think that it is a 250

HOwdy Back all:

Hey Georgia- to solve the 200/250 question, here's some guides; 1st count the number of bolts holding the water pump on- 3 = 200, 4 = 250, the 250 block is taller by just over 10". So measure the height of the block, 8 1/16" = 200, over 10" = 250.

Also FYI, the late 200s could have either a high or low mount starter location. All 250s have a low mount starter location.

FYI- block and head casting codes are the same, more or less, on 200s as they are on 250s. So, casting codes alone will not ID this engine.

SO, Georgia, it's time for the reveal or, at least, more information.

Adios, David

Looking at how the block flares out for the crank at the bottom and the SBF looking bell pattern I think it's a 250. It looks like it has the large boss/bolt flange on the lower fwd passengers side of the block that 250's have as well.I'd go check it out iiwy

"... some guides; 1st count the number of bolts holding the water pump on- 3 = 200, 4 = 250, the 250 block is taller by just over 10". So measure the height of the block, 8 1/16" = 200, over 10" = 250.
Also FYI, the late 200s could have either a high or low mount starter location. All 250s have a low mount starter location.
FYI- block and head casting codes are the same, more or less, on 200s as they are on 250s. So, casting codes alone will not ID this engine...."

2X - faultless ID. Give the code offa intake'n (head) behind the dwn tube on exhaust (block). We'll ID than too...

Back