OCD and block assembly

63falconATX

About to drive a new dipstick tube into my refreshed block and realize I have no reference for dipstick depth into the pan.

200 block with 60's mustang/falcon pan. Does anyone know exactly how far below the bottom of the block the dipstick should extend?

Failing that I guess I can drive it in part ways and wait till its in the car with oil and drive it home.

Thanks in advance!

Don't know the exact amount but don't think it was very much maybe about 1/4 to 3/8 inch usally you can see how much it was in by the referance line on the old tube. Good luck (y) :nod:

You could tap the tube in just enough to hold it in there. Then once you have the engine filled w/ 4 1/2 Qt's and have you have run it tap it in until the dipstick is in the oil. Then measure the amount it needs tapped in further, put a ring of tape on the tube as a reference and tap it in the rest of the way. Assuming there isn't a step in the bore that holds the tube from going in to far. It's been so long since I did mine I can't remember.

Yup, that's my fallback plan as noted in the original post. Probably the most accurate way to do it.

No step in the tube so it shouldn't be a problem.

Yep it's actually hard to drive them in very far, good luck (y) :nod:

Checked four 200 rear and front dip stick blocks, length of tube up from the block, exposed is 2.960'' same on all even a E1BB.

Yes missed it by that much :)
I may have mis read the op post and edited to be more accurate.
The height of the tube will position the dip stick at the right height.

Next question, my cam is installed with spacer, dowel pin and thrust plate in correct orientation. Before putting the timing chainset on I notice the cam can move in/out as much as about .144". Is this normal? Does the timing gear work with the thrust plate to keep this all in check when running?

may B a new thread will get U better/the most action (due to title & confusion)?

Duz mah subject line above do it justice?

(think a search would turn up this thread frm earlier - ?Spring '18?).

Thanks Chad. Not seeing the thread you are referring to. I always to a pretty good search before asking questions. Thats why I tend to be a thread hi-jacker...

At any rate it does look like the pulley will take up the slack.

chad":30vr0xuh said:
may B a new thread will get U better/the most action (due to title & confusion)?

Duz mah subject line above do it justice?

(think a search would turn up this thread frm earlier - ?Spring '18?).

63falconATX":29jx2asx said:
Next question, my cam is installed with spacer, dowel pin and thrust plate in correct orientation. Before putting the timing chainset on I notice the cam can move in/out as much as about .144". Is this normal? Does the timing gear work with the thrust plate to keep this all in check when running?

Yes the Cams timing gear works togeather with the thrust plate to keep cam in correct position. It should have some clearance but I don't know if the .144 measurement is normal sounds a bit excessive. Did you happen to measure the cam spacer (wedding ring) thickness and the thrust plate thickness? I have seen some cam thrust plates that showed a lot of wear from oiling issues. Good luck (y) :nod:

Back