62 Comet 170 Carb upgrade problem

Chapa71

After researching on this forum I decided to go with an Autolite 1100 on the Stock 170

I was able to obtain what seems like an Autozone clone of a 1100 (pictured on the right)
and I got an Actual Autolite 1100 I was told it was an C5OF-Y off a 200 Mustang (pictured on the left)

[image]IMG_2717 by Juan Chapa, on Flickr[/image]

[image][IMG_2716 by Juan Chapa, on Flickr/image]

Here is the problem
The Autolite has an opening on the throttle that is wider than the manifold hole
and the linkage is set higher so my stock linkage wont work
Am I SOL on this Carb?
Could it have been identified incorrectly?

I don't feel comfortable installing the Autozone Clone cause I don't know if it is a higher CFM than my Stock Holley 1909
and that is goal

Any thoughts?

[image]IMG_2712 by Juan Chapa, on Flickr[/image]

[image]IMG_2710 by Juan Chapa, on Flickr[/image]

There are a severial simple ways that that bigger Autolite 200 carb can be fitted. A couple is by eigher by making a new aluminum adapter plate that is tappered from the large opening to the smaller head opening so the butterfly blade will clear without hitting. Or you could mod your existing adapter plate by filling a tapper into the top so it's funnel shaped and the blade clears. As far as the throdle linkage you could add a piece to make it longer (welding or threading so you can screw it togeather) or you could make a new one that's longer using some all thread and some new linkage ends available at many better auto parts stores like NAPA etc. Good luck (y) :nod:

aren't the yrs different? (smaller 4 earlier yrs) Ck the bolt spacing - I can't tell if 1 is for the lrger.
Also, on the side of the flange, is a stamped #. That is how U ID a carb most precisely.
I ck those #s over on Mike's Carbs to ID exactly what I hold in my hand (Y/M/M, jets, engine displac.).
U may not wish to go to that length but it sure helps me get a good start on nxt procedure(s).

Also 1 looks SCV, is the other?

Bubba,
Thanks! it looks Vintage Inlines may have a solution for me

Chad,
I agree 100% on looking stuff up. i was in a hurry and bought site unseen other than photo's
and the price was right.

SO...
Does anybody know if they make 65 Mustang carbs with the 1.75 opening and 1.5?
and from the research I have done, those early carbs may have not have had markings
can someone verify this?

here are some pics
the only Markings i can find is a Fomoco Stamp and a 1.29 Stamp

[image]IMG_2722 by Juan Chapa, on Flickr[/image]

[image][IMG_2721 by Juan Chapa, on Flickr/image]

[image]IMG_2718 by Juan Chapa, on Flickr[/image]

[image]IMG_2719 by Juan Chapa, on Flickr[/image]
IMG_2720 - Copy by Juan Chapa, on Flickr
[image][/image]

The bigger venturi is probably higher cfm. If you have the time you could keep looking around.
You could probably benefit from getting a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook as it covers in detail various autolite carbs and fitting them to the 170. From what i remember the 185 cfm Autolite from the 200 can be made to fit your 170 with a little work. Good luck it'll happen.

"...only Markings i can find is a Fomoco Stamp and a 1.29 Stamp..."
I C no "stamps", to me a stamp is an impression (not a casting) struck in to the metal. I've seen em on the edge (1 pic has a cross or + sign in the correct area) of the mounting flange. I don't C them on what U show in these pic. Almost like a hand held marker that's struck w/a hammer.

1101?
My Falcon Handbook states the 1101 has a throttle bore of 1 11/16" so maybe it is.

Howdy Juan and All:

Juan- let's start with the throttle bores. All 1100s had a T-bore of 1 7/16" and a bolt spacing of 2 5/8". The difference between a 144, a 170 and a 200 1100 carb was the inner diameter of the venturi, the plastic throat on the inside just above the butterfly valve. The 144s venturi throat was 1", the 170s was 1.10" and the 200 T-bore was 1.20". They are rated respectively at 130 cfm, 156 cfm and 185 cfm. All, up to 1968 will have a SCV.

If the t-bore on your new carb measures 1 11/16 you very likely have an Autolite 1101 rated at 210 cfm. There is no other external visual difference between the 1100 and the 1101. The inner diameter of the venturi on an 1101 measures 1.29". If yours is an 1101 and if it has a SCV it is likely from a "63-"64 Ford car with a 223 inline six. IF so, these carbs are very scarce. With slight modification to the carb hole on the head they are almost a direct bolt-on and work with the Load-o-Matic distributor.

It is not unusual for rebuliders to lump all 1100s and 1101 into the same rebuilder bin. Your carb looks to be in good shape. I will be most interested in what you find with the T-bore dimensions. Keep it coming.

Adios, David

First of all just received and read the Falcon Handbook and WOW! Great information

So I measured the bore and it is 1 11/16” and has 2 5/8” manifold bolt spacing
I am assuming this carb was mis identified as a 1100 when it is probably a 1101

Question:
Would the 210 CFM rating on a 1101 be too high for the stock 170?
From the research I have done the 1.20 Venturi 185 CFM carb is ideal for the 170

Thanks

Well the reality is that there is no such thing as too many CFMs for an engine, as engines will only consume as much air as they need. The fuel is the big thing that we get to control. Lots of time when someone says they have too much carb for their motor what they really mean is their jets are too big and they are getting too much fuel. 210 cfm should me more than enough for the 170 and their VE is not the greatest and even at 100% VE with the 4000 or so RPM limit of the cam they dont need anymore than that. I would run it and see if its running rich or lean and see if jets need to be changed. Glad to see its coming along :beer:

Cometman,

Thanks for the response that was very helpful.

Since the goal is to get this 170 running at its best with least modifications
I may just find an 1100 with the correct bore. And slowly start building a 200

The guy I bought the (what i believe to be an 1101) will take it back

I am actually heading to California for the holiday and may hit the pick a parts in the ol' San Joaquin Valley
for a correct 1100.

The Holley 1909 is working just fine right now so I just need a little patience HA HA!

By the way the Pertronix upgrade has been Night and Day

Howdy Back:

WOW!! you got a Christmas present early. Don't send it back. I don't know what you paid for it but someone on this forum will want it- badly. You may be able to trade it to someone that wants to upgrade their 1100 that still has a LoM ignition.

Good to hear your upgrade to a PetroniX worked out for you.

Adios, David

David,

You had mentioned it was scarce and had me thinking. Maybe your right, I may hang on to it.

Thanks

On my ‘62 144 3 speed, I use the Holley 1940. I tried the original (1909?), and the 1100, but went back to the 1940. Seem to get more power out of it.

Howdy All:

C Adams- Which #1940 version do you have? Is it rebuilt? Who rebuilt it?

Also since this is Chapa's thread, you may want to start your own thread and relate your experiences there. Just a thought, to keep it simple.

Adios, David

Back