Autolite 2100 mixture screw snapped

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

I got an autolite 2100 off a 66 289 with a 1.08 venturi. The carb tag says its a 72 carb. But anyhow, everything was seized and i got it all working smoothly. I tried to remove one of the mixture screws and it snapped. The other one came out fine. I'll be using an easy out but i gotta buy one first.

My question is, does it share the same mixture screw as the autolite 1100? I'm having a hard time finding a screw with the same length. Mike Carbs has a 1.466" for the 2100 but mine is a little shorter than that. Is that ok? I just don't want to start buying things and not need them.

Thanks,
Ryan

Howdy Ryan:

Merry Christmas. That's a new one on me. I've looked at lots of mixture screws from both 1100s and 2100s individually as I rebuild each carb. I have never done a comparison. My first guess is probably not. I'm not at home now or I'd go do a comparison.

FYI- there is a stamped code on the foot (mounting hole part of the base). That code may help you when ordering and/or identifying what you have.

I'll be interested to know what you find out so let us know.

Adios, David

"... easy out..."
I don't recommend that product (last choice).

weld-a-nut or weld-a-stud is 1st in the list (even alu)...

Gota pic?

chad":24xqspx7 said:
"... easy out..."
I don't recommend that product (last choice).

weld-a-nut or weld-a-stud is 1st in the list (even alu)...

Gota pic?
It broke flush with the carb. I don't have the equipment to even attempt anything other than the easy out. Next step would be to bring it to the machine shop

CZLN6":12onig8c said:
Howdy Ryan:

Merry Christmas. That's a new one on me. I've looked at lots of mixture screws from both 1100s and 2100s individually as I rebuild each carb. I have never done a comparison. My first guess is probably not. I'm not at home now or I'd go do a comparison.

FYI- there is a stamped code on the foot (mounting hole part of the base). That code may help you when ordering and/or identifying what you have.

I'll be interested to know what you find out so let us know.

Adios, David
I'll check for the code, thanks!
Yeah I was just curious. I would think it could make finding a replacement screw easier

Will do!

4 me that sz easy out just 'buggers' the whole thing up.
Just one guy's solution?: center punch, progressive drill sz to just below threads,
use pick to chip off thread chips frm wall's threads. Some times a re-tap to clean up.
sometimes for new bigger ID, sometimes none of this just exact same sz screw. The tig
(& mig) here can do alu & often a nut tacked thru its center to the broken stud duz it (Y?
cuz the heat of the weld loosens & the new nut is attached so a surface to wrench on).
Good Luck, I enjoy problem solving (& even "over engineering". I cut our cord wood use in 1/2
while keepin the same ambient temps buy futzin around w/'bosses' wood stove).

:unsure: If you try the drill it out route,you might be well served to get a set of LEFT HAND drill bits.They might be a bit spendy,but can save a lot of headaches down the road.Any quality tool supplier should be able to supply them.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

The problem with drilling it out is that if you drill through you will ruin the carb You'll have to be very careful and mark the depth on the bit with some tape and only drill deep enough to get just past the threaded bit.

I picked up some screw extractors from Harbor Freight. I've never been in one before, i swear I'll go broke if i go back in there haha.

I'll give the small one a try on sunday probably. We shall see how it goes. I really dont want to toss the carb since its a 1.08. I hate having to buy more crap.

"...hate having to buy more crap..."
hear ya there. Also on a HF visit.
TOOLS aint crap, tho. All ways enjoy nother tool.

tack,
reverse drill bit,
progressive dia drill~
'easy out' 6th or 7th

have fun

drag-200stang":g6hqzqzp said:
Frankly I would just work around it...It may be perfect just as it is set.
Its screwed in perty far. Im just gonna ditch it. Ive started hitting the carb body with the drill and i think its time to quit.

Back